Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Flying This Summer?
Cut TSA Lines for Free
Jun 9, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Flying This Summer? Cut TSA Lines for Free
Clear Reserve system lets you reserve your spot at the front of TSA checkpoint queues
- Already dreading long security lines for your next flight? There've long been services that allow you to cut those lines, but you've got to open your wallet and do a good amount of prep work for them. Now, an option for those short on funds and time: the...
New TSA Tech Assesses If
'You Are Who You Say You Are'
May 15, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
New TSA Tech Assesses If 'You Are Who You Say You Are'
Pilot program is using facial recognition in 16 airports, but some are worried about privacy issues
- A passenger walks up to an airport security checkpoint, slips an ID card into a slot, and looks into a camera atop a small screen. The screen flashes "Photo Complete," and the person walks through—all without having to hand over their identification to the Transportation Security Administration...
Leave Your 'Vampire' Straws
at Home Next Time You Fly
Apr 29, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Leave Your 'Vampire' Straws at Home Next Time You Fly
Man arrested at Logan Airport for trying to bring titanium smoothie-sipper/tire deflator in carry-on
- On the Szabo Inc. website , a "Vampire" straw is sold for $85, promoted as a "unique" item made of titanium that "allows the user to drink effortlessly any thick shake or smoothie." It's also "long enough to drink from any long beverage can,"...
Explosive Found in Bag
at Pennsylvania Airport
Mar 1, 2023 5:55 PM CST
Explosive Found in Bag at Pennsylvania Airport
Authorities say device in suitcase posed 'significant risk'
- A man was arrested after an explosive was found in a bag checked onto a Florida-bound flight at an eastern Pennsylvania airport, federal authorities say. Marc Muffley, 40, is charged with possessing an explosive in an airport and possessing or attempting to place an explosive or incendiary device on an...
Feds Say Felon Tried to Board
Plane With AR-15, Fake Badge
Feb 28, 2023 6:00 PM CST
Feds Say Felon Tried to Board Plane With AR-15, Fake Badge
Multiple weapons, including taser, were found in man's luggage at Newark airport
- A New Jersey man banned from owning weapons tried to bring several guns and fake US Marshal credentials on a flight to Florida at the end of last year, federal prosecutors say. Seretse Clouden, 42, faces multiple charges stemming from his attempt to board a flight from Newark Liberty International...
Have Ticket for
Flight. His Parents
Left Him Behind
Feb 1, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Tel Aviv police alerted to possible child abandonment Tuesday
- Airport staff see a lot of weird stuff . But staff at Israel's main airport in Tel Aviv say "we didn't believe what we were seeing" Tuesday as a couple—who'd purchased two tickets for a flight out of the country—ran off to catch their flight,...
British Airports Plan
to Drop Liquids Rule
Dec 15, 2022 1:00 PM CST
British Airports Plan to Drop Liquids Rule
Airports given June 2024 deadline to install high-tech new scanners
- Traveling through security at most UK airports will be a lot more convenient by June 2024, the British government has promised. As at airports in the US and many other countries, British airports currently require travelers to carry liquids and items like toothpaste in containers no bigger than 100 milliliters—...
TSA Takes Man's Laptop
Apart, Finds Knife
Nov 17, 2022 11:21 AM CST
TSA Takes Man's Laptop Apart, Finds Knife
Virginia passenger faces a 'stiff federal financial civil penalty'
- If you find that Transportation Security Administration agents are paying closer attention to your laptop the next time you fly, a man in Virginia could be to blame. The TSA says its officers found a knife "artfully concealed" inside a man's laptop at Richmond International Airport last Friday,...
TSA Calls 'Personal Fowl'
on Unusual Security Find
Nov 9, 2022 8:33 AM CST
TSA Calls 'Personal Fowl' on Unusual Security Find
Firearm discovered shoved inside a raw chicken at Florida's Fort Lauderdale airport
- Security officers at a South Florida airport have reported finding a handgun hidden inside a raw chicken packed in a traveler's luggage. The Transportation Security Administration posted photos of the gun and poultry Monday on its official Instagram account , per the AP . The weapon was recovered at the Fort...
Panicked Airport Evacuation
Apr 18, 2022 4:33 PM CDT
PlayStation Causes Panicked Airport Evacuation
Damaged console wasn't recognized in luggage X-ray
- Passengers didn't know the reason, but the instructions over the PA in Logan Airport were clear. "You have to exit, this is mandatory," they were told Sunday afternoon. The evacuation was quick but not orderly, NBC News reports. People left their belongings and began running for the...
Tourists Accused of Trying to
Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Feb 19, 2021 7:12 AM CST
Tourists Accused of Trying to Bribe Their Way Into Hawaii
Louisiana couple didn't have negative COVID tests
- If you're interested in visiting the Aloha State, you'll have to be OK with a 10-day quarantine when you first arrive, unless you've got COVID test results in hand confirming you tested negative within the past 72 hours. Two tourists allegedly thought they could get around those...
for Lawmakers' Travel
Jan 10, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Security Increases for Lawmakers' Travel
Members of Congress have been harassed in airports
- After supporters of President Trump harassed two senators at a Washington airport, security has been increased for members of Congress traveling to and from the capital. The stepped-up measures will be in effect through the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden on Jan. 20, Axios reports. Lawmakers were told of the...
Man Climbs Onto Wing of Plane
As it Prepares for Takeoff
Dec 13, 2020 6:15 AM CST
Man Climbs Onto Wing of Plane As it Prepares for Takeoff
Question is, how'd he get on there?
- Passengers aboard a flight out of McCarren International in Las Vegas were shocked Saturday to see a man stroll onto the wing of the plane just as it was about to take off. Per the
Las Vegas Review-Journal ,
Alaska Airlines flight 1367 was preparing to depart for Portland when pilots...
From 10 Flights Had
'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Oct 28, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Australia: Women From 10 Flights Had 'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Qatar is apologizing after search for abandoned newborn went awry
- A baby was born and abandoned at an airport in Doha, Qatar, and now officials are apologizing over their controversial attempt to find the mother amid the revelation that there may have been more women involved than initially reported. After a newborn girl was found Oct. 2 in a trash...
TSA Confiscated a Record
Number of Guns Last Year
Jan 21, 2020 6:58 PM CST
TSA Confiscated a Record Number of Guns Last Year
But what does it really mean?
- TSA found 4,432 firearms in passengers' carry-on baggage last year—its highest number ever. As Fox News points out, that's a dozen firearms per day, and 87% of those firearms were loaded. Thirty-four percent of them actually had rounds in the chamber. The total number confiscated is a...
'My Life Has Been Shattered'
Jan 18, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Ex-Congressman Sentenced: 'My Life Has Been Shattered'
Chris Collins, first in Congress to endorse Trump, gets 2-plus years for securities fraud, lying to FBI
- A former congressman who was one of President Donald Trump’s first supporters was sentenced Friday to two years and two months in federal prison after admitting he helped his son and others dodge $800,000 in stock market losses when he learned that a drug trial by a small...
Ghosn, Hidden in Box,
Exploited Airport Security Flaw
Jan 6, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Ghosn, Hidden in Box, Exploited Airport Security Flaw
There was no mandatory check on luggage for private planes
- Reports that Carlos Ghosn escaped Japan in a musical instrument box were pretty close to the truth. The former Nissan executive facing charges of financial wrongdoing hid in a large black box designed for concert equipment, with breathing holes poked in the bottom, reports the
Wall Street Journal
, citing sources...
Serial Stowaway Stopped
at O'Hare Checkpoint
Oct 13, 2019 11:19 AM CDT
Serial Stowaway Stopped at O'Hare Checkpoint
Marilyn Hartman faces felony trespassing charge
- A 67-year-old woman who regularly has tried to sneak onto airline flights is due in court Sunday after being arrested at O'Hare Airport in Chicago. Marilyn Hartman was taken into custody Friday night when trying to rearrange TSA lane dividers so she could sneak by a second checkpoint, officials...
a Note That's
Not Very Nice
Aug 17, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
TSA Guard Hands Traveler a Note That's Not Very Nice
Neal Strassner says he still doesn't understand why she did it
- TSA workers don't usually hand people notes, and this could be why. Neal Strassner was going through security at a New York airport in June when a screener handed him a note reading, "You ugly!!!" CCTV footage he later obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request...
Diana Ross Says She
Felt 'Violated' at Airport
May 6, 2019 1:39 AM CDT
Diana Ross Says She Felt 'Violated' at Airport
She can 'still feel' screener's hands
- Diana Ross says she felt "violated" by an airport screener who touched her between her legs after she performed at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. In a series of tweets on Sunday, the Motown legend says she blames the Transportation Security Administration for a screening at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.