Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Daredevil Who Did the
Unthinkable at Everest Is Dead
Nov 13, 2017 8:37 AM CST
Daredevil Who Did the Unthinkable at Everest Is Dead
Valery Rozov was 52
- Leaping from a 22,349-foot-high mountain proved to be as dangerous as it sounds for Valery Rozov: The Russian base jumper died Saturday in an accident on Himalayan peak Ama Dablam. The AFP reports Rozov's death came while he was undertaking a "seven summits" quest that involved base...
Dies in BASE Jump
Jun 27, 2016 11:13 AM CDT
Mountain Rescuer Dies in BASE Jump
Michael Leming's parachute didn't open
- Michael Leming lived his life on the edge. A legend in Portland's mountain-climbing community, Leming was BASE jumping in Norway on Sunday when his parachute failed to open, reports KGW . The circumstances surrounding his death aren't clear, but a text posted to Facebook —apparently sent from a...
Guy in Wingsuit
Hits Cliff Wall, Dies
Jan 14, 2016 12:23 PM CST
Guy in Wingsuit Hits Cliff Wall, Dies
BASE jumper died in Arizona
- A BASE jumper was killed Tuesday while "flying" in a wingsuit near Page, Ariz., the
reports. Matthew Kenney, a 29-year-old from Santa Cruz, Calif., was an experienced jumper and was with friends in the remote Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness area near the Utah border. Kenney hit a...
Yosemite Jumpers' Deaths
Forever a Mystery
Aug 4, 2015 7:52 AM CDT
Yosemite Jumpers' Deaths Forever a Mystery
Investigation into deaths of Dean Potter, Graham Hunt comes to no firm conclusion
- World-famous wingsuit flier Dean Potter had strapped his iPhone to the back of his head and hit record before he and partner Graham Hunt jumped from a cliff in Yosemite National Park in what was to be an exhilarating flight through a V-shaped rocky formation—a route that left little...
May 20, 2015 12:13 PM CDT
BASE Jumper's Fiery Stunt Ends Fatally
James Hickey set fire to parachute, engulfed in flames
- It's not exactly an auspicious time to be a BASE jumper : A 73-year-old man plunged to his death earlier this month after jumping from Idaho's Perrine Bridge, and the Twin Falls
now reports that James Hickey had set his own parachute on fire as part of a...
in Yosemite Stunt
May 18, 2015 6:27 AM CDT
Daredevils Die in Yosemite Stunt
Dean Potter was among best-known extreme athletes
- Extreme athlete Dean Potter, renowned for his daring and sometimes rogue climbs and BASE jumps, was one of two men killed while attempting a wingsuit flight in Yosemite National Park, a park spokesman says. Someone called for help late Saturday after losing contact with Potter, 43, and his climbing partner,...
Jan 16, 2015 3:30 PM CST
BASE Jumper Killed When Chute Fails to Open
Michigan's Josh Sheppard jumped from TV tower
- A 31-year-old Michigan man was killed this week when he jumped from a 1,000-foot TV tower and his parachute failed to open, reports
. BASE jumper Josh Sheppard made the leap from the tower of WLAJ-TV in Rives Township Wednesday evening. He hadn't sought permission and had...
Base Jump Kills
Extreme Sports Legend
Mar 31, 2014 8:50 AM CDT
Base Jump Kills Extreme Sports Legend
Climbing world mourns Sean 'Stanley' Leary
- One of the more celebrated careers in extreme sports has come to a tragic end in Utah's Zion National Park. Sean "Stanley" Leary of California, a base jumper, climber, and stuntman, has been confirmed as one of two jumpers who died in the park earlier this month , reports...
3 Base Jumpers Have
Now Died in Utah
Mar 25, 2014 6:34 AM CDT
3 Base Jumpers Have Now Died in Utah
2 last weekend along
- This weekend saw two separate base jumping deaths in Utah, one in the state's Mineral Canyon and the other in Zion National Park. The latter comes weeks after the park, where the practice is illegal, saw its first-ever base jumping death, the
reports. Yesterday, authorities announced they'...
to Her Death in Utah
Feb 10, 2014 11:00 AM CST
Newlywed Base-Jumps to Her Death in Utah
As her husband of 2 weeks looked on
- A Utah woman attempting a parachute jump near Zion National Park died when her parachute failed to open, say park officials. Amber Bellows fell about 2,000 feet to the ground Saturday afternoon. The 28-year-old had been attempting the jump from Mount Kinesava, in the southern part of the park...
Aug 21, 2013 11:19 AM CDT
Renowned Base Jumper Dies After Hitting Cliff
Mario Richard, 47, killed in Italy
- A week after a famed stuntman died jumping from a helicopter in a wingsuit, another daredevil has been killed attempting a similar feat. Mario Richard, a leading American base jumper, died while wingsuit flying in the Dolomites in Italy on Monday. He was 47. The
New York Times
How a Mythic
Base Jumper Met
His Untimely End
Jul 27, 2013 3:16 PM CDT
How a Mythic Base Jumper Met His Untimely End
Ed Caesar shares the story of Hervé le Gallou and his mysterious death
- Thanks in part to the rise of wingsuits, base jumping has transformed into a popular and professionalized sport, and with that the hallmarks of veteran jumpers—"modesty, caution, patience"—are slowly being erased as a "generation of wingsuit pilots, stimulated by speed and YouTube hits," elbows...
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.