Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
After 'Doomsday Vault'
Withdrawal Comes a Deposit
Feb 14, 2022 12:06 PM CST
After 'Doomsday Vault' Withdrawal Comes a Deposit
Group formerly in Syria deposits seeds for safeguarding, a milestone for the vault
The world's "Doomsday Vault" opened its doors Monday to accept more seeds from abroad. The vault in Norway was taking seeds for safeguarding from facilities in Uganda, Sudan, New Zealand, Germany, and Lebanon, reports Reuters . Most notably, the International Center for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas, formerly...
At Doomsday Vault Meant to
Protect Our Seeds, a Breach
May 20, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
At Doomsday Vault Meant to Protect Our Seeds, a Breach
But don't panic just yet
- "This is supposed to last for eternity," says the operator of the so-called Doomsday Vault , which since 2008 has been tucked within a mountain on a Norwegian island 800 miles from the North Pole where the soil is always frozen—or is supposed to be. The
'Doomsday' Vault Just
Made Its 1st 'Real-World Run'
Feb 23, 2017 2:08 PM CST
'Doomsday' Vault Just Made Its 1st 'Real-World Run'
It came much sooner than anyone would have imagined when the vault first opened
- Nearly 10 years after a "doomsday" seed vault opened on an Arctic island, some 50,000 new samples from seed collections around the world have been deposited in the world's largest repository built to safeguard against wars or natural disasters wiping out global food crops, reports the AP...
'Doomsday Vault' Sees
Its First Withdrawal
Sep 23, 2015 7:29 AM CDT
'Doomsday Vault' Sees Its First Withdrawal
Spurred by the Syrian civil war
- The "Doomsday Vault" just got its first bit of doomsday press: coverage of its first-ever withdrawal of seeds. Since 2008, the vault has sat on a Norwegian island in the Svalbard archipelago, 800 miles from the North Pole where the soil is always frozen. It's a place so...
Gets First Tree Seeds
Mar 2, 2015 2:07 PM CST
'Doomsday Vault' Gets First Tree Seeds
Spruce and pine among new collection added to Svalbard Global Seed Vault
- The " Doomsday Vault " sits on an Arctic Island, quietly helping to protect our future. At first, it mostly collected and stored food crops, but it recently got its first shipment of tree seeds,
reports. Norway spruce and Scots pine are, of course, not much of a meal,...
Feb 27, 2014 7:43 AM CST
'Doomsday Vault' Gets Sizable Birthday Present
Sleep easy tonight: Key miso ingredient is now safe
- Earth is now slightly better prepared for an agricultural apocalypse: The "Doomsday Vault" is 20,000-species stronger as of this week— its sixth birthday . A new wave of seed varieties were deposited that hail from more than 100 countries and represent a "sort of winter Olympics of crop...
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.