Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
International Space Station
Stories 1 - 20 |
Strange Object in Space:
a Lost Tool Bag
Nov 13, 2023 11:26 AM CST
Strange Object in Space: a Lost Tool Bag
You may be able to spot it with a good pair of binoculars, near the International Space Station
- It may not be as exciting as spotting a comet in space, but it's definitely ... weirder. With a good pair of binoculars, you might be able to spot a tool bag lost by astronauts, reports Space.com . It seems that astronauts Jasmin Moghbeli and Loral O'Hara were doing...
Space Station Springs Another
Leak, Raising Concerns
Oct 10, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Space Station Springs Another Leak, Raising Concerns
This is the 3rd leak in a year on Russian segment of ISS
- For the third time in a year, the Russian segment of the International Space Station has sprung a coolant leak, adding to concerns about the country's space program. After the Russian space agency Roscosmos on Monday announced the leak from a backup radiator circuit, and flakes of frozen coolant...
After Their Ride Got
Hit by Space Junk,
3 Are Finally Home
Sep 27, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
After Their Ride Got Hit by Space Junk, 3 Are Finally Home
Astronaut Frank Rubio, 2 cosmonauts return after more than a year in space
- A NASA astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts returned to Earth on Wednesday after being stuck in space for just over a year. As the AP reports, American Frank Rubio set a record for the longest US spaceflight—a result of the extended stay. The trio landed in a remote area...
SpaceX Was at
Sep 4, 2023 5:49 AM CDT
SpaceX Was at Work Overnight
4 astronauts splash down off Florida in 'spectacular' middle-of-night capsule landing
- Four astronauts returned to Earth early Monday after a six-month stay at the International Space Station, reports the AP , with their SpaceX capsule parachuting into the Atlantic off the Florida coast. Returning were NASA astronauts Stephen Bowen and Warren "Woody" Hoburg, Russia's Andrei Fedyaev, and the United Arab...
Crew of 4 From 4 Countries
Heads to Space Station
Aug 26, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
Crew of 4 From 4 Countries Heads to Space Station
'We're a united team with a common mission'
- Four astronauts from four countries rocketed toward the International Space Station on Saturday. They should reach the orbiting lab in their SpaceX capsule Sunday, replacing four astronauts who have been living up there since March. A NASA astronaut was joined on the predawn liftoff from Kennedy Space Center by fliers...
Glitch Delays Crew's Arrival
at Space Station
Mar 3, 2023 4:32 AM CST
Glitch Delays Crew's Arrival at Space Station
US, Russian, Emirati crew had 'brief scenic detour'
- A new crew arrived at the International Space Station on Friday for a six-month mission after overcoming trouble with one of the capsule’s docking hooks. The SpaceX capsule and its four astronauts had to wait 65 feet from the orbiting lab, as flight controllers in California scrambled to come...
Russia Launches Rescue
Mission to Space Station
Feb 24, 2023 8:33 AM CST
Russia Launches Rescue Mission to Space Station
Sends up empty Soyuz to bring home astronaut, 2 cosmonauts after their ride home was damaged
- Russia launched a rescue ship on Friday for two cosmonauts and a NASA astronaut whose original ride home sprang a dangerous leak while parked at the International Space Station. As the AP reports, the new, empty Soyuz capsule should arrive at the orbiting lab on Sunday. The capsule leak in...
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule
for Astronauts on ISS
Jan 11, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Russia to Send Rescue Capsule for Astronauts on ISS
Damaged Soyuz means there's only one other 'escape pod,' with just 4 seats for 7 astronauts
- Last month, a Soyuz MS-22 capsule docked at the International Space Station sprang a tiny leak , suspected to be the result of a meteoroid hit. Although Roscosmos, Russia's space agency, said the astronaut and two cosmonauts who flew to the ISS in September in that capsule—American Frank Rubio...
For 2nd Time This Year,
ISS Dodges Space Junk
Oct 26, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
For 2nd Time This Year, ISS Dodges Space Junk
Debris is from Russian missile test that was condemned as 'reckless'
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station conducted a "pre-determined debris avoidance maneuver" Monday night to steer clear of a piece of space junk. Per NPR , the station fired its thrusters for five minutes and five seconds, increasing its altitude by 0.2 miles to 0.8 miles (depending on...
First Native American
Woman to Go to Space
Has Arrived at ISS
Oct 7, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
First Native American Woman to Go to Space Has Arrived at ISS
SpaceX launch also carried Russian cosmonaut
SpaceX on Thursday delivered a new crew to the International Space Station for a five-month stay, the AP reports. That includes Marine Col. Nicole Mann, the first Native American woman to travel to space; Anna Kikina, the first Russian cosmonaut to hitch a ride to space from NASA's...
Russia Taking Its Toys
and Leaving the Space Station
Jul 26, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Russia Taking Its Toys and Leaving the Space Station
Country's new space chief Yuri Borisov says 'the decision ... has been made'
- Russia will opt out of the International Space Station after 2024 and focus on building its own orbiting outpost , the country's newly appointed space chief said Tuesday. Yuri Borisov, who was appointed earlier this month to lead the state-controlled space corporation Roscosmos, said during a meeting with Russian President...
Makes It Home
May 20, 2022 3:08 AM CDT
Boeing's Starliner Makes It Home
'On a scale of one to 10, I think I’d give it a 15'
Boeing moved a giant step closer to being able to send astronauts to space on Wednesday with the successful return of its Starliner spacecraft—which had a spacesuit-clad mannequin aboard. After spending five days at the International Space Station, the spacecraft detached from its port and touched down in...
4 ISS Astronauts
Splash Down in
Gulf of Mexico
May 6, 2022 4:19 AM CDT
4 ISS Astronauts Splash Down in Gulf of Mexico
It's been a busy month for SpaceX service
- SpaceX brought four astronauts home with a midnight splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, capping the busiest month yet for Elon Musk’s taxi service. The three US astronauts and one German in the capsule were bobbing off the Florida coast, near Tampa, less than 24 hours after...
3 Blast Off for Space Station
Visit, Paying $55M Each
Apr 8, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
3 Blast Off for Space Station Visit, Paying $55M Each
SpaceX provides the ride for tourists shelling out big bucks to NASA
- SpaceX launched three rich businessmen and their astronaut escort to the International Space Station on Friday for more than a week’s stay, as NASA joins Russia in hosting guests at the world’s most expensive tourist destination. It’s SpaceX’s first private charter flight to the orbiting lab...
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by
Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Apr 6, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Mark Vande Hei says Russians weren't wearing yellow as statement on Ukraine during ISS arrival
- Last month, three Russian astronauts showed up at the International Space Station sporting bright yellow flight suits with blue accents—Ukraine's colors, leaving some wondering if the cosmonauts were making a statement on Russia's invasion of that country. Wonder no more, because that simply wasn't the case,...
Russia: Sanctions Imperil
Future of Space Station
Apr 2, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Russia: Sanctions Imperil Future of Space Station
US, other nations' agencies ignored a deadline for lifting penalties
- The head of Russia's space program said Saturday that the future of the International Space Station hangs in the balance after the US, the European Union, and Canadian space agencies missed a deadline to meet Russian demands for lifting sanctions on Russian enterprises and hardware. Dmitry Rogozin, the head...
Russian Astronauts Board
ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Mar 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Russian Astronauts Board ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Were they wearing Ukraine's colors on purpose, or was it a coincidence?
- For the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine last month, a trio of Russian astronauts arrived at the International Space Station. But when the ISS hatch opened to let them in, their appearance raised some eyebrows, reports Space.com . Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev, and Sergey Korsakov blasted off in their...
Space Station After
Mar 18, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Cosmonauts Reach Space Station After Russian Warning
NASA administrator plays down comment about supplying rocket engines
- A trio of Russian cosmonauts arrived at the International Space Station on Friday, the first new faces in space since the start of the Russian war in Ukraine. Russian space corporation Roscosmos cosmonauts Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev and Sergey Korsakov blasted off successfully from the Russia-leased Baikonur launch facility in...
International Space Station's
Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
Feb 1, 2022 1:56 PM CST
International Space Station's Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
NASA releases updated transition plan
- NASA on Tuesday provided an updated International Space Station transition plan —including what will happen when deorbit occurs in 2031. The report states that "based on the ISS structural health analysis performed to date, there is high confidence that ISS life can be further extended through 2030,"...
ISS About to
Open Doors to
a Rare Guest
Dec 8, 2021 6:21 AM CST
ISS About to Open Doors to a Rare Guest
Expect to hear from billionaire space tourist Yusaku Maezawa on YouTube, Twitter
- Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has been launched into space on what CNN calls “the first self-funded tourism mission to the International Space Station in a decade." "In total, seven self-funded individuals have visited the space station and Mr. Maezawa plans to be the 8th and the first...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.