Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
child dies in hot car
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 23, 2023 2:06 AM CDT
1-Year-Old Forgotten in Daycare Van Dies: Cops
Van driver has been charged in little girl's death
- A 1-year-old Nebraska girl was picked up along with two of her siblings for daycare Monday, but never made it back home. Police say Ra'Miyah Worthington was left inside the van after it arrived at Kidz of the Future Child Development Center II in Omaha, and was found there...
After Being Left
in Car Overnight
Jul 6, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
18-Month-Old Dies After Being Left in Car Overnight
Florida parents are charged with aggravated manslaughter
- A toddler died after her parents left her in a hot car overnight following a Fourth of July party in Florida, authorities said Thursday. The Polk County Sheriff's Office said Lakeland couple Joel and Jazmine Rondon have been charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child. Authorities said the Rondons...
It Was a Terrible Week
for Hot-Car Deaths
May 31, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
It Was a Terrible Week for Hot-Car Deaths
3 kids died in the space of a week—a significant spike over same period the year before
- Three children died in hot cars over the past week, pushing the number of such deaths in 2023 to double the number over the same time period in 2022, NBC News reports. ( This seminal 2009 article explains how such tragedies can happen accidentally, more easily than you might think....
Father Won't Be Retried in
Toddler's Death in a Hot Car
May 25, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Father Won't Be Retried in Toddler's Death in a Hot Car
Georgia court had thrown out conviction
- Prosecutors in Georgia said Thursday they will not retry a man whose murder conviction in the death of his 22-month-old son left in a hot car was overturned. The state Supreme Court's decision revolved around evidence that it said should not have been admitted in the trial. Because of...
of 2 Grandkids
in a Year
Apr 3, 2023 10:22 AM CDT
She's Charged After Deaths of 2 Grandkids in a Year
Florida's Tracey Nix faces charges after the most recent one, for leaving infant in hot car
- A Florida grandmother faces criminal charges after the death of a second grandchild in her care in less than a year. The woman is 65-year-old Tracey Nix of Hardee County, and Nix's own daughter wants to see her in prison, reports NBC News . The details are wrenching:
Cops: Grandpa Returned to Car
3 Times After Boy Died in Heat
Sep 22, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Cops: Grandpa Returned to Car 3 Times After Boy Died in Heat
Alabama man has been charged in toddler's death
- An Alabama grandfather who had been taking his grandson to daycare in the mornings as his daughter, the boy's mother, recovered from hip surgery apparently forgot to drop the 2-year-old off Tuesday, with unimaginable consequences. The toddler, Ian Wiesman, was found dead in his grandfather's truck later that...
Police: Child Intentionally
Left in Hot Car for 5 Hours
Sep 4, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Police: Child Intentionally Left in Hot Car for 5 Hours
The 1-year-old died, and his father has been charged
- A 1-year-old is dead after being left in a hot car in Ohio, and his father has been charged with his murder. CBS News reports Landon Parrot, 19, arrived at the Cleveland Clinic Union Hospital on Thursday with his unresponsive child. Police who arrived to question Parrot allege he gave...
On a Sweltering Texas Day,
Tragedy at Elementary School
Aug 27, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
On a Sweltering Texas Day, Tragedy at Elementary School
Boy, 5, dies after being pulled out of hot car in Hidalgo County, Texas
- Temps in Hidalgo County, Texas, broke the 100-degree mark on Thursday, with a humidity-exacerbated heat index of 105. Those weather conditions contributed to a tragedy outside of a Mission elementary school, where a 5-year-old boy died after being found inside a hot car. Raul Gonzalez, police chief for the La...
Boy Dies in Hot Car
Jul 12, 2022 7:19 PM CDT
3-Year-Old Florida Boy Dies in Hot Car
It's the first such incident in Florida this year and the 11th in the country
- A three-year-old Florida boy died Monday after his father left him in a car for up to six hours, per the
It happened outside Lubavitch Educational Center in Miami Gardens. Several of the boy’s siblings attend the same school, and both his parents are teachers there. It...
in Hot Car
Is at Work
Jul 3, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
Georgia woman says she forgot she hadn't taken 1-year-old to day care
- A 1-year-old died after being left in a car parked outside a Georgia drugstore while the mother worked inside, the second death of a child in a hot car in Georgia in a week. The Madison County sheriff said the unidentified child was left in the car for three to...
After Fatally Forgetting
His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
Jun 29, 2022 12:47 AM CDT
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
18-month-old was never dropped off at his Virginia daycare
- Police say a father in Chesterfield County, Va., took his own life shortly after realizing he'd left his 18-month-old son in his car Tuesday and the child died. At some point in the morning, the man realized he'd left the boy in the car and brought him inside...
Boy, 3, Dies After Grandma
Forgets He Was in Car
Jun 28, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
Boy, 3, Dies After Grandma Forgets He Was in Car
Kendrick Engram Jr. was in hot car for nearly 3 hours
- In yet another tragic hot car death, a 3-year-old boy died in the back of a hot SUV in Georgia after his grandmother forgot to take him out of the vehicle. Authorities say the grandmother had been out with Kendrick Engram Jr. and several other children and didn't take...
Cops: Boy Died in Hot Car
While Mom Prepared
Jun 21, 2022 6:11 PM CDT
Cops: Boy Died in Hot Car While Mom Prepared Sister's Party
Police say Texas boy was left in car for 2 to 3 hours
- A 5-year-old Houston-area boy died in a hot car while his mother was busy preparing his 8-year-old sister's birthday party, police say. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez says the woman took the two children to a store while getting ready for the party Monday and left the boy behind...
Cops: As He Was Arrested,
His Baby Died in His Car
May 5, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Cops: As He Was Arrested, His Baby Died in His Car
Davied Japez McCorry Whatley allegedly failed to inform police the 8-month-old was in car
- Davied Japez McCorry Whatley went to the Snellville Police Department on Tuesday afternoon to pick up a gun police had in their possession. Upon running the standard background check before releasing the firearm to him, police discovered there was a warrant out for the Georgia 20-year-old's arrest for probation...
Sheriff Shares Outcome of
Probe Into Twins' Hot-Car Death
Sep 21, 2021 6:26 PM CDT
Sheriff Shares Outcome of Probe Into Twins' Hot-Car Death
Dad will not be charged
After an "intense investigation," police say they will not charge the man who accidentally left his 20-month-old identical twins in a hot car for more than 9 hours on Sept. 1; the two died of heat stroke. At a Tuesday news conference, Sheriff Leon Lott described the...
Cops: Dad Wouldn't Let Us
Break Window to Save Toddler
Oct 8, 2020 2:15 AM CDT
Cops: Dad Wouldn't Let Us Break Window to Save Toddler
1-year-old died in hot car
- A 27-year-old Nevada man is charged with refusing to allow his car windows to be broken when his 1-year-old daughter was locked inside—leading to the toddler's death. Officers say that on Monday afternoon Sidney Deal got in a fight with his girlfriend, who asked him and his daughter...
Brothers, 3 and 1, Die After
Climbing Into Car on Own
Aug 17, 2020 4:20 AM CDT
Brothers, 3 and 1, Die After Climbing Into Car on Own
Hot car tragedy strikes in Alabama
- Unimaginable tragedy struck in Alabama on Saturday, where two brothers, ages 3 and 1, died in a hot car that they climbed into themselves,
reports. The boys' parents told authorities they thought the toddlers were playing in their bedrooms, but following a frantic search after being unable to...
Dad Leaves Toddler Twins
in Hot Minivan for 3.5 Hours
Sep 29, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Dad Leaves Toddler Twins in Hot Minivan for 3.5 Hours
The tragedy unfolded at a Honda dealership in Alabama
- In another hot-car tragedy, an Alabama father left his 11-month old twins in a minivan for nearly 3 1/2 hours—and the result was not good, AL.com reports. Police officers and firefighters responded to his 911 call Friday at the Honda dealership in Oxford where he works. "He...
A Tragic Past for Parents of
Toddler Who Died in Hot Car
Sep 23, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
A Tragic Past for Parents of Toddler Who Died in Hot Car
'Miracle baby' Zariah Hasheme's mother had 6 previous miscarriages
- Demi Petrowski had six miscarriages before a "miracle baby" arrived for her and her husband, Zachary Hasheme: daughter Zariah. Now the New Mexico couple is mourning their only child after a babysitter allegedly left the 2-year-old in a hot car. Police in Hobbs say 41-year-old Tammie Brooks was tasked...
Wife Pleads for Mercy
for Husband After
Twins' Hot-Car Deaths
Jul 29, 2019 7:14 AM CDT
Wife Pleads for Mercy for Husband After Twins' Hot-Car Deaths
Marissa Rodriguez: Husband Juan Rodriguez is 'great father,' babies' deaths a 'horrific accident'
- The mother of the twin babies who died in a hot car in the Bronx on Friday says she's living her "absolute worst nightmare"—but she's sticking by her husband, calling the deaths of little Mariza and Phoenix a "horrific accident." "Though I...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.