Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Administration Awards $2.8B
to Boost EV Battery Supply
Oct 19, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Administration Awards $2.8B to Boost EV Battery Supply
20 companies in at least 12 states receive grants
- The Biden administration on Wednesday awarded $2.8 billion in grants to boost domestic manufacturing of batteries for electric vehicles in 12 states. A total of 20 companies will receive grants for projects to extract and process lithium, graphite, and other battery materials, manufacture components, and strengthen US supply of...
'Makes Aviation History'
Sep 27, 2022 2:24 PM CDT
All-Electric Plane 'Makes Aviation History'
Prototype 'flew and handled wonderfully,' test pilot says
- A prototype, all-electric airplane took its first flight Tuesday morning in central Washington state. If the Federal Aviation Administration eventually certifies the small airplane to carry passengers, it could become the first all-electric commercial airplane, the
reports. The plane, built by startup Eviation, was built to carry nine...
Sep 9, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Tesla Considers Refining Lithium
Price of battery component has shot up, but supply hasn't
- Supply chain realities involving batteries have driven Tesla to consider building its own lithium hydroxide refining plant. The maker of electric vehicles has filed a notice with Texas saying that it's considering locations in Texas and Louisiana that have access to the Gulf Coast shipping channel. The company said...
Huge Step Toward
'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
Aug 26, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
California Takes Huge Step Toward 'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
State plans to ban sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035
- California has followed up its move to phase out gas-powered mowers with an even more ambitious goal—phasing out gas-powered cars. The California Air Resources Board voted Thursday in favor of banning the sale of new gas-powered cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs by 2035, the AP reports. After that date,...
Those Tax Incentives to Buy
Electric? There's a Problem
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 13, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Under stricter language in Senate climate bill, not a single car on the market today would qualify
- The legislation passed by the Senate over the weekend represents the biggest federal investment in clean energy in history, reports NPR . If adopted by the House later this week, it should bring the US "within shouting distance" of President Biden's plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions in half...
Ford Jacks the Price
on F-150 Lightning
Aug 9, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Ford Jacks the Price on F-150 Lightning
Company will honor MSRP on existing orders, but new customers will pay a lot more
- Ford CEO Jim Farley already staked his company’s future on the success of the all-electric F-150 Lightning. Per CNBC, the vehicle generated so much excitement that Ford was forced to cap preorders at 200,000 in January, five months before the first Lightning rolled off an assembly line. So...
Does Your Tesla
for No Reason?
You're Not Alone
Jun 3, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
Does Your Tesla Suddenly Brake for No Reason? You're Not Alone
NHTSA: More than 750 Tesla owners have reported 'phantom braking' phenomenon
- More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to US safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker's partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was...
Spawned From 'Rebellious
DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Jun 2, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Spawned From 'Rebellious DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Nearly 40 years after original DeLorean appeared in 'Back to the Future,' the Alpha5 electric version
- There's no Marty McFly behind the wheel, but the DeLorean is back—this time in electric form. Images and specs have been released for the Alpha5 , a concept electric vehicle that features the same signature gull-winged doors as seen in 1985's
Back to the Future
, though with "...
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
States Sue Postal Service
Over Its Truck Plan
Apr 28, 2022 2:16 PM CDT
States Sue Postal Service Over Its Truck Plan
Agency is buying vehicles that get just 8.6mpg
- The Postal Service disappointed a lot of people when it announced in February that only 10% of the roughly 150,000 delivery trucks it will buy in the next decade will be electric . Now, some of them are suing to block the purchases of gasoline vehicles, including 16 states, DC,...
Ford's CEO Stakes Company
Future on F-150 Lightning
Apr 24, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Ford's CEO Stakes Company Future on F-150 Lightning
The whole industry is transforming itself, but Tesla still dominates
- The all-electric F-150 “Lightning” weighs 3 tons and does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. If you’re Ford CEO Jim Farley, you know that because you have access to a test track, where you can catch air and hit 99mph in the home stretch just for fun. Like...
First Maserati EV
to Have Major Power
Mar 17, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
First Maserati EV to Have Major Power
Automaker plans electric versions of every model by 2025
- Maserati on Thursday announced its plan for switching to electric vehicles, with a goal of being out of the internal-combustion engine business by around 2030. The Italian automaker plans to offer an electric version of every model by 2025, CNBC reports, a product lineup labeled Folgore. That timetable is on...
Inside America's Race for
a Better Electric Car Battery
Mar 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Inside America's Race for a Better Electric Car Battery
Auto giants hope small start-ups can propel America in the race for a better battery
- Big problems in the supply chain for electric-car batteries came to light last March, when Elon Musk partnered directly with a New Caledonian nickel mine amid rumors that China was planning export limits,
reported at the time. China retains a "near-monopoly position" on the world’s production and...
Ford Is Breaking Up
Mar 2, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Ford Is Breaking Up
CEO says restructuring will help company beat the competition in electric vehicles
- Ford will split its electric vehicle and internal combustion operations into two distinct but strategically interdependent businesses as part of a major restructuring to accelerate its adaptation of new technology, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday, adding its transformation into an EV company is accelerating. Ford Model e—to be led...
USPS Says It Can't Afford
to Make New Fleet Electric
Feb 9, 2022 4:45 PM CST
USPS Says It Can't Afford to Make New Fleet Electric
EPA calls plan to make 90% of new vehicles gas-powered a 'crucial lost opportunity'
- The United States Postal Service is replacing its delivery fleet for the first time in 30 years—and critics including the Environmental Protection Agency aren't happy about plans to make most of the new vehicles gas-guzzlers. Under current plans, only 10% of the fleet's 165,000 new delivery...
Tesla Finds Way
Around China for
Jan 16, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Tesla Finds Way Around China for Battery Ingredient
Automaker finds a source of graphite in Mozambique
- Tesla is turning to Mozambique for a key component in its electric car batteries in what analysts believe is a first-of-its-kind deal designed to reduce its dependence on China for graphite. Elon Musk's company signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the...
Tesla Is Courting Kids
With an Electric ATV
Dec 2, 2021 1:56 PM CST
Tesla Is Courting Kids With an Electric ATV
$1.9K miniature Cyberquad modeled after Cybertruck released ahead of adult version
- Tesla previewed an electric ATV, the Cyberquad, with the presentation of its Cybertruck two years ago. What the company was keeping hushed up was its plans to first release a miniature $1,900 version for kids, which has arrived just in time for the holiday shopping season. The Cyberquad for...
Tesla Users Find
Out What Happens
When App Doesn't Work
Nov 22, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Tesla Users Find Out What Happens When App Doesn't Work
Drivers worldwide were stranded when apparent outage made them unable to unlock, start their cars
- There's something to be said for a physical key to unlock and start your car. Tesla drivers around the globe found that out last week when the app they use to perform such functions was apparently affected by an outage, leaving them stranded. The BBC reports that just after...
Year' Just Got Worse
Nov 19, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Tesla's 'Tumultuous Year' Just Got Worse
Automaker ranked almost last for reliability in new Consumer Reports ranking
- Lexus will be pleased with the latest Consumer Reports new-car reliability rankings , but one big name won't be. After surveying owners of more than 300,000 vehicles that were 2020 or 2021 models, the consumer group placed Tesla second to last (ahead of only the Lincoln brand owned by...
Rivian Customers Cash In
on Pre-Order Stock Offer
Nov 11, 2021 5:10 PM CST
Rivian Customers Cash In on Pre-Order Stock Offer
EV buyers were eligible to buy IPO shares that then jumped
- When Rivian set up its initial public offering, the electric vehicle company set aside 7% of its IPO allocation for its directed share program. Eligible participants included anyone pre-ordering a vehicle, CNBC reports. So when Rajiv Patel put down $1,000 for an SUV, he maxed out on the stock...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.