Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Notre Dame Cathedral
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Riches' Found Inches Below
Notre Dame's Floor Slabs
in case you missed it
Apr 17, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
'Riches' Found Inches Below Notre Dame's Floor Slabs
Sarcophagus, fragments of original rood screen are 'extraordinary'
- There's an upside to rebuilding after a fire , as archaeologists at France's Notre Dame cathedral have discovered. In preparation for the monument's new spire, to replace the one burned in 2019, workers will build 100-foot-high scaffolding. But before they do, officials asked archeologists to perform a "...
Notre Dame Is Going to
Need Some Very Old Trees
Feb 17, 2021 1:59 AM CST
Notre Dame Is Going to Need Some Very Old Trees
It's to be rebuilt exactly as it was after 2019 fire
- France is in need of some
old trees. Between 150 and 200 years old, to be exact. But it's for a good cause: The country is rebuilding the spire of the 850-year-old Notre Dame cathedral, destroyed in a fire in 2019, exactly as it was built when it...
In Paris, a 'Highly Symbolic'
Concert in Hard Hats
Dec 25, 2020 10:30 AM CST
In Paris, a 'Highly Symbolic' Concert in Hard Hats
Choir sings at Notre Dame Cathedral amid massive renovation
- Wearing hard hats and protective suits, members of the choir of Notre Dame Cathedral sang inside the medieval Paris landmark for the first time since last year’s devastating fire for a special Christmas Eve concert, per the AP . Accompanied by an acclaimed cellist and a rented organ, the singers...
France Goes Old-School
on Notre Dame Design
Jul 10, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
France Goes Old-School on Notre Dame Design
Roof, famous spire to be reconstructed to look the same as before massive fire
- Since a fire destroyed much of the roof of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral last April, architects have proposed new designs including a rooftop pool and a giant park. But if you're one for tradition, you'll be happy to know those options have been ruled out. French President Emmanuel...
Notre Dame Rector:
50% Chance It Can Be Saved
Dec 25, 2019 8:17 AM CST
Notre Dame Rector: 50% Chance It Can Be Saved
'The building is still very fragile,' in danger of scaffolding collapsing onto vaults
- The rector of Notre Dame Cathedral says the Paris landmark is still so fragile that there's a “50% chance” it might not be saved, because scaffolding installed before the April fire is threatening the Gothic monument's vaults. Monsignor Patrick Chauvet said restoration work isn't likely to...
for Notre Dame
Dec 23, 2019 10:45 AM CST
A Disappointing 200-Year First for Notre Dame
There will be no Christmas services this year
- The Nazis didn't keep Notre Dame Cathedral from celebrating Christmas Mass. Fire will. CNN reports the blaze that ravaged the Paris cathedral in April will prevent it from holding Christmas services, marking the first time that's happened in two centuries. Cathedral rector Patrick Chauvet tells the AP he...
Notre Dame Celebrates
a Small, Cautious
Jun 16, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Notre Dame Celebrates a Small, Cautious Milestone
Cathedral holds first Mass since devastating fire, this time with hard hats
- The archbishop wore a hard-hat helmet, burnt wood debris was still visible and only about 30 people were let inside, but Notre Dame Cathedral on Saturday held its first Mass since the devastating April 15th fire that ravaged its roof and toppled its masterpiece spire. Exactly two months after the...
Notre Dame Bees Are Survivors
Apr 19, 2019 5:09 PM CDT
Notre Dame Bees Are Survivors
Beekeeper rejoices at activity around the hives
- There was comfort to take in the horrific Notre Dame fire. No one was killed, and precious artworks survived. Now it turns out that thousands of small occupants did, as well: bees whose home is on the cathedral's roof. They've since been spotted buzzing in and out of...
to 'Computer Glitch'
in Notre Dame Fire
Apr 19, 2019 2:09 PM CDT
Suspicion Turns to 'Computer Glitch' in Notre Dame Fire
But full answer may be 2 to 3 months away
- Architects and construction workers have stabilized the structure of Notre Dame, four days after fire ravaged the iconic Paris cathedral, and firefighters will leave the site Friday night, a fire brigade spokesman said. "There is no more risk the edifice's walls could fall down," Lt. Col. Gabriel...
Backlash Begins Over
Notre Dame Donations
Apr 19, 2019 11:38 AM CDT
Backlash Begins Over Notre Dame Donations
Critics cite white privilege, and a billionaire donor responds
- The $1 billion raised to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral is now receiving a dose of controversy. The
is among several outlets reporting that criticism is mounting in regard to income inequality about the large donations that came from billionaires like Francois-Henri Pinault and Bernard Arnault. While most want...
Short-Circuit Probably Caused
Catastrophic Fire, Official Says
Apr 18, 2019 6:06 PM CDT
Short-Circuit Probably Caused Catastrophic Fire, Official Says
Macron, Paris honor firefighters
- Investigators say an electrical short-circuit was the most likely cause of the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, a Paris police official said Thursday, as France paid a daylong tribute to the firefighters who saved the world-renowned landmark Monday. A judicial police official told The Associated Press that investigators have made...
Plan to Save Notre Dame
Relics 'Worked Perfectly'
Apr 18, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Plan to Save Notre Dame Relics 'Worked Perfectly'
Paris to hold ceremony to honor firefighters
- Insurance adjuster Michael Honore has been tasked with assessing fire damage to Notre Dame's treasures—and his workload would be a lot bigger if the evacuation plan had failed. Honore, the director of fine art at Sedgwick, tells Reuters that around 90% of the cathedral's treasures were saved...
A Chance of a Lifetime
for Architects After
Notre Dame Fire
Apr 17, 2019 12:54 PM CDT
A Chance of a Lifetime for Architects After Notre Dame Fire
France seeks designs for new spire
- The world watched, horrified, as Notre Dame’s spire toppled in the flames Monday. Two days later, French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe is already envisioning a new one, "adapted to the techniques and the challenges of our era," per the BBC . All that remains of the spire erected...
Notre Dame Was Saved in
Vital 15- to 30-Minute Window
Apr 17, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Notre Dame Was Saved in Vital 15- to 30-Minute Window
France praises 'courage, determination' of firefighters
- Notre Dame cathedral came within minutes of destruction but it is still standing today thanks to the heroic efforts of firefighters, authorities say. Laurent Nunez, France's deputy interior minister, said Tuesday that firefighters risked their lives to save the 850-year-old cathedral during a crucial 15- to 30-minute window of...
Guess Which Novel Is
Suddenly No. 1 in France
Apr 16, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
Guess Which Novel Is Suddenly No. 1 in France
'Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo climbs the Amazon charts there
- The fire at Notre Dame cathedral has led to a surge in popularity of Victor Hugo's 1831 novel centered there.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
, known as as
Notre-Dame de Paris
in French, now sits atop the Amazon best-seller list in France, reports HuffPost . In fact, two different editions...
Macron Promises to Rebuild
Notre Dame Within 5 Years
Apr 16, 2019 3:46 PM CDT
Macron Promises to Rebuild Notre Dame Within 5 Years
President challenges France to make cathedral even more beautiful
- France will rebuild Notre Dame "even more beautifully," President Emmanuel Macron told the nation Tuesday in a televised address. "And I want it to be completed in five years." One day after fire ravaged the cathedral, Reuters reports that Macron laid out the challenge ahead: "...
YouTube Suffers Big Fail
on Notre Dame Fire
Apr 16, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
YouTube Suffers Big Fail on Notre Dame Fire
Fact-checking tool links it to 9/11 attacks
- A new YouTube tool designed to curb crazy conspiracy theories may have inadvertently done the exact opposite on Monday. The site mistakenly linked the Notre Dame fire to the 9/11 attacks, reports BuzzFeed . The problem went like so: Various news outlets began putting live video feeds of the fire onto...
What Notre Dame
Looks Like Today
Apr 16, 2019 10:17 AM CDT
What Notre Dame Looks Like Today
Paris assesses the damage now that the cathedral fire is finally out
- The devastating fire at Paris' iconic Notre Dame cathedral has been extinguished , and billionaires are pledging to help rebuild , but the public is only beginning to get a look at the extent of the damage to the 12th-century building. This file has photos moving Tuesday from the AP of the...
Notre Dame Blaze
Now Fully Extinguished
Apr 16, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
Notre Dame Blaze Now Fully Extinguished
Famous organ, Crown of Thorns were saved
- Paris firefighters declared the fire at Notre Dame fully extinguished early Tuesday as France mourned the partial destruction of one of the country's most treasured landmarks. Authorities say the principal structure and the two bell towers have been saved, but the building is still unstable, the AP reports. The...
2 Billionaires Pledge $339M
to Rebuild Notre Dame
Apr 16, 2019 6:39 AM CDT
2 Billionaires Pledge $339M to Rebuild Notre Dame
'We will rebuild this cathedral,' Macron vows
- "We will rebuild this cathedral," France's President Emmanuel Macron vowed Monday night after a fire devastated Notre Dame —and Salma Hayek's billionaire husband was one of the first to offer assistance. Francois-Henri Pinault, chairman and CEO of the Kering group, pledged 100 million euros—$113...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.