Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Plot to Kidnap Governor,
2 Guilty Verdicts
Aug 23, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
In Plot to Kidnap Governor, 2 Guilty Verdicts
Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. face life in prison over plans to abduct Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan
- A jury on Tuesday convicted two men of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, in a plot prosecutors described as a rallying cry for a US civil war by anti-government extremists. The jury also found Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. guilty of conspiring to obtain a...
In Governor Kidnapping
Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Apr 8, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
In Governor Kidnapping Case, No Guilty Verdicts
Two men are acquitted, and the jury deadlocked on the other two
- The government's case against four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor ended Friday with the acquittal of two men and the jury deadlocked on the other two. In other words, zero convictions. The
describes it as a "a staggering blow to the government...
FBI Raids Home After Threats
in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Mar 31, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
FBI Raids Home After Threats in Mich. Gov Kidnap Case
Prosecution has rested its case
- The FBI says it is investigating alleged death threats made in connection with the ongoing trial of four men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. FBI spokesperson Mara Schneider says a Detroit-area home was raided last week over alleged threats to trial participants including the judge and...
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted
to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Mar 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Whitmer Plot Suspect Wanted to Kill Police, Doctors: Witness
Defendant was angered by the possibility of vaccine mandates, informant testifies
- One of the men plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor also had ideas for heading off COVID-19 vaccine mandates, an informant has testified: Kill the police officers who would enforce the mandates, cut off the heads of lawyers who support the vaccines, and blow up the places where vaccines are...
in Bizarre Plot
Mar 8, 2022 1:26 PM CST
Trial Begins in Bizarre Plot to Kidnap Governor
Four men accused in Michigan are expected to use an entrapment defense
- With secret recordings and other evidence, prosecutors are pledging to show how four men were united behind a wild plot to kidnap Michigan's governor in response to her aggressive steps to slow down COVID-19 during the early months of the pandemic. Jury selection began Tuesday in a trial that...
Michigan Drivers, Your
$400 Checks Are Coming
Dec 7, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Michigan Drivers, Your $400 Checks Are Coming
State to refund residents for every vehicle they insure
- Michigan drivers have typically paid some of the highest auto insurance rates in the nation for years, but they're about to get a little payback. Drivers will soon get $400 for every insured vehicle they own, reports NPR . The money is part of an insurance overhaul in the state,...
$600M Flint Settlement
Nov 10, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Judge Approves $600M Flint Settlement
Thousands will be eligible for payments over contaminated water
: Calling it "a remarkable achievement," a judge in Michigan has approved a $626.5 million settlement for thousands of people in Flint whose water was contaminated with lead. US District Judge Judith Levy said Wednesday that the package "is consistent for every qualifying participant, regardless...
Response to Lead Crisis
Oct 14, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Michigan Governor Orders Sweeping Response to Lead Crisis
After criticism, Whitmer says Benton Harbor's pipes will be replaced in 18 months
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday ordered a "whole-of-government" response to elevated levels of lead in Benton Harbor's water and vowed to accelerate the replacement of the southwestern Michigan community's lead pipes. Her directive that state agencies ensure residents have safe tap water came about a week...
Defendant in Plot
to Kidnap Governor
Aug 25, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Defendant in Plot to Kidnap Governor Gets Prison
Judge goes light after prosecutors praise Ty Garbin's cooperation
- The only defendant to admit plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor last year was sentenced to prison on Wednesday. Ty Garbin, 25, was given a prison term of six years, three months in federal court in Grand Rapids, the
New York Times
reports. Prosecutors said Garbin was driven by anger...
Whitmer Rescinds Rule
She Violated in Mich. Bar
May 24, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Whitmer Rescinds Rule She Violated in Mich. Bar
Gatherings of more than 6 people at a table will be allowed as of June 1
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's administration on Monday rescinded a rule that limits restaurant tables to no more than six people, a day after she apologized for violating the COVID-19 regulation while gathering with friends at an East Lansing bar. The Democratic governor has said tables at the Landshark...
Sorry: 'I Made
May 24, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
After Eyebrow- Raising Picture, Whitmer Says Sorry: 'I Made a Mistake'
Photo showed Mich. governor with large group at local restaurant, violating her own health order
- Earlier this month, Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services updated its guidelines regarding eating out, mandating that patrons dining together be restricted to six people, and that groups be spaced 6 feet apart. On Saturday, a notable name violated that health order: Gretchen Whitmer, the state's governor,...
Gretchen Whitmer Kidnap Plot
Now Includes WMD Charges
Apr 29, 2021 1:59 AM CDT
Gretchen Whitmer Kidnap Plot Now Includes WMD Charges
3 men accused in scheme face new charges involving weapons of mass destruction
- Three of the more than a dozen people charged in a kidnapping plot involving Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer now face new weapons of mass destruction charges. Adam Fox, 40, Barry Croft, 45, and Daniel Joseph Harris, 23, were on Wednesday hit with charges they knowingly conspired to use WMDs, CNN...
CDC to Michigan:
Shut Down Again
Apr 13, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
CDC to Michigan: Shut Down Again
Gretchen Whitmer wants more vaccines; federal government has different ideas
- Michigan's current coronavirus outbreak is the worst one in the US, and now the state's governor and the White House are in what CNN refers to as a "standoff" (or, if you prefer the
New York Times
' take, "at loggerheads") over vaccines. Gov. Gretchen...
Youth Sports Is a Suspect
as Infections Increase
Apr 11, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Youth Sports Is a Suspect as Infections Increase
Michigan's governor asks for a timeout, though some teams are declining
- With the rates of young people hospitalized for COVID-19 climbing, especially in Upper Midwest states, officials again are looking for ways to reverse the trend. Sports is one focus. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer would like organized youth sports, games and practices, to take a two-week break. It's not so...
Feds Get First Conviction
in Plot to Kidnap Governor
Jan 27, 2021 12:02 PM CST
Feds Get First Conviction in Plot to Kidnap Governor
'Wolverine Watchmen' member Ty Garbin agrees to testify against other plotters
- One of six men accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer pleaded guilty Wednesday and agreed to testify against the other five suspects. Ty Garbin, a 25-year-old aircraft mechanic, will be sentenced July 8 on a federal charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, which carries a maximum sentence...
Trial Date Set in Case of
Alleged Kidnapping Plot
Jan 16, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Trial Date Set in Case of Alleged Kidnapping Plot
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was said to be the target
- A federal judge has set a March 23 trial date for six men charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor in what authorities say was a plot by anti-government extremists who were angry over her coronavirus policies, the AP reports. In December, a grand jury indicted Adam Dean Fox,...
Media Won't Call Nashville
Bomber What He Is
Dec 29, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Media Won't Call Nashville Bomber What He Is
He's a suicide bomber and a domestic terrorist, writes a Refinery29 columnist
- The Nashville narrative is pretty clear: Authorities say Anthony Quinn Warner packed his RV with explosives and blew it and himself up on Christmas while parked downtown. He was, by the most basic definition of the term, a suicide bomber. And yet you'd be hard-pressed to find the phrase...
Whitmer Kidnapping Plot
Was Actually Plan C
Nov 20, 2020 8:42 AM CST
Whitmer Kidnapping Plot Was Actually Plan C
Plan A was to televise executions of public officials at Capitol: authorities
- The 14 men who allegedly plotted to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had initially planned to take over the state capitol building and execute public officials on TV, according to state officials. Allegations of the group's "Plan A" were contained in an October court filing obtained by the...
Michigan Governor Responds
to Trump Adviser's Criticism
Nov 16, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Michigan Governor Responds to Trump Adviser's Criticism
Whitmer says she will not 'be bullied' after announcing new COVID restrictions
- "I'm not going to be bullied." That's the response of Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer after one of President Trump's COVID advisers delivered a very public rebuke of new restrictions in her state. "We know that the White House likes to single us out here...
Trump COVID Adviser: 'Rise Up'
Against New Mandates
Nov 16, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Trump COVID Adviser: 'Rise Up' Against New Mandates
Scott Atlas not happy with Michigan's coronavirus measures
- Michigan is among a number of states that have recently imposed new restrictions as COVID-19 cases surged, and President Trump's controversial coronavirus adviser Scott Atlas was not having it. "The only way this stops is if people rise up. You get what you accept. #FreedomMatters #StepUp," Atlas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.