Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and reports about ISIS on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle'
Sentenced in UK
Nov 13, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle' Sentenced in UK
Aine Davis was arrested at a UK airport after he finished a 7-year sentence in Turkey
- A man suspected of being the fourth member of the ISIS "Beatles" kidnap gang has been sentenced to eight years in prison in the UK for terror-related offenses. Aine Davis, 39, spent seven years in prison in Turkey for being a member of the extremist group and was arrested...
ISIS Is Now on Its
4th Leader Since Early 2022
Aug 4, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
ISIS Is Now on Its 4th Leader Since Early 2022
Group confirms another leader has been 'martyred'
- Leaders of the Islamic State group, aka ISIS, use "al-Qurayshi," the name of the Prophet Mohammed's tribe, as a nom de guerre—and the group is now on its fourth al-Qurayshi since early last year. The group's spokesman said in a recording on Telegram on Thursday...
Killed ISIS Leader
Jul 9, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
US: Harassed Drones Later Killed ISIS Leader
Usamah al-Muhajir was riding a motorcycle near Aleppo, official says
- A US drone strike killed an Islamic State group leader in Syria hours after the same MQ-9 Reaper drones were harassed by Russian military jets over the western part of the country, the Defense Department reported Sunday. Three Reapers had been flying overhead searching for the militant on Friday, a...
22 US Troops Injured
in Syria Helicopter 'Mishap'
Jun 13, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
22 US Troops Injured in Syria Helicopter 'Mishap'
Enemy fire was not involved, US military says
- A helicopter accident in northeastern Syria over the weekend left 22 American service members injured, the US military said Tuesday, adding that the cause of the accident was under investigation and that no enemy fire was involved. The military statement said the service members were receiving treatment and 10 were...
Taliban Kill Mastermind
of Kabul Airport Bombing
Apr 25, 2023 6:07 PM CDT
Taliban Kill Mastermind of Kabul Airport Bombing
2021 suicide bombing killed 13 US service members, 170 Afghans
- The Taliban have killed the senior Islamic State group leader behind the August 2021 suicide bombing outside the Kabul airport that left 13 US service members and about 170 Afghans dead, according to the father of a Marine killed in the attack who was briefed Tuesday by military officials. Over...
She Joined ISIS at 15,
Won't Get UK Citizenship Back
Feb 22, 2023 3:18 PM CST
She Joined ISIS at 15, Won't Get UK Citizenship Back
What losing her appeal means for Shamima Begum
- Though judges agreed Shamima Begum presented a believable case she was a victim of ISIS sex trafficking, a British court dismissed her appeal to get her UK citizenship back, barring the 23-year-old from returning home. The BBC quoted Begum's legal reps as stating her case is "nowhere...
ISIS Says Another
Leader Has Been Killed
Nov 30, 2022 1:35 PM CST
ISIS Says Another Leader Has Been Killed
Terror group is now on its third leader this year
- ISIS is now on its third leader of the year, according to a statement from the terror group's media affiliate. The group, also known as the Islamic State, said Abu al-Hassan al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi was "killed while struggling against the enemies of God," CNN reports. The group said...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
French Cement Company
Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Oct 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
French Cement Company Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Lafarge paid millions of dollars to militants in order to keep Syria plant open
- French cement company Lafarge pleaded guilty Tuesday to paying millions of dollars to the Islamic State group in exchange for permission to keep open a plant in Syria, a case the Justice Department described as the first of its kind. The company also agreed to penalties totaling roughly $778 million....
Another 'Beatle' Hears His
Fate Over ISIS Hostages
Aug 19, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Another 'Beatle' Hears His Fate Over ISIS Hostages
UK national El Shafee Elsheikh, aka the 'Ringo' of the group, gets life in prison
- British national El Shafee Elsheikh was sentenced to life in prison Friday for his role in an Islamic State scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners hostage a decade ago. Elsheikh's hostages gave him a somewhat whimsical nickname—he was dubbed a "Beatle," along with other English-accented...
Biden: Key Terrorist Has
Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Jul 12, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Biden: Key Terrorist Has Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Maher al-Agal was killed in drone strike
- The Pentagon said Tuesday that it killed a leader of the Islamic State group in Syria in a drone strike. US Central Command said in a news release that Maher al-Agal was killed Tuesday and an unidentified senior official in the Islamic State group was seriously injured. The Pentagon said...
Surviving Paris Attacker Gets
France's Toughest Sentence
Jun 29, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Surviving Paris Attacker Gets France's Toughest Sentence
Historic Bataclan trial ends with 20 guilty verdicts
This story has been updated with sentencing details
. The biggest trial in France's modern history has concluded after nearly 10 months, with all 20 defendants found guilty of charges related to the 2015 ISIS attack on the Bataclan theater and other Paris locations that killed 130 people. Salah Abdeslam...
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS
Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
May 24, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Operative reportedly filmed the former president's Dallas residence
and NBC News are out with stories asserting that the FBI foiled a recent ISIS plot to assassinate former President George W. Bush. The accounts are based on FBI search warrants and court documents unsealed in federal court in Ohio that include informants' details about the alleged scheme....
The Verdict Is In for
This ISIS 'Beatle'
Apr 29, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
The Verdict Is In for This ISIS 'Beatle'
El Shafee Elsheikh convicted for role in hostage-taking plot that left four Americans dead
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. In convicting El Shafee Elsheikh, the jury concluded he was one...
Lawmaker's Death Was an
'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Lawmaker's Death Was an 'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
ISIS supporter Ali Harbi Ali, 26, found guilty of stabbing UK lawmaker David Amess to death
- A jury deliberated for just 18 minutes Monday before finding a fervent Islamic State supporter guilty of stabbing lawmaker David Amess to death, a slaying that shocked the nation and sparked calls for increased police protection for politicians. Ali Harbi Ali, 26, was found guilty by London's Central Criminal...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
ISIS Leader Died Same Way
as His Predecessor
Feb 3, 2022 2:35 PM CST
ISIS Leader Died Same Way as His Predecessor
US says Abu Ibrahim al-Qurayshi deliberately blew himself up amid raid
- An overnight raid in Syria by US special-operations forces resulted in the death of the Islamic State's leader, but it wasn't American forces who killed Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi. The US says the ISIS commander detonated a bomb as the raid unfolded at his compound, deliberately blowing himself...
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There
Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Jan 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Siege on Gweiran Prison shines a light on the children's plight
- A distressing series of voice notes sent by an Australian teen from a prison in northeast Syria underscores the plight of thousands of forgotten children who remain trapped in detention facilities in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of minors (Human Rights Watch estimates 600 boys) are believed to be holed up...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.