Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected'
Move on Gay Marriage
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected' Move on Gay Marriage
Church will get behind legislation on same-sex marriage, as long as religious rights are protected
- Federal legislation designed to protect gay marriage rights has a somewhat surprising new supporter: the Mormon church. On Tuesday, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it will get behind the bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act , after senators worked out an amendment that would protect how religious groups...
Billionaire Leaves Mormon
Church Over LGBTQ+ Stance
in case you missed it
Dec 26, 2021 4:16 PM CST
Billionaire Leaves Mormon Church Over LGBTQ+ Stance
Jeff T. Green issues public rebuke
- In what is being referred to as an unusual move, a high-profile member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is leaving—and making it publicly known that he's doing so because of the church's stance on certain issues. "I believe the Mormon Church has...
USC Apologizes to BYU
Over Televised Chant
Nov 29, 2021 12:10 PM CST
USC Apologizes to BYU Over Televised Chant
'F--- the Mormons' rang out multiple times from the stands
- Anyone who tuned in to USC's home game against Brigham Young on ESPN over the weekend might have heard a not-so-friendly chant from the stands. On at least five occasions, the crowd broke into a chant of "F--- the Mormons" during the game, reports the
Mar 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Huntsman's Brother Sues Mormon Church for Fraud
James Huntsman wants $5M in donations returned
- The son of a billionaire industrialist and brother of a former Utah governor and US ambassador is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for fraud. James Huntsman, brother of Jon Huntsman , claims the Mormon church spent members' tithes on commercial purposes, rather than charity. This allegation was...
Wife Sues Church for Reporting
Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Jan 9, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Wife Sues Church for Reporting Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Oregon suit claims 'priest-penitent privilege' was violated in case of Timothy Johnson
- Various lawsuits have accused clergy members of seeing sex abuse as more of a sin than a crime. A new one, however, claims quite the opposite. An Oregon woman is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for $9.5 million, arguing church leaders violated "priest-penitent privilege"...
Is Hoarding $100B
Dec 17, 2019 7:40 AM CST
Whistleblower: Mormon Church Is Hoarding $100B
He says investment division should be stripped of tax-exempt status
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been hoarding cash that its members thought would be used for charitable purposes, according to a whistleblower who worked at the church's investment division. David Neilsen, a former senior portfolio manager at Ensign Peak Advisors, alleges in a complaint to...
Her Idyllic Life Existed
Only on the Mommy Blog
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 2:06 PM CST
Her Idyllic Life Existed Only on the Mommy Blog
'Elle' profiles Natalie Lovin, who had to reckon with the collapse of her marriage, world
- If you happened to be a casual reader of the Hey Natalie Jean blog several years ago, you might have envied the life of author Natalie Holbrook. She and her husband and baby boy were living what appeared to be an idyllic existence in New York City, with Holbrook a...
Teen in Mexico Attack Shares
Mom's Final 4 Words to Him
Nov 11, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Teen in Mexico Attack Shares Mom's Final 4 Words to Him
Devin Langford says the bullets that hit the car stopped it from working
- The last words Devin Langford's mother spoke to him before she was gunned down in Mexico were words of protection. "Get down right now," Dawna Langford instructed her 13-year-old son, he says in an interview with ABC News . Devin—whose brothers Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2, were...
Caravan of Mormon
Survivors Flees Mexico
Nov 10, 2019 6:13 AM CST
Caravan of Mormon Survivors Flees Mexico
More than 100 from communities rocked by massacre have crossed into Arizona
- An 18-vehicle caravan carrying about 100 members of an offshoot Mormon community leaving their homes in Mexico after a violent attack arrived in Arizona on Saturday. The families came nearly a week after the attack Monday in which nine women and children were killed by what authorities said were hit...
After Massacre in Mexico,
an Arrest, With 2 Hostages
Nov 6, 2019 9:05 AM CST
After Massacre in Mexico, an Arrest, With 2 Hostages
Armed suspect was found near Arizona border
- A suspect found holding two bound and gagged hostages has been arrested for alleged links to the massacre of nine women and children in northern Mexico. The suspect was found in the hills of Agua Prieta, the Mexican town across the border from Douglas, Ariz., with four assault rifles and...
Teen Who Survived
Cartel Attack Walked
14 Miles for Help
Nov 6, 2019 6:57 AM CST
Teen Who Survived Cartel Attack Walked 14 Miles for Help
Relative says cartels had targeted the Mormon community before
- The nine American women and children massacred after an ambush in Mexico were "burned alive," a relative says. Alex LeBaron says the victims, who were traveling between the states of Sonora and Chihuahua, were shot in vehicles while driving. "Women and children were massacred, burned alive,"...
Trump Responds to Killing
of American Mormons
Nov 5, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Trump Responds to Killing of American Mormons
It's time to eradicate drug cartels in Mexico, and the US will help, he says
- The murder of women and children in a Mormon family in Mexico has President Trump calling for the eradication of drug cartels—with US help. All the victims have dual US-Mexico citizenship, reports CNN . "This is the time for Mexico, with the help of the United States, to wage...
Not Happy Utah
Plans to Ban
Oct 16, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Mormon Church Not Happy Utah Plans to Ban Conversion Therapy
LDS church wants pending state regulation on minors amended
- A state regulation is pending in Utah that would prohibit psychologists from using gay conversion therapy on minors—and on Tuesday night, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement announcing its opposition to the ban. "We teach the right of individuals to self-determination and the...
Dad of Elizabeth Smart:
I'm Gay, Getting Divorced
Aug 16, 2019 9:12 AM CDT
Dad of Elizabeth Smart: I'm Gay, Getting Divorced
Ed Smart also says he's not finding 'solace' anymore in LDS church
- Ed Smart, father of kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart , posted a letter on Facebook Thursday that held some stunning revelations: He's gay, divorcing Elizabeth's mother, and "doesn't see a place for himself in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," per the
Apr 29, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
BYU Valedictorian Comes Out During Speech
'I'm proud to be a gay son of God,' he says
- There were cheers and whoops from the crowd at Brigham Young University's commencement ceremony Friday as political science valedictorian Matt Easton came out as gay during his speech. After congratulating his classmates at the Mormon university, Easton said: "I stand before my family, friends, and graduating class today...
Brigham Young Students
Protest Harsh Punishments
Apr 17, 2019 3:27 AM CDT
Brigham Young Students Protest Harsh Punishments
They want a more compassionate honor code
- "God forgives me, why can't you?" chanted hundreds of students at a rare protest at the Mormon-owned Brigham Young University on Friday. The protesters were calling for changes to the school's famously strict honor code system, which bans beards, piercings, drinking coffee, and premarital sex, among other...
LDS Church Makes
on LGBT Issues
Apr 4, 2019 2:47 PM CDT
LDS Church Makes 'Surprise' Change on LGBT Issues
Mormon children of LGBT parents can be blessed, baptized
- Children of LGBT parents may now be blessed as infants and then, later, baptized as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The church announced that and other changes Thursday to controversial church policies that were enacted in 2015, the
reports. Church leaders said at...
Mormon Missionaries Now
Get More Than 2 Calls a Year
Feb 17, 2019 6:39 AM CST
Mormon Missionaries Now Get More Than 2 Calls a Year
They had previously been allowed to phone home on Christmas and Mother's Day
- Parents of Mormon missionaries will be able to hear their children's voices a lot more often under new rules announced Friday that allow the proselytizing youngsters to call home every week instead of only twice a year. The move is aimed at encouraging families to be more involved in...
Church President: Calling Us
Mormon a 'Victory for Satan'
Oct 7, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Church President: Calling Us Mormon a 'Victory for Satan'
Russell M. Nelson is fighting a battle against the M word
- The president of the Mormon church wants members, the media and others to use the faith's full name , saying nicknames are "a major victory for Satan." Addressing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' twice-yearly conference Sunday in Salt Lake City, Russell M. Nelson says the...
David Cross Will Perform at
Utah School Despite Row
Aug 20, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
David Cross Will Perform at Utah School Despite Row
The comedian tweeted what appeared to be a joke about holy undergarments
- The University of Utah says a tweet from comedian David Cross showing him wearing undergarments sacred to the Mormon faith was "deeply offensive" but the college won't consider calls for the cancellation of his performance on campus Wednesday. College president Ruth Watkins criticized the tweet in a statement...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.