Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Least 12 Injured in
'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Nov 16, 2022 12:21 PM CST
At Least 12 Injured in 'Catastrophic' Condo Explosion
Fire chief says residents smelled gas before Maryland blast
- At least a dozen people were injured, two of them critically, in what a fire service spokesman says was a "catastrophic explosion" and fire at a condominium complex in Gaithersburg, Maryland, Wednesday morning. Officials say two injured adults were rushed to a trauma center with critical injuries; eight others,...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
Congress Gets Its
First Gen Z Member
Nov 8, 2022 8:54 PM CST
Congress Gets Its First Gen Z Member
25-year-old Maxwell Frost cruised to victory in Florida
- In Congress, Maxwell Frost is going to be the voice of his generation. The 25-year-old Democrat cruised to victory over 51-year-old Republican Calvin Wimbish in Florida's reliably blue Orlando-area 10th District and will be the first member of Generation Z in Congress, BuzzFeed reports. Frost, who will also be...
First US Tax
Oct 17, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Judge Blocks First US Tax on Digital Advertising
Maryland law also is being opposed in federal court
- The nation's first tax on digital advertising was struck down as unconstitutional by a Maryland judge on Monday. It's a law that attorneys for Big Tech have contended unfairly targets companies like Facebook, Google, and Amazon in a separate federal case against the same law, the AP reports....
All Charges Dropped
Against Adnan Syed
Oct 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Adnan Syed
There will be no retrial for 'Serial' star, who served 23 years for ex Hae Min Lee's murder
- After Adnan Syed's murder conviction was overturned , Sarah Koenig, the one-time host of the
podcast that made his case famous, noted the chance of him facing a retrial was slim . Now it's zero, according to TMZ . The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office on Tuesday dropped...
Oct 3, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
An Unwanted and Inhospitable Lighthouse Finally Sells
Hooper Island Lighthouse went for way more than the starting price
- The federal government has sold off a rather inhospitable lighthouse in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay for a six-figure sum after a bidding war at auction. The Hooper Island Lighthouse, located west of Middle Hooper Island in Maryland's Dorchester County, at first drew little interest, reported the
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed'
Family Files an Appeal
Sep 30, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hae Min Lee's 'Disappointed' Family Files an Appeal
Her brother says hearing that set subject of 'Serial' podcast free wasn't conducted properly
- Adnan Syed, convicted and imprisoned for more than two decades after his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, was murdered in 1999, "couldn't believe" his conviction was overturned earlier this month. Neither could Lee's brother, Young Lee, and he's now appealing the decision of Baltimore Circuit Court Judge...
Suit: She Gave Birth on
Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Sep 28, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Suit: She Gave Birth on Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Jazmin Valentine alleges she was ignored during her 6-hour labor
- A woman who said she was left to give birth to her baby alone on the dirty, concrete floor of her jail cell in Maryland filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday alleging that jail nurses ignored her screams and pleas for help for six hours. Jazmin Valentine alleges some nurses working...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
50 Years After
Murder, a Confession
Sep 8, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
50 Years After Deputy Sheriff's Murder, a Confession
Man interviewed decades ago admits to fatal 1971 shooting: police
- A man has reportedly confessed to the murder of a Maryland deputy sheriff that has remained unsolved for a half-century. Larry David Smith, who formerly went by Larry David Becker, admitted to fatally shooting Montgomery County Special Deputy Sheriff Capt. James Tappen Hall in 1971 in what became the police...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit'
Got Out of Jail, Began
Robbing Banks Again
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit' Got Out of Jail, Began Robbing Banks Again
Steven Gregory Gass didn't learn his lesson in prison the first time around, say Maryland police
- The "Old Man Bandit" has been arrested after trying to rob a Maryland bank—one of dozens he's targeted over a criminal career spanning 45 years, according to police. Montgomery County Police say Steven Gregory Gass, 67—who served more than eight years in prison in Florida after...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
in Closely Watched
Jul 23, 2022 2:25 AM CDT
Here's the Democrat Winner in Closely Watched Maryland Race
Wes Moore will run against Dan Cox for governor
Bestselling author Wes Moore won the Democratic primary for Maryland governor, it was announced Friday, setting up a general election contest against Republican Dan Cox, a hard-line conservative endorsed by former President Donald Trump. Moore, the author of the book
The Other Wes Moore
and the former CEO of...
Jul 17, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Governor's Race in Maryland Has Democrats' Attention
GOP's Larry Hogan can't run again, providing Democrats one of few opportunities to gain a flip
- One of the best opportunities for Democrats to regain a governor’s office this year is in Maryland, and the race to succeed term-limited Republican Larry Hogan has drawn a crowd of candidates. Winning back the seat shouldn't seem so tough for Democrats in a state where they outnumber...
Cops: Suspect in Md. Mass
Shooting Worked at Plant
Jun 11, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Cops: Suspect in Md. Mass Shooting Worked at Plant
Joe Louis Esquivel, 23, of W. Va. charged with first-degree murder after 3 co-workers were fatally shot
A suspect has been charged in a mass shooting that left three people dead at a manufacturing plant where he worked in Smithsburg, Md. In a Friday statement , the Washington County Sheriff's Department reported that 23-year-old Joe Louis Esquivel of West Virginia was hit with three counts of...
Armed Man Arrested Near
Brett Kavanaugh's Home
Jun 8, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Armed Man Arrested Near Brett Kavanaugh's Home
Authorities say he'd been making threats against the Supreme Court justice
- Police in Maryland arrested an armed man near the home of Brett Kavanaugh, and they say he told officers he wanted to kill the Supreme Court justice, reports the
. The suspect hasn't been identified and has been described only as a man in his 20s from California....
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer
of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
Jun 2, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
City alleges Polymer80 'profit[s] from destroying our communities'
- The city of Baltimore has joined Los Angeles and Washington, DC, in suing one of the nation's largest manufacturers of untraceable ghost guns , labeling the weapons without serial numbers a "devastating menace" to residents and Americans at large. Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott announced the lawsuit against Polymer80, Inc....
Cause of Death Determined for
Guy Who Lived With 124 Snakes
Apr 14, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Cause of Death Determined for Guy Who Lived With 124 Snakes
Maryland man died of accidental snake envenomation
The cause of death has been determined for the Maryland man found dead amid the 124 snakes he kept as pets in his home. David Riston died of “snake envenomation,” per the state medical examiner’s office, which ruled the 49-year-old's death accidental, NBC News reports....
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship
Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Apr 6, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Officials now say they'll start taking hundreds of containers off the Ever Forward to break it loose
The Ever Given was stuck in the Suez Canal for a week. A similar ordeal for the Ever Forward, also owned by Evergreen Marine Corp., in the Chesapeake Bay has lasted a lot longer than that, and officials are now shifting strategy to get that vessel unstuck. The
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.