Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wife of Ukraine Spy Chief
Nov 28, 2023 12:42 PM CST
Wife of Ukraine Spy Chief Is Poisoned
Marianna Budanova is recovering, as suspicions turn to Russia
- The wife of Ukraine's spymaster was poisoned with heavy metals and is now recovering in the hospital, say Ukrainian officials. Marianna Budanova, a psychologist, is the wife of Kyrylo Budanov, who heads the GUR military intelligence agency, reports Reuters . Russia has a long history of poisoning its enemies , per...
Drone Attack Targets Kyiv
for More Than 6 Hours
Nov 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Drone Attack Targets Kyiv for More Than 6 Hours
Officials say it was biggest drone attack since war began
- Russia on Saturday morning launched its most intense drone attack on Ukraine since the beginning of its full-scale invasion in 2022, targeting the capital city for over six hours, military officials said. "Kyiv was the main target," Ukrainian Air Force Commander Mykola Oleshchuk wrote on his Telegram channel....
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched
Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Nov 24, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials say Russia has upped its attempts to overtake city of Avdiivka
- Ukraine launched one of the biggest drone attacks on the Moscow-annexed Crimean Peninsula since the full-scale war that started with Russia's invasion 21 months ago, Russian officials said Friday. They didn't mention any casualties or damage. At the same time, Ukrainian officials reported that the Kremlin's forces...
North Korea Gets Some Russian
Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Nov 21, 2023 7:48 AM CST
North Korea Gets Some Russian Help in Latest Rocket Launch
Another rocket launch after 2 failures, ostensibly to deploy a spy satellite
- North Korea has launched a rocket in what may be its third attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit, according to South Korea's military. A rocket was launched late Tuesday, the military in Seoul said, but no further details were immediately available, reports the AP . In North Korea'...
on 'Wanted' List
Nov 20, 2023 11:20 AM CST
Russia Puts Ukrainian 2016 Eurovision Winner on 'Wanted' List
Moscow charges Jamala with violating law against spreading fake information about war in Ukraine
- Russia has placed a Ukrainian singer who won the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest on its "wanted" list, state news agencies reported Monday. The reports said an Interior Ministry database listed singer Susana Jamaladinova as being sought for violating a criminal law, reports the AP . The independent news site Mediazona,...
Ukrainian Orphan Taken to
Russia Returns Home to Family
Nov 19, 2023 12:10 PM CST
Ukrainian Orphan Taken to Russia Returns Home to Family
Thousands of children have been removed from occupied regions
- An orphaned Ukrainian teenager who was taken to Russia last year during the war in his country returned home after being reunited with relatives in Belarus on his 18th birthday Sunday. Bohdan Yermokhin was pictured embracing family members in Minsk in photographs shared on social media by Russia's children'...
a Crucial River.
A 'Fiery Hell' Awaits
Nov 15, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Ukraine Crossed a Crucial River. A 'Fiery Hell' Awaits
Ukrainian forces have made it to the eastern bank of the Dnipro
- Last month the
New York Times
reported on a seeming change in Ukraine's war strategy: Ukrainian forces had started crossing the Dnipro River to carry out raids on its Russian-controlled eastern bank, leading to speculation "that Kyiv might be planning a more ambitious effort to open a new...
to Hit Kyiv
Nov 11, 2023 9:00 AM CST
Ukraine Officials: Russia Tried to Hit Kyiv With Missile
Local officials say ballistic missile, first one in nearly 2 months in nation's capital, was shot down
- Russian forces targeted Ukraine's capital, Kyiv, as part of an overnight bombardment felt across the country, local officials said Saturday, while drones that Russian officials blamed on the Ukrainian military targeted areas around Moscow and the Russian region of Smolensk. A ballistic missile was shot down as it approached...
Booby-Trapped Gift Kills
Ukraine Major on His Birthday
Nov 7, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Booby-Trapped Gift Kills Ukraine Major on His Birthday
Major Gennadiy Chastiakov was an adviser to the army's commander
- A booby-trapped birthday gift killed a close adviser of the Ukrainian army's commander-in-chief, the military commander announced Monday. "Under tragic circumstances, my assistant and close friend, Major Gennadiy Chastiakov, was killed … on his birthday," Gen Valery Zaluzhny posted on Telegram. An "unknown explosive device detonated...
House Approves Taking Money
From IRS, Sending It to Israel
Nov 2, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
House Approves Taking Money From IRS, Sending It to Israel
Biden, Senate Democrats say they won't approve splitting off funding for Ukraine
- The Republican-run House approved $14 billion in emergency assistance for Israel on Thursday, but it has strings attached that President Biden and Senate leaders say they won't accept. The bill would cut about the same amount of funding from the Internal Revenue Service, the
reports. And the...
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in
Single Day Is a 2023 Record
Nov 2, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in Single Day Is a 2023 Record
In just 24 hours, 118 settlements in 10 of the nation's regions were bombarded: interior minister
- This week, Ukraine saw more than 100 of its settlements attacked by Russia over a one-day span—the most in that time period since the war between the two nations started in February 2022. "Over the last 24 hours, the enemy shelled 118 settlements in 10 regions," Ihor...
Could Hit You at the Gas Pump
Oct 30, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Israel-Hamas War Could Hit You at the Gas Pump
If the war escalates, oil prices will shoot up, which means food prices will, as well
- The World Bank reported on Monday that oil prices could be pushed into "uncharted waters" if the violence between Israel and Hamas widens, which the AP reports could result in increased food prices worldwide. The World Bank's Commodity Markets Outlook found that while the effects on oil prices...
US: Russian Soldiers Are Being
Executed for Disobeying Orders
Oct 26, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
US: Russian Soldiers Are Being Executed for Disobeying Orders
Ukraine reports enemy units in offensive have mutinied rather than attack positions in east
- A White House official said Thursday that the Russian military is executing its soldiers who don't follow orders in the offensive in eastern Ukraine. "We also have information that Russian commanders are threatening to execute entire units if they seek to retreat from Ukrainian artillery fire," said...
How Biden's $105B Request
for War Aid Breaks Down
Oct 19, 2023 7:29 PM CDT
How Biden's $105B Request for War Aid Breaks Down
About $75B would be military assistance of Israel and Ukraine
- President Biden addressed the nation in prime time Thursday to make his case for the US to provide more money and assistance to both Israel and Ukraine in their respective wars. He drew a comparison between Vladimir Putin's actions and those of Hamas, and said both conflicts have relevance...
Biden Plans Address
to US on Both Wars
Oct 18, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
Biden Plans Address to US on Both Wars
President to speak from Oval Office after return from Israel
- President Biden plans to address the nation from the Oval Office on Thursday night about the newly declared Israel-Hamas war and the ongoing one in Ukraine, which is fighting a Russian invasion. Biden was in Israel on Wednesday, and the speech was announced by White House aides before his plane...
US Can Help Two Allies
at Once, Yellen Says
Oct 16, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
US Can Help Two Allies at Once, Yellen Says
Biden plans to send combined aid package to Congress
- Congress is about to receive a presidential request to approve a package combining aid to two allies embroiled in wars, the
New York Times
reports. President Biden "has made clear that he is going to go to Congress with a package of funding for Ukraine as well as continued...
Russian Official Reported
for Remark About Invasion
Oct 15, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Russian Official Reported for Remark About Invasion
Governor said military wasn't prepared for the war, saying, 'We don't need it'
- A Russian governor was accused by critics on Sunday of "discrediting Russia's armed forces" after telling residents in her region that the country had no need for its war in Ukraine. Natalya Komarova, the governor of the Khanty-Mansiysk region and a member of President Vladimir Putin's governing...
on City Assault:
'The Enemy Has
Oct 14, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Ukraine Official on City Assault: 'The Enemy Has Not Stopped'
Eastern city of Avdiivka continues to get pummeled by Russian forces for 5th day straight
- Ukrainian officials reported intense combat, characterized by relentless assaults by Russian forces, as the ongoing attack on the eastern Ukrainian city of Avdiivka entered its fifth consecutive day on Saturday. "The enemy has not stopped either assaulting or shelling positions" around Avdiivka, city head Vitalii Barabash said on Ukrainian...
At Least 48 Dead in
'Brutal Russian Crime'
Oct 5, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
At Least 48 Dead in 'Brutal Russian Crime'
Ukrainian officials say attack hit cafe, shop in village
- Ukrainian officials said Thursday a Russian attack on a village in the northeast of the country killed at least 48 people and injured at least six more. Presidential chief of staff Andrii Yermak and Kharkiv Gov. Oleh Syniehubov said Russian forces shelled a shop and a cafe in the village...
Journo Whose Protests
Oct 4, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Russia Sentences Journo Whose Protests Made Headlines
Marina Ovsyannikova was sentenced in absentia for criticizing the Russian army
- A Moscow court on Wednesday sentenced a former state TV journalist to 8 1/2 years in prison in absentia for protesting Russia's war in Ukraine, reports the AP , the latest in a crackdown on dissent that has intensified since the invasion began nearly 20 months ago. Marina Ovsyannikova was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.