Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
17-Year-Old Arrested in
Baltimore Mass Shooting
Jul 7, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
17-Year-Old Arrested in Baltimore Mass Shooting
Police don't say what they think his involvement was
- A 17-year-old has been arrested and charged in connection with the mass shooting over the weekend in Baltimore, police announced Friday. He faces charges including possession of a firearm by a minor, assault weapon possession, reckless endangerment, and having a handgun in a vehicle, WBAL reports. Detectives said they believe...
24 of the 30 Victims in
Baltimore Shooting Were Teens
Jul 3, 2023 6:52 AM CDT
24 of the 30 Victims in Baltimore Shooting Were Teens
With 15 of those being juveniles
- Half of the victims in Sunday's mass shooting at a Baltimore block party were juveniles, and more than three-quarters of them—24 in total, including one of the two people killed—were teenagers. Aaliyah Gonzales, 18, and Kylis Fagbemi, 20, were killed in what was likely the city's...
This Is the Most
Apr 23, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
This Is the Most Sustainable City in America
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list
- Saturday is Earth Day, so LawnStarter compared the 200 biggest cities in America to find the most (and least) sustainable ones. The site looked at more than two dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including incentives and policies that center on energy efficiency and renewables;
Segregation 'Spite Wall'
in Baltimore Torn Down
Apr 12, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Segregation 'Spite Wall' in Baltimore Torn Down
It was in place near historically Black university for more than 80 years
- A so-called "spite wall" built to hold back the Black students of Baltimore's Morgan State University has finally been torn down after standing for 81 years—more than twice as long as the Berlin Wall. University president David Wilson watched a portion come down on Tuesday, WBAL reports....
State Report on Church Abuse
Finds 'Astonishing' Scope
Apr 5, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
State Report on Church Abuse Finds 'Astonishing' Scope
Maryland says Baltimore Archdiocese often did little to stop the torture and abuse
- Maryland's attorney general released the results Wednesday of a four-year state investigation into the sexual abuse and torture of children by clergy members and employees of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. The report covers the totality of 80 years of mistreatment, during which it says 156 members of Catholic clergy...
Horrific Work-Zone Crash
Kills 6 Construction Workers
Mar 23, 2023 3:48 AM CDT
Horrific Work-Zone Crash Kills 6 Construction Workers
Vehicle flipped, hit workers on Baltimore Beltway
- Six people were killed when a passenger vehicle hit a work zone along the Baltimore beltway and struck construction workers, Maryland State Police said Wednesday. Troopers responded to the work zone on northbound Interstate 695 at Security Boulevard in the Woodlawn area around 12:40pm for a report of a...
Another Maryland Cop Shot
as Manhunt Continues
Feb 10, 2023 12:15 AM CST
Another Maryland Cop Shot as Manhunt Continues
It's not clear if the 2 shootings are linked
- A police officer in Maryland was seriously injured in gunfire Thursday night amid a manhunt for a suspect who had wounded a different officer after firing at police the previous afternoon, officials said. Police have not specified whether the second shooting was linked to the first, which occurred while police...
Brother Finds Body Baltimore
Firefighters Missed in Building
Dec 7, 2022 3:00 AM CST
Brother Finds Body Baltimore Firefighters Missed in Building
Family wants to know why firefighters didn't ascend the stairs
- Several hours after firefighters extinguished a warehouse fire in southwest Baltimore early Sunday, the scene was eerily quiet as Donte Craig stepped through the charred rubble, trying to remain hopeful. He was looking for his older brother James Craig Jr., who leased the warehouse for his demolition and hauling business....
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed'
Family Files an Appeal
Sep 30, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed' Family Files an Appeal
Her brother says hearing that set subject of 'Serial' podcast free wasn't conducted properly
- Adnan Syed, convicted and imprisoned for more than two decades after his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, was murdered in 1999, "couldn't believe" his conviction was overturned earlier this month. Neither could Lee's brother, Young Lee, and he's now appealing the decision of Baltimore Circuit Court Judge...
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
Dead at 26
Jun 22, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Baltimore Ravens' Jaylon Ferguson Dead at 26
He leaves behind 3 children under the age of 5
- Another NFLer is gone too early . Baltimore Ravens linebacker Jaylon Ferguson has died at the age of 26, the team announced Wednesday. "He was a kind, respectful young man with a big smile and infectious personality. We express our heartfelt condolences to Jaylon's family and friends as we...
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer
of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
Jun 2, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
City alleges Polymer80 'profit[s] from destroying our communities'
- The city of Baltimore has joined Los Angeles and Washington, DC, in suing one of the nation's largest manufacturers of untraceable ghost guns , labeling the weapons without serial numbers a "devastating menace" to residents and Americans at large. Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott announced the lawsuit against Polymer80, Inc....
Bus Rolls Over,
May 22, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Bus Rolls Over, Injuring 27
15 are taken to hospitals after accident north of Baltimore
- Twenty-seven people suffered minor injuries Sunday after a bus crashed and rolled on I-95 north of Baltimore, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department. The crash occurred near Kingsville, Maryland, shortly before 7am, fire officials said in a statement. The vehicle was operated by megabus and was carrying 47 people....
Baltimore FD Suffers
a Devastating Day
Jan 25, 2022 5:31 AM CST
Baltimore FD Suffers a Devastating Day
3 firefighters killed when vacant home on fire collapsed
- Three Baltimore firefighters were killed and a fourth was injured when part of a vacant home collapsed while they were battling a blaze early Monday, the city's fire chief said. The Baltimore City Fire Department said in a tweet that firefighters were responding to a blaze at the three-story...
Dies After Ambush
in Her Patrol Car
Dec 29, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Baltimore Officer Dies After Ambush in Her Patrol Car
Keona Holley's family made difficult decision to remove her from life support
The Baltimore police officer ambushed in her patrol car Dec. 16 died last week, with her family making the difficult decision to remove life support a week after she was shot, ABC 17 reports. "Baltimore will never forget Officer Holley’s sacrifice and commitment to making a difference...
He Blamed Panhandler for
Killing Wife, but Lie Fell Apart
Dec 9, 2021 12:26 PM CST
He Blamed Panhandler for Killing Wife, but Lie Fell Apart
Keith Smith convicted of murder in Baltimore; daughter helped him concoct fake story
A Maryland man has been convicted of murdering his wife before trying to pin it on a panhandler. Keith Smith, 55, was found guilty Thursday of stabbing Jacquelyn Smith in 2018, reports the
. Smith told police a panhandler killed his wife while trying to steal her purse,...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.