Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
France Outraged by
Trump's NRA Remarks
May 7, 2018 6:45 AM CDT
France Outraged by Trump's NRA Remarks
Hollande calls comment on terror attack 'despicable'
- Former French President Francois Hollande has two words for President Trump's claim that gun-toting Parisians could have thwarted ISIS attackers at Paris' Bataclan concert hall: "indecent and despicable." French anger erupted over the weekend at Trump's comments to the National Rifle Association —and especially at...
in Its Youngest
May 14, 2017 5:32 AM CDT
France Swears in Its Youngest Leader Since Napoleon
Emmanuel Macron inaugurated, says all nations 'are neighbors'
- France has inaugurated new president, Emmanuel Macron, a 39-year-old independent centrist who was elected on May 7, reports the AP . Arriving Sunday at the Elysee presidential palace in Paris, Macron slowly marched alone, under a light rain, in the Elysee courtyard. He shook hands with his predecessor, Francois Hollande, at...
France Votes: 11 Candidates,
Evacuation, Topless Protesters
Apr 23, 2017 5:57 AM CDT
France Votes: 11 Candidates, Evacuation, Topless Protesters
It could be a wild day in Round 1 of election
- A voting station in eastern France has reopened after being evacuated because of a suspicious vehicle parked nearby. Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told the AP that the voting station in Besancon was evacuated while explosives experts examined the car, but they deemed there to be no risk. He said...
France's Left Picks Politician
Who Calls Bernie a Role Model
Jan 30, 2017 10:11 AM CST
France's Left Picks Politician Who Calls Bernie a Role Model
Benoit Hamon will represent Socialist Party in country's presidential election
- A French politician who names Bernie Sanders among his left-wing role models won an easy victory in the country's Socialist primary runoff against Manuel Valls on Sunday. Benoit Hamon will represent France's ruling Socialist Party in the country's presidential election in April-May against Conservative Francois Fillon, far-right...
Dec 28, 2016 6:05 PM CST
Frenchwoman Who Killed Abusive Husband Is Pardoned
Jacqueline Sauvage says she had been physically abused for nearly 50 years
- A woman who killed her husband in 2012 was released Wednesday after receiving a full pardon from the president of France, the BBC reports. According to the
, 69-year-old Jacqueline Sauvage shot her husband three times in the back with a hunting rifle the day after their son killed himself....
Chaos, Horror in Nice
Jul 15, 2016 1:21 AM CDT
Witnesses Describe Chaos, Horror in Nice
Parents threw kids to safety as truck plowed through crowd
- Witnesses have described scenes of chaos, terror, and panic as an attacker drove a heavy truck through a crowd gathered to watch Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, France, on Thursday night, killing at least 80 people. Large numbers of families had gathered along the seafront Promenade des Anglais, and witnesses...
$11K a Month
Jul 14, 2016 8:21 AM CDT
This Haircut Costs France $11K a Month
President Francois Hollande pays stylist thousands to maintain his sparse tresses
- A satirical French magazine recently printed a barber's tab that indicated Francois Hollande pays around $11,000 each month to maintain the modest amount of hair on his head—except the tab was no joke, Bloomberg reports. "Everyone needs their hair done, no?" a government rep confirms. "...
Woman Jailed for
Feb 1, 2016 2:01 PM CST
Woman Jailed for Killing Abusive Husband Wins Rare Pardon
French president shortens sentence of woman who killed violent spouse
- Thanks to French President Francois Hollande, Jacqueline Sauvage will be leaving a French prison in April after serving three and a half years of a 10-year sentence for killing her husband, the
reports. Sauvage—who said Norbert Marot, her husband of 47 years, was an alcoholic who raped and...
to Join the Army
Nov 27, 2015 11:27 AM CST
After Attacks, French Flock to Join the Army
Injured survivors stretchered in to memorial service
- Among ordinary French people, the response to the Paris terror attacks has been remarkably similar to the US response to 9/11. The number of people applying to join the French military has quintupled, with people of all ages descending on recruitment offices, the
New York Times
'Ready to Cooperate'
Nov 27, 2015 3:35 AM CST
Putin: Russia 'Ready to Cooperate' Against ISIS
French president says they agreed to 'strike terrorists only'
- The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against ISIS, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad. ISIS has claimed responsibility for deadly attacks against both of the countries' citizens in recent weeks, and Francois Hollande and Vladimir...
Obama: Turkey Has Right
to Defend Its Airspace
Nov 24, 2015 1:18 PM CST
Obama: Turkey Has Right to Defend Its Airspace
Also: 'Nous sommes tous Francais'
- President Obama and French President Francois Hollande met Tuesday in the wake of the Paris terror attacks, with perhaps the most newsworthy moment coming when they were asked about Turkey's shooting down of a Russian jet. "Turkey, like every country, has the right to defend its territory and...
for 2nd Night
Nov 17, 2015 4:03 AM CST
France Pounds ISIS Stronghold for 2nd Night
Hollande urges others to join fight against 'terrorism factory'
- France has fired new airstrikes on the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, days after deadly attacks in Paris linked to the group. The strikes early Tuesday destroyed a command post and training camp, a military spokesman says. France conducted sweeping raids Sunday night on Raqqa , and the French president...
Paris Death Toll
Rises to 60 as
Nov 13, 2015 5:16 PM CST
Paris Death Toll Rises to 60 as France Closes Borders
President Obama pledges to help
- French media are reporting least 60 people are dead in Friday's Paris attacks , per Reuters . Multiple, apparently coordinated gun and bomb attacks hit almost simultaneously, and at least 100 hostages were reportedly being held at a concert hall after one of the shootings. There were reportedly as many as...
Wine to Get
Nov 11, 2015 1:17 PM CST
France Needs Wine to Get Through Dinner With Iran
Really leaning into that cultural stereotype, France
- They say we should embrace our differences. But they never tried to come between a Frenchman and his wine. The
reports on some dinner drama adding tension to Iranian president Hassan Rouhani's first official visit to Europe, which starts this weekend. Apparently Rouhani and French president Franç...
Sep 27, 2015 5:44 AM CDT
Targeting ISIS, France Airstrikes 'Hit Syria'
Hollande turns firepower on Assad's territory after concerns about refugee crisis
- France has fired its first airstrikes in Syria as it expands military operations against Islamic State extremists, President Francois Hollande's office announced today. The office said that "France has hit Syria" based on information from French reconnaissance flights sent earlier this month. France has been firing airstrikes on...
France Fumes Over
'Unacceptable' US Spying
Jun 24, 2015 6:44 AM CDT
France Fumes Over 'Unacceptable' US Spying
Summons US ambassador to Paris amid emergency meetings
- Surprise: France isn't thrilled by claims that the US spied on its past three presidents , including current leader Francois Hollande, and has now summoned its US ambassador to the foreign ministry in Paris, reports the AP . Hollande, who calls the US spying an "unacceptable" security breach, held two...
WikiLeaks: US Spied
on 3 French Presidents
Jun 23, 2015 7:12 PM CDT
WikiLeaks: US Spied on 3 French Presidents
Expect an angry response from Paris
- A strange one, courtesy of WikiLeaks: The US eavesdropped on three French presidents, learning among other things that France was angry the US was eavesdropping on it. That tidbit is courtesy of a new WikiLeaks disclosure that the NSA wiretapped current French leader Francois Hollande and predecessors Nicolas Sarkozy and...
US, Germany Stand
Tight on Achieving
Feb 9, 2015 2:11 PM CST
US, Germany Stand Tight on Achieving Ukraine Peace
But Obama and Angela Merkel disagree on arming Ukraine against Russia
- To arm or not to arm Ukraine is the question—and although the US and Germany may not agree on the answer to that question, for now they're presenting a unified front in finding a solution to Ukraine's conflict with Russia. President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel...
'Dire' Ukraine Situation
Getting Worse: US
Feb 5, 2015 9:10 AM CST
'Dire' Ukraine Situation Getting Worse: US
Russia 'failing miserably' at peace as Kerry, other world leaders head to Kiev
- Despite Vladimir Putin's posturing for a peaceful resolution to the Russia-Ukraine conflict , a senior US State Department official says Eastern Ukraine's security position is "dire" and Russia is "failing miserably" in its peace efforts, CNN reports. The official spoke today on John Kerry's plane as...
Rally in Its History
Jan 11, 2015 12:07 PM CST
Defiant France Holds Biggest Rally in Its History
'Unprecedented' demonstration held in reaction to Charlie Hebdo attack
- Leaders from across the globe descended on Paris today to stand by the side of French President Francois Hollande, as hordes of his countrymen crowded into the capital's iconic Republique Square to defiantly proclaim "Je Suis Charlie" in a rally to honor the 17 killed over the course...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.