Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York City
Stories 1 - 20 |
At This Eatery, a Grubhub
Order Stopped Workers Cold
in case you missed it
Jun 26, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
At This Eatery, a Grubhub Order Stopped Workers Cold
Cops say hostage was rescued after writing on her order: 'Please call the police'
- Usually in the "additional instructions" field on Grubhub orders, customers specify food allergies or ask for extra condiments. Cops say for one New York City-area woman, that section on the app became a place to plead for help, and helped lead to her rescue. ABC7 reports that an order...
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,'
Closes 3 of Its Offices
Jun 24, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,' Closes 3 of Its Offices
Company makes bigger push toward remote work by closing NYC, Chicago, DC campuses
- Many employers are still resistant to telecommuting, even after two years of a pandemic during which distance work became more the rule than the exception. Yelp isn't one of them. The AP reports that the crowd-sourced reviews site will be closing its Chicago, New York City, and DC offices...
Driver in Times Square
Carnage Was Mentally Ill: Jury
Jun 22, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
Driver in Times Square Carnage Was Mentally Ill: Jury
Decision sets up Richard Rojas for involuntary commitment
- A New York jury agreed with the defense on Wednesday that a man who drove through a Times Square crowd in 2017, hitting more than 20 people, was not responsible for his actions. After deliberating for about six hours, the jury cleared Richard Rojas—who was charged with murder, assault,...
Foodies Go Crazy
for Caviar 'Bumps'
Jun 11, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Foodies Go Crazy for Caviar 'Bumps'
It's the traditional way to sample roe, but with an illicit-sounding name
- You don't need some fancy cheese board or crudite to enjoy a spoonful of caviar, also known as roe from sturgeon fish. As Alyson Krueger writes at the
New York Times
, "caviar bumps"—in which a spoonful of caviar is licked off of one's fist between...
Punches Were Thrown
on the Ice—and Then Off
Jun 10, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Punches Were Thrown on the Ice—and Then Off
New York Rangers fan facing assault charges after sucker punch caught on video
- Thursday's hockey game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers ended with punches on and off the ice. Shortly after players traded blows to mark the end of the Lightning's 3-1 victory over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, which put the Lightning up 3-2 in...
DA: Customer With Duck-Sauce
Grudge Killed Deliveryman
Jun 3, 2022 9:21 AM CDT
DA: Customer With Duck-Sauce Grudge Killed Deliveryman
'He hates Asian people,' Chinese restaurant manager says of suspect Glenn Hirsch
- A customer of a Chinese restaurant in New York City who argued with the manager over extra packets of duck sauce ultimately responded by murdering the restaurant’s longtime deliveryman, authorities say. Glenn Hirsch, 51, was arrested Wednesday and is accused of following and fatally shooting 45-year-old Zhiwen Yan, "...
'Brazen Crime of Disrespect
and Hate' at Brooklyn Church
May 30, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
'Brazen Crime of Disrespect and Hate' at Brooklyn Church
Thieves made off with $2M relic, beheaded angel statues
- Police say someone busted into the altar at a New York City church, stole a $2 million gold relic, and removed the head from a statue of an angel at some point late last week. The incident happened between 6:30pm Thursday and 4pm Saturday at St. Augustine’s Roman...
Noise Like Gunfire Causes
Panic at NYC Arena
May 29, 2022 10:39 AM CDT
Noise Like Gunfire Causes Panic at NYC Arena
As it turns out, no shots were fired at Barclays Center, but a stampede to safety ensued
- An example of a nation with frayed nerves: Ten people ended up in the hospital with minor injuries Saturday night over a false alarm about a shooting in the Barclays Center in New York City, reports CNN . After a boxing match between Devonte Davis and Rolando Romero, some kind of...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Bid Fond Farewell
May 25, 2022 11:18 AM CDT
New Yorkers Bid Fond Farewell to Once-Iconic Street Staple
City's last public pay phone is yanked from its perch on corner of 49th Street, 7th Avenue
- You can save those quarters for laundry—New York City's last freestanding public pay phone is no more. The Big Apple's "planned long goodbye" for these technological relics came to a close Monday, as the last unit was yanked from the ground at the corner of 49th...
Suspect in NYC Subway
Killing Gives Himself Up
May 24, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Suspect in NYC Subway Killing Gives Himself Up
Andrew Abdullah, 25, surrendered on Tuesday
The man wanted in a seemingly unprovoked fatal shooting on a New York City subway turned himself in to police on Tuesday. WABC reports Andrew Abdullah, 25, surrendered to police at a Manhattan precinct after his Brooklyn-based pastor first went to the Fifth Precinct and "worked out the...
to Get Scorched
May 21, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
East Coast, You're About to Get Scorched
Early heat wave set to bring unusually high temps to NYC, Boston
- Cities along the East Coast, from Richmond and Philly to New York and Boston, will be slammed this weekend with "abnormally hot" temps, which the
calls "an ominous signal of the effects of human-caused climate change." On Saturday, temperatures along the Eastern Seaboard are expected...
Monkeypox May Have Made
Its Way to 2nd US State
May 20, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Monkeypox May Have Made Its Way to 2nd US State
Massachusetts had already reported a case of rare disease; now, a suspected case in New York City
- The UK , Portugal, and Spain have all recently reported a small number of confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox, and on Wednesday, Massachusetts phoned in its own report , as officials tried to see if it was linked with the ones overseas. Now, a possible second case in another US city:...
Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
May 19, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
Grubhub's Free-Lunch Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
Chaos ensues in NYC as restaurants are overwhelmed by thousands of orders
- Turns out "there's no such thing as a free lunch" is sadly accurate after all, at least for thousands of New Yorkers who recently tried to take advantage of a scrumptious-sounding Grubhub promotion. NPR reports that the food delivery service, after finding out via an internal survey that...
11-Year-Old Walking With
Her Family Shot in Bronx
May 17, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Walking With Her Family Shot in Bronx
Girl was shot as 2 people on a motorized scooter chased a man running down the sidewalk
- A "senseless" shooting has claimed the life of an 11-year-old girl in New York City after a stray bullet hit her during a chase among strangers. CBS New York reports on the Monday afternoon shooting, which took place in the Longwood neighborhood of the Bronx around 5pm as the...
Viral Post About $27 Airport
Beer Spurs Big Changes
May 17, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
NYC transportation authority is cracking down on food, drink prices at area airports after complaint
- Almost $28 for a 23-ounce glass of Sam Adams summer ale? If that seems pricey, you're not the only one who thinks so. But that's how much it was on the menu at an eatery in New York City's LaGuardia Airport when Cooper Lund was waiting for...
May 12, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
NYC Mayor: Official Residence Is Haunted
Eric Adams says he sees things moving 'all the time'
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams is afraid of ghosts. Questioned Tuesday about why he doesn't live in the mayor's official residence—the 223-year-old Gracie Mansion—Adams denied that the place was too cool for him. "I don't care what anyone says, there are ghosts in...
Jilted Ex Accused of Lover's
Murder: 'I Couldn't Accept It'
May 11, 2022 7:51 AM CDT
Jilted Ex Accused of Lover's Murder: 'I Couldn't Accept It'
David Bonola allegedly said Orsolya Gaal was 'cheating on me,' 'gave me HIV'
- The handyman accused of murdering his lover in the Queens home she shared with her husband and two children then stuffing her body in her son's hockey bag, has offered motives for his alleged actions: He believed Orsolya Gaal was "cheating on me" and "gave me HIV,...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Subway Shooting Suspect
Indicted on 2 Counts
May 7, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Subway Shooting Suspect Indicted on 2 Counts
Each could bring a sentence of life in prison for Frank James
: The man being held in the shooting attack on a New York City subway train last month that wounded 10 people has been indicted. A federal grand jury charged Frank James on Friday with committing a terrorist attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and discharging a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.