Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
LA's Gnarly Commute
Just Got Worse
Nov 13, 2023 7:26 AM CST
LA's Gnarly Commute Just Got Worse
Fire causes damage to Los Angeles interstate, drivers are urged to take mass transit on Monday
- Los Angeles motorists should expect traffic snarls during the Monday commute as crews assess how much damage was caused by a raging fire over the weekend that closed a major elevated interstate near downtown, officials said. Hazardous materials teams were clearing burned material from underneath Interstate 10 to make way...
Don't Put This on Your Steering
Wheel, Regulators Warn
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 11, 2023 4:45 PM CST
Don't Put This on Your Steering Wheel, Regulators Warn
Decorative aftermarket decals can dislodge in crash, cause serious injury
- US regulators are warning drivers to steer clear of aftermarket decals used to embellish a car's logo on the center of its steering wheel. Such metal or plastic emblems—which are typically adorned with rhinestones or other decorations and attached to the steering wheel with an adhesive back—can...
Your City May Not Permit
Right-on-Red Turns for Long
Nov 4, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Your City May Not Permit Right-on-Red Turns for Long
More are looking closely at prohibiting the practice after spike in accidents with pedestrians, cyclists
- A dramatic rise in accidents killing or injuring pedestrians and bicyclists has led to a myriad of policy and infrastructure changes, but moves to ban right-on-red turns have drawn some of the most intense sentiments on both sides, per the AP . The City Council in Washington, DC, last year approved...
This Is the Most
Dangerous City to Drive In
Oct 24, 2023 5:43 PM CDT
This Is the Most Dangerous City to Drive In
Detroit is the most risky, while New York is safest, per SellMax
- There's a risk anytime you get behind the wheel, but driving in some places is more dangerous than others. Using stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, SellMax looked at cities across the US, grouping fatality data based on speeding, DUIs, and other variables. The car-selling site found...
This Is the Worst City
in America for Driving
Oct 10, 2023 12:04 PM CDT
This Is the Worst City in America for Driving
California's Oakland is last in WalletHub's rankings; Texas' Corpus Christi is the best city to drive in
- Getting behind the wheel can mean a nice, leisurely cruise with nary a pothole—or it can be a chaotic, horn-honking nightmare through congested city streets. WalletHub looked at the 100 most populated US cities to see where drivers have it easiest, using 30 metrics across three main categories: safety,...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
US Cities to Be Car-Less
Nov 15, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Be Car-Less
You don't need wheels to get around San Francisco, per LawnStarter
- In some places, not having a car could adversely affect everything from employment opportunities to how you spend your downtime. LawnStarter wanted to see where a vehicle isn't as necessary for your daily routine, so it looked at the 200 largest cities in the US to measure their standings...
This State Is the Best One
Jan 18, 2022 11:38 AM CST
This State Is the Best One for Driving
Iowa is No. 1 in new ranking
- Views notwithstanding, you're likely to have a better time driving in Iowa than Hawaii. So says WalletHub , which ranked the states on how well they provide "positive driving experiences." What constitutes a positive driving experience? A lot. The site factored in everything from traffic congestion to road...
Study Shows Goldfish Might
Know More Than You Think
Jan 12, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Study Shows Goldfish Might Know More Than You Think
They 'have the cognitive ability to learn a complex task' in an unfamiliar environment
- It's Dr. Seuss meets science: Israeli researchers have taught six goldfish how to "drive," or, more specifically, direct their tanks-on-wheels in a deliberate manner. In a study published in
Behavioural Brain Research
, scientists at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev write that "navigation is a critical ability...
10 Best and Worst
US Cities for Drivers
Aug 31, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
10 Best and Worst US Cities for Drivers
Sorry, commuters of Oakland
- Oakland comes in dead last in a ranking of the best and worst US cities in which to drive by WalletHub . By contrast, Raleigh, North Carolina, earns the top honors. Among the factors: traffic jams, the cost of buying and owning a car, the accident rate (even the rate of...
State Senator on Zoom Call:
Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Apr 7, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
State Senator on Zoom Call: Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Rebecca Saldana admitted she attended virtual hearing while driving in Washington state
- Washington state Sen. Rebecca Saldana has voted in support of penalties for distracted driving. She's also vice chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, which makes it especially surprising that she opted to break a distracted-driving law during a virtual hearing of that committee on Tuesday. The Democrat representing parts...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Drive In
Jan 19, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Drive In
You'll be cruising pretty in Texas, trying to tame your road rage in Hawaii
- There's still not a lot to do these days as we continue our weary march through the pandemic, but at least going for a drive can be a nice escape—unless you're in Hawaii, that is. That's the surprising last-place entry in WalletHub's new ranking of...
This Is the Worst
US City to Drive In
Sep 1, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
This Is the Worst US City to Drive In
Oakland is no smooth ride, but you'll be cruising right along in Lincoln, Neb.
- While more of us are telecommuting during the pandemic, WalletHub notes that many prefer to drive rather than take public transportation in the COVID-19 era, so it looked at the 100 largest cities in the country to see where driving is the best—and the worst. The site examined 31...
Guy Charged With Felony
for Being a 'Cool Father'
Jun 11, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
Guy Charged With Felony for Being a 'Cool Father'
Shaun Michaelsen, 41, was arrested in Florida
- A Florida man is facing felony charges after police said he let a 12-year-old girl drive his SUV and told her to speed because he wanted to be a "cool father"—even though he is not her dad, the AP reports. Shaun Michaelsen, 41, told the arresting officer...
Utah Cop Pulls Over Driver
Headed to Calif. He Was 5
May 5, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Utah Cop Pulls Over Driver Headed to Calif. He Was 5
Adrian's ride was a Dodge Journey
- A 5-year-old hoping to make it to California came up short Monday when he was caught driving on a Utah interstate. Utah Highway Patrol trooper Rick Morgan noticed a car swerving so badly on Interstate 15 in Ogden that he expected to find a person needing medical attention, per CBS...
Fast and Furious
Are Taking to the Streets
Apr 17, 2020 10:29 AM CDT
Fast and Furious
Wannabes' Are Taking to the Streets
Safety officials note a big spike in speeding and reckless driving
- With most people forced to stay at home during the coronavirus pandemic, some of the ones who are still driving around are taking the opportunity to get reckless on the road. Per the Governors Highway Safety Association, road safety officials say there's been a "severe spike" in speeding...
In These States,
It's Driver Beware
Jan 21, 2020 4:32 PM CST
In These States, It's Driver Beware
WalletHub ranking considers infrastructure, traffic, and more
- Traffic in New York City is notoriously bad, but it's not enough to sour driving in the state, which comes middle of the pack in a new ranking of the best and worst US states in which to drive. There's much more than traffic to consider. Indeed, WalletHub...
They Drove Across
the US in 27 Hours
Dec 10, 2019 4:14 PM CST
They Drove Across the US in 27 Hours
It's a 'Cannonball' record, and a highly illegal one at that
- They got into their car in Manhattan just before 1am on November 10. They pulled into a hotel parking lot in Los Angeles the following morning. More specifically, Arne Toman, Doug Tabbutt, and Berkeley Chadwick completed their cross-country road trip in an astonishing 27 hours and 25 minutes, reports
Guy Actually Did This.
Then Posted the Video
Nov 2, 2019 1:23 PM CDT
Guy Actually Did This. Then Posted the Video
Driver in Cyprus allegedly drove his heavy vehicle with only 2 feet ... in socks
- Cypriot police have charged a man who allegedly drove his heavy vehicle on a main highway with only his feet on the wheel and live-streamed footage of the stunt, the AP reports. Police said Friday they managed to identify the 43-year-old suspect from the video, which was shown on social...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.