Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
King's Secret Code Is
Broken 500 Years Later
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2022 11:25 AM CST
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
Letter reveals Charles V's fears of French assassination plot
- For the first time, researchers are reading about a rumored French plot to assassinate King Charles V of Spain in his own words—or symbols, rather. The information was only revealed after six months of "painstaking" work by codebreakers, per AFP . It's no secret that Charles V and...
Man's Claim of Finding Unseen
Massacre Photos in Doubt
Sep 3, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Man's Claim of Finding Unseen Massacre Photos in Doubt
30 photos left at pawn shop in Minnesota may or may not depict the Rape of Nanjing
- Evan Kail, owner of the St. Louis Park Gold and Silver shop in Minnesota, is known as the "Pawn Man" on TikTok, where he shares videos of some of the unique items that arrive in his shop. But he would only show part of a photo album that arrived...
Starting at 7, Russians
to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Apr 20, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Starting at 7, Russians to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Students will be taught their country didn't mistreat Ukraine
- After being accused of committing atrocities in Ukraine , and facing global opposition for its invasion, Russia is taking a step to control the narrative among its people early. The Education Ministry has announced the starting age for compulsory history lessons in its schools will be 7, down from 10. It'...
Science Solves Mystery in
Marie Antoinette Love Letter
Oct 2, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Science Solves Mystery in Marie Antoinette Love Letter
Imaging technology reveals words the recipient scribbled over
- “Not without you.” “My dear friend.” “You that I love." Marie Antoinette sent these expressions of affection—or more?—in letters to her close friend and rumored lover Axel von Fersen. Someone later used dark ink to scribble over the words, apparently to dampen...
7 Years Historians Say
Were Worse Than 2020
in case you missed it
Jan 3, 2021 6:30 PM CST
7 Years Historians Say Were Worse Than 2020
The US has seen plenty of bad times
- You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd say 2020 was great, but a group of 28 historians says there have been other years in US history that were even worse than this one, CBS News reports. In a survey conducted by self-help therapy app company Bloom, the academics...
Utah Senator Blocks
National Latino Museum
Dec 11, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Utah Senator Blocks National Latino Museum
And one for women, with Mike Lee saying we don't need 'separate but equal' Smithsonian museums
- For more than 25 years, there's been an effort to establish a national Latino museum within the Smithsonian Institution's museum family. And that dream seemed closer to coming to fruition this week, with bipartisan legislation toward that end on the Senate table. Enter Utah Sen. Mike Lee, who...
New Research Takes
'Odious' View of History
Nov 18, 2020 6:25 PM CST
New Research Takes 'Odious' View of History
The Odeuropa project gives European history a good whiff
- Ever said, "Oh, that smells nasty?" Then you were part of history. Case in point: A team of scientists and historians is embarking on a plan to catalogue the smells of Europe over time and see what they say about society, the
New York Times
reports. The new $3....
Henry VIII Laid Out Details
of Famous Execution
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Henry VIII Laid Out Details of Famous Execution
Tudor document shows the king's instructions on the fate of Anne Boleyn
- A passage in a 16th-century record book is getting fresh attention as it shows that King Henry VIII planned Anne Boleyn's execution to the letter. "For years, his trusty adviser Thomas Cromwell has got the blame. But this shows, actually, it's Henry pulling the strings," Tudor...
So Why Is
Aug 26, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
She Made Film History. So Why Is She Mostly Unknown?
A new documentary revives the career of Alice Guy-Blaché
- Heard of Alice Guy-Blaché? Don't worry, you're not alone. That's why there's a new documentary about the pre-World War I film pioneer, the Smithsonian reports. Born in 1873, Guy-Blaché directed hundreds of movies and was among the first to use synchronized sound, close-ups, and hand-tinted...
History Is Tainted by
Aug 20, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
History Is Tainted by 'National Narcissism'
Russians, Brits, Americans all claim more than 50% of effort in WWII
- We may be deceiving ourselves in teaching history born from "national narcissism," per a new study . "People are highly ethnocentric in viewing their own nation's influence, even in remembering the (nominally) same event: World War II," say researchers from Washington University in St. Louis. They...
For World-Famous Banking
Family, an Era Is Over
Jan 26, 2019 2:40 PM CST
For World-Famous Banking Family, an Era Is Over
The Rothschilds sell off historic estate in Austria
- Good on your 19th and 20th-century history? Then you'll appreciate that this marks the end of an era, Bloomberg reports. The Rothschild family, once the Habsburg empire's main financier, is selling its last piece of property in Austria. Family heir Bettina Burr has approved the sale of two...
He Saved Hemingway's Life
at 18. Now He Has a Name
Jan 22, 2019 4:32 PM CST
He Saved Hemingway's Life at 18. Now He Has a Name
Author, historian identify Fedele Temperini as wartime savior
- Ernest Hemingway made it out of World War I only because a soldier was "blown to bits," as the
puts it. Now you have Fedele Temperini to thank in part for classics like
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea
. Researchers have...
One Particular Year May
Have Been Worst for Humans
Nov 20, 2018 8:35 AM CST
One Particular Year May Have Been Worst for Humans
Be glad you avoided 536
- It's an interesting bar bet for armchair historians: Name the worst year in human history. For Harvard medieval historian Michael McCormack, the smart money is on 536. "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year," he tells...
The Vote Is In:
Hillary Set to Be
Cut From Texas
Sep 15, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
The Vote Is In: Hillary Set to Be Cut From Texas History Lessons
And also Helen Keller, if state Board of Education's vote is finalized in November
- The Texas Board of Education says it's trying to "streamline" the social studies curriculum in its public schools, and one way it plans on doing so is by getting rid of two big names from the required learning plan. The
Dallas Morning News
reports that on Friday, the...
Teacher on Leave After
'Gross' Slavery Assignment
Apr 20, 2018 9:57 AM CDT
Teacher on Leave After 'Gross' Slavery Assignment
Worksheet at Texas charter school asked students to list both negative and positive aspects of slavery
- When Roberto Livar's wife picked up their son Wednesday from Great Hearts Monte Vista charter school in San Antonio, Texas, the 8
-grader was "distraught" over an assignment in history class, Livar tells KABB . The worksheet he completed was entitled "The Life of Slaves: A Balanced View,"...
Marco Polo's Will Only
Boosts His Travel Lore
Apr 18, 2018 8:03 AM CDT
Marco Polo's Will Only Boosts His Travel Lore
Mention of Tatar indentured servant suggests he did reach China
- In 1298, Marco Polo wrote a manuscript, now dubbed
The Travels of Marco Polo
, describing his adventures along the Silk Road to China, his meeting with Mongol ruler Kublai Khan, and the innovations he came across, like eyeglasses. In the centuries since, some historians have doubted whether the Venetian actually...
The Most Important Event
in the History of Each State
Mar 23, 2018 6:39 PM CDT
The Most Important Event in the History of Each State
Yes, even Nebraska
- Every state has been home to at least one major historical event—yes, even Nebraska—and 24/7 Wall St. has picked the most majorly historical event for each of the 50 states. The website chose the events—which range from court battles to actual battles, scientific discoveries to natural disasters—...
2 Men Alive Today
Are Grandkids of
Our 10th President
Mar 8, 2018 8:44 AM CST
2 Men Alive Today Are Grandkids of Our 10th President
John Tyler's descendants have second wives to thank
- "I think it had to do with second wives." Pretty much. CBS News is out with a good bit of historical trivia: John Tyler, who was born in 1790 when George Washington was president and became America's 10th president in 1841, has two living grandsons. As the...
France Wouldn't Loan This to
Queen in 1953. Now, a Change
Jan 17, 2018 8:21 AM CST
France Wouldn't Loan This to Queen in 1953. Now, a Change
Bayeux Tapestry is expected to be loaned to the UK
- As the story goes, before Queen Elizabeth's 1953 coronation, Britain asked France if it might borrow the storied Bayeux Tapestry. The answer was no. Heinrich Himmler was also unsuccessful in transferring it to Nazi Germany. The 220-foot-long tapestry, which is on permanent display in Bayeux, France, has not left...
Sep 15, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Is 'Required Viewing'
Critic calls 18-hour series a 'masterpiece'
- A decade in the making, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's documentary series,
The Vietnam War
, premieres on PBS Sunday, but it's already gaining quite the reputation among critics. The 18-hour documentary, told in 10 episodes, digs deep into the conflict, meshing first-person interviews with historical footage. Then it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.