Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Like Josh Tepfer
Jan 22, 2023 3:55 PM CST
No One Has Secured Exonerations Like Josh Tepfer
BuzzFeed profiles the Chicago attorney
- "He gave me life again," one man said of Josh Tepfer. Multiply the sentiment by at least 288. Writing for BuzzFeed News , Melissa Segura profiles the 47-year-old Chicago attorney, who has led the charge in securing the exonerations of 288 wrongfully convicted people and numbers "among the...
Gunned Down at Funeral
Dec 22, 2022 1:21 AM CST
Exonerated Man Gunned Down at Funeral
Christopher Williams spent nearly 3 decades behind bars, 25 of them on death row
- Christopher Williams spent a quarter-century on Pennsylvania's death row, wrongfully convicted of four murders, before being exonerated. He spent just 22 months free before he was fatally shot while attending a funeral Friday, NBC News reports. The 62-year-old was shot in the head at Philadelphia's Mount Peace Cemetery,...
He Spent 38 Years Behind Bars
for a Murder He Didn't Commit
Oct 31, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
He Spent 38 Years Behind Bars for a Murder He Didn't Commit
Maurice Hastings was exonerated this month
- Maurice Hastings spent 38 years behind bars after he was convicted in the 1983 kidnapping, sexual assault, and murder of a California woman. But this month, the 69-year-old was released from prison after DNA testing confirmed the real killer of 30-year-old Roberta Wydermyer was another man, who died in prison...
Her Voter Fraud Conviction
Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Oct 26, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Her Voter Fraud Conviction Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Pamela Moses accuses Tennessee, DA's office of wrongful conviction, humiliation
- A Tennessee activist who received a six-year prison sentence for trying to register to vote while on felony probation is believed to be the first person to sue prosecutors after her case was thrown out, per the
. Pamela Moses, convicted of illegal voter registration in November, was incarcerated for...
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as
Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Oct 20, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Ex-cop Len Davis, now on death row, covered up crimes by his drug dealer associates
- Three men imprisoned for 28 years were wrongfully convicted of murder in a 1994 drive-by shooting, now linked to two former police officers who happened to arrive on the scene before the lone eyewitness even finished calling 911, a New Orleans court heard Wednesday. Bernell Juluke, Kunta Gable, and Leroy...
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Convicted Pedophile Clears
His Name—3 Years After Death
Oct 7, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Convicted Pedophile Clears His Name—3 Years After Death
New Zealand Supreme Court overturns 1993 child sex abuse conviction of Peter Ellis
- Peter Ellis, a former day-care teacher convicted of 16 counts of child sexual abuse in New Zealand in 1993, maintained his innocence until his 2019 death from bladder cancer. Usually one's death marks the end of their criminal appeal. But not in this case. New Zealand's Supreme Court...
Nearly 3 Decades Later,
Sep 8, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Nearly 3 Decades Later, an Exoneration
Herman Williams' wrongful conviction for ex-wife's murder tore family apart
- "Don't give up." That's the message from a man who was just exonerated of a first-degree murder conviction for which he spent almost 29 years in prison. Herman Williams left Illinois' Sheridan Correctional Center on Tuesday after the Lake County State's Attorney's Office acknowledged...
Prisoner Convicted at 17
Exonerated 36 Years Later
Aug 29, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Prisoner Convicted at 17 Exonerated 36 Years Later
Sullivan Walter freed after judge vacates conviction for New Orleans rape
- A Black man wrongfully convicted as a teenager for a New Orleans rape more than 36 years ago was ordered freed after a judge threw out his conviction. Sullivan Walter, now 53, used a handkerchief to wipe away tears as a state district judge formally vacated his conviction for a...
Man in Prison for 31 Years
Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Jun 27, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
Man in Prison for 31 Years Finds Savior in Novice Attorney
Natlie Figgers, out of law school just 2 years, helps free wrongly convicted Thomas Raynard James
- It started with a murder in Miami, a crime that sent Thomas Raynard James to prison for more than three decades. In April, however, a judge vacated James' conviction and set him free, thanks to the efforts of an attorney just two years out of law school who was determined...
Man Wins $10.5M Decades
After Being Allegedly Framed
May 6, 2022 10:33 AM CDT
Man Wins $10.5M Decades After Being Allegedly Framed
Shawn Williams spent 24 years in prison
- A woman said she saw Shawn Williams with a gun at the scene in Brooklyn, NY, where his neighbor was shot to death in July 1993. The 19-year-old denied that he'd pulled the trigger. In fact, he denied that he was even in the state. It didn't matter....
They Spent 25 Years in Prison.
The Real Killer Was the Man
Who Sent Them There
Mar 23, 2022 5:59 PM CDT
They Spent 25 Years in Prison. The Real Killer Was the Man Who Sent Them There
Michigan brothers freed after new evidence against witness surfaces
- Two brothers from Pontiac, Michigan, are free men after spending 25 years in state prisons for a murder they did not commit. George DeJesus, 44, and Melvin DeJesus, 48 were found guilty in 1997 of the murder of family friend Margaret Midkiff after a jury believed testimony from the man...
Man Sues for $93M
Mar 19, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Wrongfully Imprisoned Man Sues for $93M
Lamonte McIntyre, whose mother says detective coerced her into sex, served 23 years
- A Kansas man who served 23 years in prison for a double murder he did not commit is seeking $93 million in damages from the county where he was convicted and a former detective he says framed him. Lamonte McIntyre, 45, and his mother allege in a lawsuit filed in...
The Case of Hamid Hayat vs.
America's Post-9/11 Fears
Mar 12, 2022 4:05 PM CST
The Case of Hamid Hayat vs. America's Post-9/11 Fears
Hamid Hayat ended up serving 14 years
- "I have no ill feelings, no grudges, no anger in me. I just don’t want this to happen to anybody ever again," Hamid Hayat tells Jason Fagone, who writes at length about what Hayat has been through for the
San Francisco Chronicle.
Born in Lodi, California, to...
Sebold Apologizes After
Rape Conviction Overturned
Nov 30, 2021 7:12 PM CST
Sebold Apologizes After Rape Conviction Overturned
'I know that no apology can change what happened to you and never will'
- Alice Sebold has apologized for her role in ruining a young Black man's life 40 years ago. The author of
The Lovely Bones
issued a public apology Tuesday to Anthony Broadwater Jr., who spent 16 years in prison after Sebold saw him on a street in Syracuse and told...
Jailed at 18,
He's Now a
Nov 26, 2021 6:04 AM CST
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
Kevin Strickland has always maintained his innocence in 1978 murders
Missouri man Kevin Strickland may finally have his freedom after being wrongfully imprisoned for 43 years, but what he didn't have, at least initially, was money. CNN explains that under state law, only those who were exonerated due to DNA testing are eligible to receive imprisonment payments. DNA...
Man Cleared in 1981 Rape
of Celebrated Author
Nov 24, 2021 3:07 PM CST
Man Cleared in 1981 Rape of Celebrated Author
Alice Sebold misidentified Anthony Broadwater, who was exonerated after filmmaker had doubts
- Before a district attorney and a man wrongly convicted of rape in 1982 appeared in a New York court Monday, they met alone in another room. "When he spoke to me about the wrong that was done to me, I couldn't help but cry," Anthony Broadwater said....
He Witnessed a Murder,
Then Knowingly Lied on Stand
Oct 31, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
He Witnessed a Murder, Then Knowingly Lied on Stand
'New Yorker' follows up on case of trio who wrongfully spent 36 years behind bars
- The story made headlines a few years ago : Three men were freed from prison after serving 36 years for a Baltimore murder they didn't commit. At the
, Jennifer Gonnerman provides an in-depth look at what happened from a unique perspective—that of one of the young witnesses...
After 45 Years in
Prison for Murder,
He's Acquitted at 83
Oct 28, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
After 45 Years in Prison for Murder, He's Acquitted at 83
'I've become free,' Isaiah Andrews says following ruling in wife's 1974 murder
- Isaiah Andrews spent 45 years in prison after he was convicted of killing his wife in 1974. But "the guy was in prison for something he didn't do," a juror told Cleveland.com on Wednesday after the 83-year-old was acquitted of aggravated murder in a Cuyahoga County...
Innocent Man Freed After
15 Years Dies of COVID
Sep 13, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Innocent Man Freed After 15 Years Dies of COVID
Damon Thibodeaux had gotten his first shot of vaccine just days before contracting the virus
- A man who spent a third of his life behind bars for a murder he didn’t commit has died of COVID just a few short years after his exoneration. After a nine-hour interrogation in 1996, 22-year-old Damon Thibodeaux confessed to killing his cousin Crystal Champagne and was convicted in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.