Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Thankful' Snowden Takes
Oath for Russian Citizenship
Dec 3, 2022 6:30 AM CST
'Thankful' Snowden Takes Oath for Russian Citizenship
NSA whistleblower now has his Russian passport
- Edward Snowden was granted Russian citizenship in September, but it looks like now it's really official. Snowden's lawyer says the 39-year-old former National Security Agency contractor has sworn an oath of allegiance to his adopted nation and received a Russian passport, reports the
. "He took the...
Reported Secret CIA Program
Sees Pushback: 'It Is Not OK'
Feb 12, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Reported Secret CIA Program Sees Pushback: 'It Is Not OK'
Edward Snowden, civil rights advocates slam initiative that reportedly scooped up Americans' info
- Facebook isn't the only entity you might need to worry about when it comes to your personal data. According to two lawmakers on the Senate Intelligence Committee, the CIA has been secretly scooping up info en masse on Americans, and civil liberties activists aren't happy about it. News...
Snowden NFT Sells for $5.5M
Apr 17, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Snowden NFT Sells for $5.5M
Money will go to press foundation the whistleblower leads
- Edward Snowden has broken into the NFT market with a big sale.
, a digital portrait of the whistleblower, brought about $5.5 million, or 2,224 Ethereum, in a one-day auction, Mashable reports. The portrait is based on a photo by Platon, using pages from the court ruling...
Is Now a Father
Dec 26, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Whistleblower Snowden Is Now a Father
Snowden's wife shared a pic on her social media
- Edward Snowden has become a father. The whistleblower's wife, Lindsay Mills, shared a photo of herself with Snowden and their newborn son on Twitter . "Merry Christmas baby," she wrote along with the photo, which covered the child's face with an emoji. Snowden continues to live in...
Rand Paul Suggests
Controversial Pardon Idea
Dec 18, 2020 2:15 PM CST
Rand Paul Suggests Controversial Pardon Idea
Senator wants Trump to let Edward Snowden go free
- As President Trump considers presidential pardons before his term expires, Sen. Rand Paul is suggesting a controversial one in the pages of the
. The Kentucky senator says the president should pardon Edward Snowden , who is now living in exile in Russia. In Paul's view, the former National Security...
Snowden, About to Be a Dad,
Makes a Big Move
Nov 2, 2020 7:52 AM CST
Snowden, About to Be a Dad, Makes a Big Move
Whistleblower applies for Russian citizenship
- Edward Snowden is due to become a father before the end of the year, a development that just prompted a big announcement from the exiled whistleblower. He's applying for Russian citizenship, reports Reuters . "After years of separation from our parents, my wife and I have no desire to...
Oct 22, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Snowden Gets Good News From Russia
Former NSA contractor is given permanent residency rights there
- Edward Snowden is free to stay in Russia as long as he likes. The US whistleblower has been granted permanent residency rights in the country, his Russian lawyer announced Thursday. The former NSA contractor, who was granted asylum in Russia after leaking secret files in the US in 2013, sought...
Snowden Could Be
in Line for a Pardon
Aug 16, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Snowden Could Be in Line for a Pardon
Trump has recommended execution before but now says his staff's advice is divided
- He hears conflicting advice about whether to pardon Edward Snowden, President Trump says, saying that it "seems to be a split decision." Conceding that he's "not that aware of the Snowden situation," Trump said, "Many people think he should be somehow treated differently, and...
CIA/NSA Bickering Nearly
Sank the Deal of the Century
Mar 7, 2020 4:00 PM CST
CIA/NSA Bickering Nearly Sank the Deal of the Century
But the CIA and West German intelligence eventually bought the Swiss firm Crypto AG
- Friction between the CIA and NSA has come up before—think 9/11 intelligence failures—but it turns out their bickering nearly sank a deal that later revolutionized intelligence gathering, the
reports. "There was not a lot of love lost between CIA and NSA over the years,"...
I Looked for
of Aliens, Found None
Oct 23, 2019 2:08 PM CDT
Snowden: I Looked for Government Proof of Aliens, Found None
NSA leaker talks to Joe Rogan
- Extraterrestrial enthusiasts may be disappointed to hear Edward Snowden's official take on the matter: The infamous NSA leaker doesn't think the government is hiding evidence of extraterrestrial life. While he was a contractor at the National Security Agency, "I had ridiculous access to the networks of the...
France Dismisses Snowden's
Latest Asylum Request
Sep 19, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
France Dismisses Snowden's Latest Asylum Request
It's 'not the time,' foreign minister says
- France's foreign minister says "it's not the time" to grant a new asylum request from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, the AP reports. Snowden has been living in Russia to escape US prosecution after leaking classified documents detailing government surveillance programs. Asking France again for...
DoJ: Give Us the Proceeds
From Snowden's New Book
Sep 17, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
DoJ: Give Us the Proceeds From Snowden's New Book
Justice Dept. sues, alleges Snowden violated non-disclosure agreements
- Edward Snowden's memoir was released Tuesday , and the Justice Department wasted no time in suing the former CIA employee and NSA contractor who famously leaked top-secret documents regarding government surveillance programs. The DoJ filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking the proceeds from the book, alleging Snowden, by publishing it...
Edward Snowden Wants
France to Grant Him Asylum
Sep 16, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Edward Snowden Wants France to Grant Him Asylum
Exile says he married American girlfriend 2 years ago
- After six years of exile in Russia, Edward Snowden is apparently ready for a change of scenery. In an interview aired Monday, the National Security Agency whistleblower said he applied for political asylum in 2013, after he leaked documents showing the extent of the NSA's domestic surveillance, and he...
GOP Aide Reveals NSA
Phone Program Not Being Used
Mar 5, 2019 10:20 AM CST
GOP Aide Reveals NSA Phone Program Not Being Used
Luke Murry suggests the White House may not renew the controversial program
- Nearly six years ago, Edward Snowden exposed the National Security Agency's covert collection of millions of Americans' phone and text records; the White House defended it as a critical tool in the fight against terrorism. Now, a new White House may be done with the program. The
You Can Tell Whether the
CIA Has Hacked Your TV
Mar 8, 2017 6:20 AM CST
You Can Tell Whether the CIA Has Hacked Your TV
Experts say WikiLeaks files 'sinister,' but not surprising
- It's being called the CIA's "Snowden moment" —and it reveals secrets that paranoid time-travelers from the 1950s would find completely unsurprising, including suggestions that the agency has been spying on people through their TVs. The CIA is scrambling to deal with the fallout from WikiLeaks' release...
Source: Russia May
'Gift' Snowden to Trump
Feb 11, 2017 9:29 AM CST
Source: Russia May 'Gift' Snowden to Trump
This proves I'm no spy, Snowden says
- Russia is considering handing over Edward Snowden as a "gift" to "curry favor" with President Trump, an intelligence source tells NBC . The source claims the handover was discussed in intercepted Russian conversations. Trump has repeatedly described the NSA leaker as a "traitor" who deserves harsh punishment, tweeting...
Snowden One Step
Closer to Russian
Jan 18, 2017 7:10 AM CST
Snowden One Step Closer to Russian Citizenship
NSA whistleblower just got 3-year extension on residency permit
- Comrade Edward Snowden? Per Reuters , the NSA whistleblower just inched closer to that possibility with a three-year extension of his residency permit in Russia, meaning he may be eligible to apply for Russian citizenship next year, the RIA Novosti news agency quoted his Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, as saying Wednesday....
Top-Secret Doc May Explain
Why Russia Blamed for Hack
Dec 29, 2016 5:35 PM CST
Top-Secret Doc May Explain Why Russia Blamed for Hack
It all starts with the 2006 murder of a Russian journalist
- Thanks to a top-secret document on a murdered journalist leaked by Edward Snowden, we may know why US intelligence agencies are so certain Russia was behind the recent hacks of the DNC and others during the election. This is important, the Intercept reports, because the information about the cyberattack so...
As Snowden Slams Petraeus,
Petraeus Makes SecState Play
Dec 4, 2016 3:48 PM CST
As Snowden Slams Petraeus, Petraeus Makes SecState Play
'Five years ago, I made a serious mistake'
- Edward Snowden leaked classified information and is a fugitive as a result; David Petraeus disclosed classified information to a romantic interest—and he got probation, a fine, and is now in the running to be Secretary of State under Donald Trump. Petraeus "shared information that was far more highly...
Nov 30, 2016 6:40 PM CST
Intelligence Experts Ask Obama to Show 'Leniency' to Snowden
They say he acted selflessly and for the betterment of America
- “Snowden did not try to mask his identity, or lie to the FBI. He knew he would pay a personal price. As he has,” 15 former staff members of the Church Committee write in an 8-page letter to President Obama. The Church Committee investigated illegal activity by intelligence...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.