Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest
Mass Execution' in Its History
Nov 14, 2023 10:55 AM CST
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest Mass Execution' in Its History
More than a century later, soldier convictions related to the 1917 Houston riots are overturned
- It was, as the
reports, "the largest mass execution carried out in the history of the US Army." On Dec. 11, 1917, 13 Buffalo Soldiers were hanged in a military camp near Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. The African American cavalry soldiers of the...
This Baltimore Settlement
Is Maryland's Biggest Ever
Oct 21, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
This Baltimore Settlement Is Maryland's Biggest Ever
City to pay $48 million to 3 men wrongfully convicted as teens who spent 36 years behind bars
- In November 1983, 14-year-old DeWitt Duckett was fatally gunned down in Baltimore, and cops soon said they had their suspects: three other neighborhood teens, all 16, who were arrested on Thanksgiving Day and subsequently convicted of murder and sent to prison for life. That trio—Alfred Chestnut, Ransom Watkins, and...
Murder to Get
Sep 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Pair Wrongfully Convicted of Murder to Get $25M Payout
Connecticut settlement involves forensic expert Henry Lee, accused of fabricating evidence
- Connecticut's attorney general has agreed to a $25.2 million settlement with two men who spent decades in prison for murder, based partly on evidence presented by famed forensic scientist Henry Lee that a judge later found was fabricated. Ralph "Ricky" Birch and Shawn Henning were convicted in...
New Life Is
One of Grief
May 27, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Alice Sebold's New Life Is One of Grief and 'Shame'
Bestselling author hasn't yet met with Anthony Broadwater, whom she once thought raped her
- More than a year after the man she wrongfully accused of raping her had his conviction overturned, author Alice Sebold is still struggling to comprehend her role in what happened. "I still don't know where to go with this but to grief and to silence and to shame,...
2 Wrongfully Convicted Men
to Get $900K From State
Apr 21, 2023 4:21 AM CDT
2 Wrongfully Convicted Men to Get $900K From State
Dupree Glass, Juan Rayfor spent almost 17 years in prison for crime they didn't commit
- Two men who served nearly 17 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of attempted murder after a 2004 shooting were declared innocent Thursday by a California judge. Under a new law, the state is required to pay them each $140 for every day they spent behind bars, or about...
NY to Pay $5.5M to Man
Cleared of Raping Author
Mar 27, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
NY to Pay $5.5M to Man Cleared of Raping Author
Alice Sebold misidentified Anthony Broadwater, who was later exonerated
- The State of New York has agreed to pay $5.5 million to the man wrongly convicted of raping Alice Sebold more than 40 years ago. Anthony Broadwater spent 16 years in prison after Sebold misidentified him as the man who raped her when she was a college student in...
Mar 15, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Inmate Serving 400-Year Sentence Exonerated
Sidney Holmes was convicted of robbery in 1989
- A beaming Sidney Holmes walked out of a Florida jail Monday and hugged family members as he tasted freedom for the first time in the 34 years since he was wrongfully convicted of robbery. The 57-year-old was exonerated after the State Attorney's Conviction Review Unit determined that there was...
He Spent 38 Years Imprisoned
for a Murder He Didn't Commit
Mar 2, 2023 2:00 AM CST
He Spent 38 Years Imprisoned for a Murder He Didn't Commit
Maurice Hastings has now been declared innocent
- Months after his release from prison, Maurice Hastings has been officially declared innocent by a judge. The Los Angeles man was wrongfully convicted of a 1983 murder, but was exonerated decades later by DNA evidence. The judge vacated Hastings' conviction in October when he was freed, but prosecutors and Hastings'...
Judge Vacates Conviction of
Man Imprisoned for 28 Years
Feb 14, 2023 5:50 PM CST
Judge Vacates Conviction of Man Imprisoned for 28 Years
Lamar Johnson always said he didn't commit 1994 murder
- A Missouri judge on Tuesday overturned the conviction of a man who has served nearly 28 years of a life sentence for a killing that he has always said he didn't commit. Lamar Johnson, 50, closed his eyes and shook his head slightly as a member of his legal...
Like Josh Tepfer
Jan 22, 2023 3:55 PM CST
No One Has Secured Exonerations Like Josh Tepfer
BuzzFeed profiles the Chicago attorney
- "He gave me life again," one man said of Josh Tepfer. Multiply the sentiment by at least 288. Writing for BuzzFeed News , Melissa Segura profiles the 47-year-old Chicago attorney, who has led the charge in securing the exonerations of 288 wrongfully convicted people and numbers "among the...
Gunned Down at Funeral
Dec 22, 2022 1:21 AM CST
Exonerated Man Gunned Down at Funeral
Christopher Williams spent nearly 3 decades behind bars, 25 of them on death row
- Christopher Williams spent a quarter-century on Pennsylvania's death row, wrongfully convicted of four murders, before being exonerated. He spent just 22 months free before he was fatally shot while attending a funeral Friday, NBC News reports. The 62-year-old was shot in the head at Philadelphia's Mount Peace Cemetery,...
Her Voter Fraud Conviction
Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Oct 26, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Her Voter Fraud Conviction Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Pamela Moses accuses Tennessee, DA's office of wrongful conviction, humiliation
- A Tennessee activist who received a six-year prison sentence for trying to register to vote while on felony probation is believed to be the first person to sue prosecutors after her case was thrown out, per the
. Pamela Moses, convicted of illegal voter registration in November, was incarcerated for...
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as
Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Oct 20, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Ex-cop Len Davis, now on death row, covered up crimes by his drug dealer associates
- Three men imprisoned for 28 years were wrongfully convicted of murder in a 1994 drive-by shooting, now linked to two former police officers who happened to arrive on the scene before the lone eyewitness even finished calling 911, a New Orleans court heard Wednesday. Bernell Juluke, Kunta Gable, and Leroy...
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Convicted Pedophile Clears
His Name—3 Years After Death
Oct 7, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Convicted Pedophile Clears His Name—3 Years After Death
New Zealand Supreme Court overturns 1993 child sex abuse conviction of Peter Ellis
- Peter Ellis, a former day-care teacher convicted of 16 counts of child sexual abuse in New Zealand in 1993, maintained his innocence until his 2019 death from bladder cancer. Usually one's death marks the end of their criminal appeal. But not in this case. New Zealand's Supreme Court...
Nearly 3 Decades Later,
Sep 8, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Nearly 3 Decades Later, an Exoneration
Herman Williams' wrongful conviction for ex-wife's murder tore family apart
- "Don't give up." That's the message from a man who was just exonerated of a first-degree murder conviction for which he spent almost 29 years in prison. Herman Williams left Illinois' Sheridan Correctional Center on Tuesday after the Lake County State's Attorney's Office acknowledged...
Prisoner Convicted at 17
Exonerated 36 Years Later
Aug 29, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Prisoner Convicted at 17 Exonerated 36 Years Later
Sullivan Walter freed after judge vacates conviction for New Orleans rape
- A Black man wrongfully convicted as a teenager for a New Orleans rape more than 36 years ago was ordered freed after a judge threw out his conviction. Sullivan Walter, now 53, used a handkerchief to wipe away tears as a state district judge formally vacated his conviction for a...
Man in Prison for 31 Years
Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Jun 27, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
Man in Prison for 31 Years Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Natlie Figgers, out of law school just 2 years, helps free wrongly convicted Thomas Raynard James
- It started with a murder in Miami, a crime that sent Thomas Raynard James to prison for more than three decades. In April, however, a judge vacated James' conviction and set him free, thanks to the efforts of an attorney just two years out of law school who was determined...
Man Wins $10.5M Decades
After Being Allegedly Framed
May 6, 2022 10:33 AM CDT
Man Wins $10.5M Decades After Being Allegedly Framed
Shawn Williams spent 24 years in prison
- A woman said she saw Shawn Williams with a gun at the scene in Brooklyn, NY, where his neighbor was shot to death in July 1993. The 19-year-old denied that he'd pulled the trigger. In fact, he denied that he was even in the state. It didn't matter....
They Spent 25 Years in Prison.
The Real Killer Was the Man
Who Sent Them There
Mar 23, 2022 5:59 PM CDT
They Spent 25 Years in Prison. The Real Killer Was the Man Who Sent Them There
Michigan brothers freed after new evidence against witness surfaces
- Two brothers from Pontiac, Michigan, are free men after spending 25 years in state prisons for a murder they did not commit. George DeJesus, 44, and Melvin DeJesus, 48 were found guilty in 1997 of the murder of family friend Margaret Midkiff after a jury believed testimony from the man...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.