Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
AI-Powered Recipe Bot
Offers Deadly Suggestions
Aug 10, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
AI-Powered Recipe Bot Offers Deadly Suggestions
Ant-poison jelly sandwiches, anyone?
- A supermarket chain in New Zealand had to make some changes to its artificial intelligence-powered recipe app after it delivered some potentially deadly recommendations. The Savey Meal-bot from Pak'nSave came up with meal plans or recipes when customers entered lists of ingredients, but users soon discovered that the bot...
America's No. 2, No. 4
Grocery Chains Plan Merger
Oct 14, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
America's No. 2, No. 4 Grocery Chains Plan Merger
Antitrust regulators will be looking closely at proposed Kroger's, Albertsons merger
- Seven years after Albertsons bought Safeway, Kroger is planning to acquire Albertsons in a deal that would create a grocery giant almost big enough to knock Walmart out of the No. 1 spot. Kroger is currently No. 2, and it would likely remain so under the proposed merger: The two...
They Tried to Flee
the Kroger Gunman.
He Followed Them
Sep 24, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
They Tried to Flee the Kroger Gunman. He Followed Them
'He kept on shooting, shooting, shooting,' a cashier says after shooting in Collierville, Tenn.
- One person is dead and 14 are injured after what's believed to be at least the third supermarket shooting in the US this year. Now more details are trickling out, including the identity of the person fatally shot Thursday at a Kroger in Collierville, Tenn., Thursday. Relatives have IDed...
In a London Parking Lot,
a 6-Year-Long 'Magnum Opus'
Apr 30, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
In a London Parking Lot, a 6-Year-Long 'Magnum Opus'
Gareth Wild was determined to park in 211 separate spaces at supermarket
- If you took a survey on people's favorite things to do, finding a parking space likely wouldn't rank very high—unless you're Gareth Wild, who just finished his "magnum opus" related to the activity, reports the BBC . In a Tuesday Twitter thread , the 39-year-old production director...
Suspect Arrested in
Apr 20, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Supermarket Shooting
Police say a suspect identified as Gabriel DeWitt Wilson has been apprehended
- Police say the suspect in a shooting that killed one and injured two at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday morning had ties to the store. They say it’s unclear whether Gabriel DeWitt Wilson, 30, is a current or former employee, CNN reports. More than a hundred people were...
He Got in His
Car After Grocery
Apr 2, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
He Got in His Car After Grocery Shopping. Then, 'Holy Cow'
Man had 15,000 bees waiting for him in his vehicle in an Albertsons parking lot in Las Cruces, NM
- Ever get behind the wheel and feel the creepy sensation that someone or something unwelcome is in the car with you? That's what happened to a man in Las Cruces, NM, over the weekend after a short trip to the grocery store, but to his horror, there wasn't...
LA County Orders Grocery
Stores to Fork Over 'Hero Pay'
Feb 24, 2021 6:35 AM CST
LA County Orders Grocery Stores to Fork Over 'Hero Pay'
Board of Supervisors approves $5/hour mandate for workers in designated stores for next 120 days
- A mandate kicking off this week will put more money in the pockets of grocery workers in Los Angeles County for braving the pandemic to clock in. Starting Friday, national grocery and retail drug stores in unincorporated areas of the county have to start forking over $5 more an hour...
Airline Now Selling Its
Meals in Supermarkets
Oct 15, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Airline Now Selling Its Meals in Supermarkets
Finnair wants to satisfy 'wanderlust'
- Finnair says it wants to keep its catering staff employed—and bring a taste of air travel to hungry Finns stuck at home because of the pandemic. The airline says it's planning to sell business-class meals in supermarkets, and the choices will be more exciting than "beef or...
No More 'Feminine Hygiene'
Products in This Supermarket
Jun 26, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
No More 'Feminine Hygiene' Products in This Supermarket
NZ's Countdown chain will drop euphemisms, just use 'period' for tampons, pads, and menstrual cups
- New Zealand shoppers annoyed at tap-dancing around the word "period" on menstrual products may want to start doing their shopping at Countdown: The
reports that the supermarket chain will be nixing euphemistic terms such as "sanitary" and "feminine hygiene" on products like tampons, pads, and menstrual...
Sticker Shock at the
Supermarket? You're Not Alone
May 13, 2020 7:32 AM CDT
Sticker Shock at the Supermarket? You're Not Alone
Price of groceries just saw record-setting spike due to coronavirus pandemic
- With most Americans sheltering at home as they wait out the coronavirus pandemic, you may have noticed that while your eating-out tab has gone down, your supermarket bill has gone up. It's not in your head: The monthly consumer price index has been released by the Bureau of Labor...
Man Who Used KKK Hood as
Face Mask Is Off the Hook
May 12, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Man Who Used KKK Hood as Face Mask Is Off the Hook
Police say their hands are tied after supermarket incident in Santee, Calif.
- A white man pictured wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood at a supermarket near San Diego will not face charges. An investigation into the May 2 incident at the Vons in Santee didn't uncover enough evidence for police to pursue charges, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said...
$35K in Food Dumped After
'Twisted Prank' in Grocery Store
Mar 26, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
$35K in Food Dumped After 'Twisted Prank' in Grocery Store
Woman went around coughing on everything as a joke, store co-owner says
- A "very challenging day" at a Pennsylvania grocery store started with a cough and ended with more than $35,000 worth of food being dumped.
reports on the incident Wednesday at Gerrity's Supermarket in Hanover Township, where a woman reportedly came in and "proceeded to...
'Knucklehead' Accused of
Coughing on Grocery Worker
Mar 25, 2020 4:11 AM CDT
'Knucklehead' Accused of Coughing on Grocery Worker
NJ man charged with terroristic threats
- A New Jersey man described as a "knucklehead" by Gov. Phil Murphy is facing serious charges after allegedly coughing on a supermarket worker. Authorities say that after the Wegmans employee expressed concern that George Falcone was standing too close to her and a display of prepared foods, he moved...
Supermarket Grabs Odd
Dec 10, 2019 12:36 PM CST
Supermarket Grabs Odd Impeachment Spotlight
GOP attorney uses reusable tote for a briefcase, and the chain capitalizes
- Monday's impeachment hearing was serious business. Mostly. There was also the oddity of Republican attorney Steve Castor arriving at the proceeding with all his material tucked into a reusable supermarket bag instead of a briefcase. As
points, lots of people on the internet noticed . So, too, did the...
Supermarket Scraps Very Bad
Idea to Gauge Uniform Sizes
Nov 26, 2019 2:58 PM CST
Supermarket Scraps Very Bad Idea to Gauge Uniform Sizes
Albert Heijn apologizes after asking employees to submit photos of themselves in underwear
- When it comes to the question "How can we figure out sizes for our employees' new work uniforms?" one business came up with possibly the worst answer: Ask workers to submit scantily-clad pictures of themselves. Albert Heijn, the leading supermarket chain in the Netherlands, asked employees at one branch...
Noticed His Good
Deed. They Did
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
Missing Worker's Body Was
in Supermarket for 10 Years
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 28, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Worker's Body Was in Supermarket for 10 Years
Iowa man was trapped in gap behind freezer units
- Workers removing old freezer units from a former supermarket in Council Bluffs, Iowa, earlier this year made a horrifying discovery: the body of a worker who vanished almost a decade earlier. Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada, 25, was reported missing Nov. 28, 2009, after he became upset and ran out of his...
Amazon Is Making Big
Changes at Whole Foods
Apr 2, 2019 5:10 AM CDT
Amazon Is Making Big Changes at Whole Foods
New round of price cuts takes effect Wednesday
- Whole Foods is taking steps to change its "Whole Paycheck" image with another round of price cuts. According to documents seen by the
Wall Street Journal
, the Amazon-owned grocery chain is planning to cut prices on more than 500 items, mainly produce and meat, as of Wednesday. Sources tell...
2 Women Were Told to Speak
English. Enter a 'Shero'
Oct 5, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
2 Women Were Told to Speak English. Enter a 'Shero'
Linda Dwire arrested and charged with harassing 2 Mexican women shopping in Colorado
- A confrontation among four women in a Colorado grocery store has led to one being called a "shero," two grateful for her efforts, and a fourth, who calls herself the "patriotic" one of the bunch, arrested, per the Daily Dot . The incident took place at a City...
of Eating on the
Her Own Lunch
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
She's Accused of Eating on the Job—but Not Her Own Lunch
Ohio deli worker accused of devouring $9.2K of ham and salami, a handful of slices at a time
- Vice's Munchies notes this case could be one of "thinly sliced larceny," but whether charges emerge remains to be seen. A loss-prevention manager at a Giant Eagle supermarket in Bolivar, Ohio, recently received an odd tip about a longtime employee at the deli counter: She was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.