Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Williams Sisters Form
Doubles Team at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 9:30 PM CDT
Williams Sisters Form Doubles Team at US Open
Sibling stars lose in first round
Serena and Venus Williams lost in the first round of doubles at the US Open Thursday night, their first time playing together in 4 1/2 years. "I’m so sorry for you that we beat them, but we are so happy that we did it," said Lucie...
Top 10 Baby Names
Inspired by Sports Stars
Aug 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Top 10 Baby Names Inspired by Sports Stars
Kobe tops the most recent list
- Teachers will be calling on a lot more Kobes in about five years. As KTLA reports, the name "Kobe" tops the list of baby names presumably inspired by sports stars between 2000 and 2021. The list, compiled by Betsperts , found that more than 17,000 infants born in the...
Director Is Sorry for
About Williams Sisters
Mar 14, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Director Is Sorry for 'Thoughtless' Remark About Williams Sisters
'You don’t play against the guys, like I have to,' Jane Campion said
- Director Jane Campion has apologized for what she admits was a "thoughtless" comment about Serena and Venus Williams at the Critics Choice Awards Sunday. Campion, who won the Best Director award for
The Power of the Dog
, was slammed as "arrogant" after she praised her fellow nominees, all...
Serena Williams on
Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
Mar 3, 2022 8:14 AM CST
Serena Williams on
Photo Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
She calls out paper for using a photo of sister Venus in story about her own venture fund
- Serena Williams is one of the most famous and recognizable athletes in the world, with no shortage of images of her that the media can use to complement stories profiling her. The tennis great is now taking one of those publications to task, after it used a photo not of...
May 18, 2021 6:18 AM CDT
Venus to Umpire: 'I Can't Control God'
Tennis star is penalized after waiting for wind gusts to die down before serving
- Venus Williams lost Monday in the first round of an Italian tennis tournament, but her encounter with the match's umpire is making more headlines than the defeat. At one point, the 40-year-old waited for strong wind gusts to die down before serving and was penalized with a time violation,...
Huge Wimbledon Upset:
Jul 1, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Huge Wimbledon Upset: 15-Year-Old Beats Venus Williams
The future is bright for Cori 'Coco' Gauff, Williams says
- Cori "Coco" Gauff was already, at 15, the youngest player of the Open era to advance to Wimbledon's main draw through qualifying rather than direct entry—and in her tournament debut Monday, the teen bested none other than five-time Wimbledon champ Venus Williams, CNN reports. Williams, who has...
After Routing Sister, Serena
Praises a Fan in the Stands
Sep 1, 2018 5:29 AM CDT
After Routing Sister, Serena Praises a Fan in the Stands
She says everyone should be 'grateful and honored' for Colin Kaepernick
- Serena Williams kept booming big shots for winners, never allowing herself to feel sorry for the overmatched player on the other side. So what if it happened to be her big sister? The Williams sisters learned long ago in careers that have spanned 20 years and 30 meetings as professionals...
Highest-Paid Female Athletes
Don't Come Close to the Men
Aug 22, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Highest-Paid Female Athletes Don't Come Close to the Men
3 male athletes each made more than top 10 women athletes' combined earnings for 2018
- A quick perusal of
list of the highest-earning female athletes of 2018 reveals why women were so upset with this male-dominated list . If all 10 combined their earnings, they wouldn't touch the highest-paid male athlete. Or the runner-up. Or the third-place finisher. As expected, Serena Williams leads the...
$400K Worth of
Nov 16, 2017 7:19 PM CST
Thieves Steal $400K Worth of Stuff From Venus Williams' Home
Burglary happened while Williams was at US Open
- Burglars hit tennis star Venus Williams' Florida home, stealing $400,000 worth of goods while she was at the US Open, the AP reports. The burglary happened between Sept. 1 and Sept. 5 at Williams' 10,000-square-foot home, which is in a well-to-do gated community, Palm Beach Gardens police said...
Cops: Venus Williams
Didn't Run Red Light
Jul 8, 2017 6:00 AM CDT
Cops: Venus Williams Didn't Run Red Light
Video shows tennis star entered intersection legally moments before crash
- A new video shows Venus Williams legally entered an intersection but was cut off by another car moments before a fatal crash, reports
. Police in Palm Beach Gardens say footage captured by a security camera reveals the tennis star's Toyota SUV stops at a light at 1pm...
Venus Williams Granted
Emergency Order in Crash Suit
Jul 7, 2017 7:25 AM CDT
Venus Williams Granted Emergency Order in Crash Suit
Judge temporarily blocked inspection of car involved in the crash
- Venus Williams is set to take on Japan's Naomi Osaka at Wimbledon Friday, but she's already scored a tiny win in a different kind of court. A Palm Beach County judge on Wednesday granted an emergency request by Williams' attorney to temporarily block an inspection of a car...
Goes Speechless When
Asked About Fatal Crash
Jul 3, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
Venus Williams Goes Speechless When Asked About Fatal Crash
Reporter brought it up during Wimbledon press conference
- Venus Williams broke down during a press conference Monday when she was asked about the fatal car crash she was involved in last month. ESPN has video of Williams' response during the press conference that followed her winning her opening match at Wimbledon. "There are really no words to...
Venus Williams Sued
for Wrongful Death
Jun 30, 2017 10:12 AM CDT
Venus Williams Sued for Wrongful Death
Lawsuit accuses her of running red light, causing fatal car crash
- Venus Williams is being sued for wrongful death over the fatal car crash she was involved in earlier this month. A police report states Williams was at fault when she entered a Florida intersection June 9 and was T-boned by another vehicle that had the right of way; the couple...
Police Fault Venus Williams
in Fatal Florida Car Crash
Jun 30, 2017 12:05 AM CDT
Police Fault Venus Williams in Fatal Florida Car Crash
Though an investigation is ongoing
- Police say tennis star Venus Williams was at fault in a traffic accident that resulted in the death of a 78-year-old man, TMZ reports, citing a police report from the June 9 incident in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. According to ESPN , Williams told police she was trying to get through...
Serena Beats Venus
for Record 23rd Major
Jan 28, 2017 6:52 AM CST
Serena Beats Venus for Record 23rd Major
Younger Williams sister regains top spot
- Serena Williams has won her record 23rd Grand Slam singles title, and her sister was right there on court to give her a congratulatory hug. The all-Williams final—the first at the Australian Open since Serena beat Venus in the first edition here in 2003—went to the younger sibling...
Australian Open Will Have
an All-Williams Final
Jan 26, 2017 12:07 AM CST
Australian Open Will Have an All-Williams Final
Serena says she will face her 'toughest opponent'
- Serena Williams is one win away from a record 23rd Grand Slam title after setting up an all-Williams final at the Australian Open. Now the only person standing in her way is her older sister, Venus. No. 2-ranked Serena Williams, a six-time Australian Open winner, overwhelmed Mirjana Lucic-Baroni 6-2, 6-1...
Hit Medical Info
of US Athletes
Sep 14, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Rio Revenge? Russian Hackers Hit Medical Info of US Athletes
'What we're seeing here is a digital temper tantrum,'
- In what one analyst calls a "digital temper tantrum," hackers linked to the Russian government have hacked into the World Anti-Doping Agency's Olympic database and released information on star American athletes, including Serena and Venus Williams. WADA has confirmed the security breach, and the hacking group "...
Serena Williams Beats Her Sis, Moves Closer to Slam
Sep 8, 2015 9:55 PM CDT
Serena Williams Beats Her Sis, Moves Closer to Slam
A 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 victory
- If Serena Williams would feel sympathy for any opponent standing in the way of her pursuit of tennis's first true Grand Slam in 27 years, it might very well be her sister Venus. Still, no way was Serena going to let anyone, or anything, stop her on this night,...
Serena, Venus Stunned
Early in French Open
May 28, 2014 8:30 AM CDT
Serena, Venus Stunned Early in French Open
They'd have met in the next round otherwise
- Instead of looking forward to playing each other this week at the French Open, Serena and Venus Williams will both be heading home early. The American sisters both lost to little-known opponents in the second round today. Serena, the defending French Open champion and a 17-time major winner, lost to...
Wins 1st Title in 2 Years
Oct 21, 2012 11:36 AM CDT
Venus Williams Wins 1st Title in 2 Years
Injuries, illness have slowed 32-year-old
- Venus Williams won her first WTA tournament in more than two years, beating Monica Niculescu of Romania 6-2, 6-3 to take the Luxembourg Open title today. Slowed by injuries and illness for two seasons, Williams showed she still had the winning touch and played steady tennis while Niculescu proved error-prone...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.