Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Navy Makes a
Move in the Red Sea
Apr 13, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
US Navy Makes a Move in the Red Sea
Says new task force will patrol the body of water
- The US Navy said Wednesday it will begin a new task force with allied countries to patrol the Red Sea after a series of attacks attributed to Yemen's Houthi rebels in a waterway that's essential to global trade. The AP reports Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, who oversees the...
Airstrike on Prison
Kills at Least 70
Jan 21, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Airstrike on Prison Kills at Least 70
Death toll in Yemen expected to grow
- The health minister in the rebel government set up by Yemen’s Houthi rebels says an airstrike on a rebel-run detention facility in the country's north early on Friday killed at least 70 detainees. The minister, Taha al-Motawakel, told the AP in the rebel-held Yemeni capital of Sanaa that...
Rare Drone Attack
Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Jan 17, 2022 4:33 PM CST
Rare Drone Attack Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Yemeni Houthi rebels claim responsibility
- A rare attack in the United Arab Emirates killed at least three people Monday and the commander of American forces at a nearby base says they are ready to assist UAE authorities if needed. Authorities say that in a drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels, three tanker trucks...
Abandoned Red Sea Tanker
Is Disaster Waiting to Happen
Oct 11, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Abandoned Red Sea Tanker Is Disaster Waiting to Happen
It's on the verge of dumping out four times as much oil as the Exxon Valdez
- A ghost ship holding more than a million barrels of crude oil is rotting in the Red Sea. It could just sink. Or it could explode. And if either of those things happens, millions of people will be without water, on top of the environmental devastation, the
Cavers Say They Made It
to Bottom of the 'Well of Hell'
Sep 23, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
Cavers Say They Made It to Bottom of the 'Well of Hell'
They found snakes in Yemen sinkhole, but no sign of a gateway to the underworld
- For untold centuries, the Well of Barhout in eastern Yemen, also known as the Well of Hell, has been feared by locals who believe it is a gateway to the underworld or a prison for genies. A team of Omani cavers, however, say they descended to the bottom and found...
Smugglers Throw Migrants
Overboard, Killing at Least 20
Mar 4, 2021 12:07 PM CST
Smugglers Throw Migrants Overboard, Killing at Least 20
UN agency says 80 migrants were tossed into sea during passage to Yemen
- Smugglers threw some 80 migrants off a boat that was crossing from East Africa to the Arabian Peninsula on Wednesday, resulting in at least 20 drowning deaths, according to a UN agency. Yvonne Ndege of the UN's International Organization for Migration said at least five bodies were taken from...
Biden Makes Big Break
From Trump on Foreign Policy
Feb 5, 2021 7:09 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Break From Trump on Foreign Policy
'This war must end,' he says of Yemen conflict
- President Biden, declaring that "America is back," delivered his first diplomatic address as president Thursday. He outlined several policies that reverse those of the Trump administration, and one that also breaks with an Obama administration policy that he helped shape, the
New York Times
reports. Biden, calling Saudi...
Americans in Saudi
Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Jan 23, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Embassy to Americans in Saudi Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Kingdom claims missile or drone interception in Riyadh, maybe launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels
- Saudi Arabia said Saturday it intercepted an apparent missile or drone attack over its capital, Riyadh, amid the kingdom's yearslong war against neighboring Yemen's Houthi rebels. Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh. Saudi state TV quoted authorities...
Critics Raise Alarm on
11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Jan 12, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Critics Raise Alarm on 11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Designation of Houthi rebels as terrorists could make it harder to deliver food amid crisis
- The Trump administration just made two big foreign policy moves. The one that drew most of the headlines was the designation of Cuba as a sponsor of terrorism. The other, though, is causing plenty of consternation on Capitol Hill and among humanitarian groups. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that...
The New Cabinet Arrived
by Plane. Then an Explosion
Dec 30, 2020 8:05 AM CST
The New Cabinet Arrived by Plane. Then an Explosion
At least 16 people are said to be dead after a blast in Aden, Yemen
- At least 16 people were killed Wednesday and another 60 wounded when a blast occurred at the airport in the southern Yemeni city of Aden. The explosion happened a short time after the country's newly formed Cabinet arrived by plane; no one on that plane was killed or injured,...
Trump: We Killed
Feb 7, 2020 12:43 AM CST
Trump: We Killed Al-Qaeda Honcho
- President Trump said Thursday that the US, at his direction, has conducted a counter-terrorism operation in Yemen that killed Qassim al-Rimi, an al-Qaeda leader who claimed responsibility for last year's deadly shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola , where a Saudi aviation trainee killed three American sailors. Al-Rimi is a...
Terror Group Claims Deadly
Florida Naval Base Shooting
Feb 2, 2020 4:10 PM CST
Terror Group Claims Deadly Florida Naval Base Shooting
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula releases video claiming the attack
- Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility Sunday for last year's deadly shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola by an aviation student from Saudi Arabia, the AP reports. The shooter, 2nd Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, was a member of the Saudi Air Force in training at the base....
Pompeo: It's Iran's Fault
Sep 14, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Pompeo: It's Iran's Fault
The Secretary of State points a finger after drone strike in Saudi Arabia
- Forget Yemen. This was all Iran. That was the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's take Saturday after drone attacks struck Saudi Arabian oil facilities and choked half the country's crude production, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Pompeo tweeted that it was "an unprecedented attack on the world'...
Major Oil Facility
Sep 14, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Drones Strike Major Oil Facility
Iranian-backed Houthis strike in Saudi Arabia
- Drones launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels attacked the world's largest oil processing facility in Saudi Arabia and another major oil field Saturday, sparking huge fires at a vulnerable chokepoint for global energy supplies, the AP reports. It remained unclear hours later whether anyone was injured at the Abqaiq...
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run
Prison Kill More Than 100
Sep 2, 2019 2:58 AM CDT
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run Prison Kill More Than 100
It was deadliest strike on Yemen so far this year
- Yemen is reeling from what has been described as the deadliest attack so far this year after multiple airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition hit a detention center run by the country's Houthi rebels, killing at least 100 people and wounding dozens. The center in southwestern Dhamar province had around...
US Official: A Missile
Downed Our Drone in Yemen
Aug 21, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
US Official: A Missile Downed Our Drone in Yemen
Houthis have claimed responsibility
- Two US officials confirmed to Reuters what a Houthi military rep has claimed: that a US drone was shot down over Yemen on Tuesday night. What is less established is whether the Iran-allied Houthi rebels downed the MQ-9 drone. That's what the rep claims; one official tells CNN a...
Saudi Oil Field Attacked
Aug 17, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Saudi Oil Field Attacked
Yemen's Houthi rebels cause a fire at the Shaybah oil field
- Drones launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels attacked a massive oil and gas field deep inside Saudi Arabia's sprawling desert on Saturday, causing what the kingdom described as a "limited fire" in the second such recent attack on its crucial energy industry, the AP reports. The attack on...
UN Assesses Toll on Children
From Fighting in Yemen
Jun 29, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
UN Assesses Toll on Children From Fighting in Yemen
Official calls the suffering 'simply appalling'
- More than 7,500 children have been killed or wounded in Yemen in the last 5½ years as a result of airstrikes, shelling, fighting, suicide attacks, mines and other unexploded ordnance, according to a UN report released Friday. The report by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the killings and injuries were...
Iran Allies Hit Saudis
Ahead of Pompeo Visit
Jun 23, 2019 4:35 PM CDT
Iran Allies Hit Saudis Ahead of Pompeo Visit
Yemeni rebels targeted the airport in Abha
- One person was killed and seven others were wounded in an attack by Iranian-allied Yemeni rebels on an airport in Saudi Arabia Sunday evening, the Saudi military said, as the US secretary of state was on his way to the country for talks on Iran. The Sunday attack by the...
Apr 16, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Trump Issues Another Veto
He won't stop funding Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen
- President Donald Trump on Tuesday vetoed a bill passed by Congress to end US military assistance in Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen, the AP reports. In a break with the president, Congress voted for the first time earlier this month to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.