Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Joins an Exclusive Club
Dec 1, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Pittsburgh Goalie Joins an Exclusive Club
Tristan Jarry becomes only the 14th NHL goaltender to score a goal
- Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry had an unusual stats line Thursday night: 39 saves on 41 shots—and one goal scored. Yes, Jarry became only the 14th goaltender in NHL history to score a goal as he launched a puck into Tampa Bay's empty net with about a minute...
Teen NHL Star Nabs
a 1944 Milestone
Nov 10, 2023 9:34 AM CST
Teen NHL Star Nabs a 1944 Milestone
18-year-old Connor Bedard is the youngest player to score 4 points in a game in decades
- The youngest player in the NHL didn't play like it on Thursday night: Connor Bedard had a four-point night for the Chicago Blackhawks, making him the youngest player to achieve that feat since 1944, reports NBC Chicago . The 18-year-old had two goals and two assists in Chicago's 5-3...
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
Oct 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Skate Cut Kills Ex-NHL Player
UK Team, Pittsburgh Penguins mourn Adam Johnson
- Adam Johnson, who played briefly in the NHL, was killed Saturday when the blade of a skate cut his neck during a game in England. The 29-year-old American was playing for the Nottingham Panthers in a Challenge Cup game against the Steelers, the BBC reports. The Panthers issued a statement...
NHL Abandons Rule Against
Pride Tape on Players' Sticks
Oct 26, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
NHL Abandons Rule Against Pride Tape on Players' Sticks
Travis Dermott defied new prohibition and apparently planned to do it again
- Facing one instance of noncompliance and the possibility of more, the NHL has dropped its prohibition on players displaying Pride Tape on their sticks. "Players will now have the option to voluntarily represent social causes with their stick tape throughout the season," a league statement issued Tuesday read....
Oct 26, 2023 12:53 PM CDT
NHL Suspends Player Over Gambling
Ottawa's Shane Pinto did not wager on hockey games, the league says
- The NHL suspended Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto for 41 games on Thursday, making the 22-year-old American the first modern-day player banned for sports gambling. The league said that the half-season ban was for "activities relating to sports wagering" and that its investigation found no evidence Pinto bet on...
May Be 'Starstruck,'
Oct 10, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Hockey's New Phenom May Be 'Starstruck,' Briefly
Connor Bedard, under big pressure with Chicago, debuts against Sidney Crosby of the Penguins
- The NHL season begins Tuesday, and one game in particular is especially fitting: The Chicago Blackhawks play the Pittsburgh Penguins. Chicago has an 18-year-old named Connor Bedard making his NHL debut, and the teen is heralded as a generational player on par with superstar Sidney Crosby of the Penguins, who'...
His Fights Are Legendary.
How Did That Leave His Brain?
Oct 1, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
His Fights Are Legendary. How Did That Leave His Brain?
When it comes to CTE research, Chris Nilan could end up being a fascinating subject
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, can only be diagnosed after death, and that diagnosis has been made hundreds of times among former football and hockey players who have suffered repeated blows to the head. Boston University's CTE center is now running a study on living subjects who might be...
Is Out Amid
Sep 18, 2023 2:38 AM CDT
NHL Coach Is Out Amid Player Privacy Controversy
Mike Babcock resigns before coaching a single game for Columbus Blue Jackets
- A strange privacy scandal has ended Mike Babcock's time as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets almost as soon as it began. Babcock, 60, resigned Sunday, three days before the opening of training camp and before he'd even had a chance to coach a single hockey game...
A Legend of Hockey
Jun 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
A Legend of Hockey Had CTE
Montreal Canadiens great Henri Richard is diagnosed posthumously
- The late Henri Richard is a hockey Hall of Famer who has a record 11 Stanley Cups on his resume and, now, a more troubling legacy: The Montreal Canadiens star had chronic traumatic encephalopathy when he died in 2020 at age 84, according to the Concussion Legacy Foundation Canada, per...
Vegas Golden Knights
Capture First Stanley Cup
Jun 14, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Vegas Golden Knights Capture First Stanley Cup
Young franchise takes hockey title for first time
- Golden Knights games have always been as flashy as any show on the Las Vegas Strip, the sword-fighting mascot taking the ice before what seems like a legion of players marching out through the mirrored entrance into the roar of the crowd. If this team was ever going to win...
A Weird Thing
in NBA, NHL
May 23, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
A Weird Thing Is Unfolding in NBA, NHL Playoffs
A possibility of four sweeps is possible, as LeBron James floats idea of retirement
- The Lakers are out of the NBA playoffs, and LeBron James is talking retirement as a result. After the Denver Nuggets swept Los Angeles in four games in the Western Conference finals, James told reporters Monday night that he is considering retirement after 20 years, reports CNN . “We’ll...
This Goal Ended 6th-Longest
Game in NHL History
May 19, 2023 8:01 AM CDT
This Goal Ended 6th-Longest Game in NHL History
Florida beats Carolina near the end of the fourth overtime
- The Florida Panthers continued their improbable run in the NHL playoffs with a marathon victory for the record books Thursday night, or, more precisely, Friday morning. Matthew Tkachuk scored with 12.7 seconds left in the fourth overtime, meaning the teams played two full games and then some, a total...
May 14, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Lethal News for NHL's 'Enforcers'
On average, former players known for getting into numerous brawls died a decade earlier than peers
- Recent research shows that fighting at NHL games, "once considered an integral part of professional hockey," has plummeted over the past two decades. Seems like that might be a good thing down the line, at least according to a new study, which finds that ex-players who were...
He's 17. NHL Team
Just Sold $2.5M in
Tickets in 2 Hours
Thanks to Him
May 9, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
He's 17. NHL Team Just Sold $2.5M in Tickets in 2 Hours Thanks to Him
NHL's Blackhawks win draft lottery, aka the 'Connor Bedard sweepstakes'
- The Chicago Blackhawks on Monday night won the right to pick first in the next NHL draft. In some years, that might not mean much. This is not one of those years, thanks to a 17-year-old phenom named Connor Bedard. To provide a sense, the Blackhawks sold $2.5 million...
'Nobody in the Whole World
Thought We Were Going to Win'
May 1, 2023 6:39 AM CDT
'Nobody in the Whole World Thought We Were Going to Win'
Florida stuns the record-setting Boston Bruins by ousting them from the playoffs
- "Let’s be honest: Nobody in the whole world thought we were going to win that series," says Matt Tkachuk of the Florida Panthers. His team pulled off a stunning NHL upset Sunday night by ousting the mighty Boston Bruins in overtime of Game 7, reports
NHL's Pride Night
for First Time
Apr 7, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
NHL's Pride Night Hits Resistance for First Time
League to reconsider its handling of the event after seven players sit it out
- Sports leagues and teams often use Pride nights to raise the visibility and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people—as well as sell them tickets—and the NHL has been a leader. They can include special jerseys designed by LGBTQ+ artists, performances, information tables, even drag performances. And they're largely a...
Seattle Band, Team Disagree
on Reason for Cancellations
Feb 1, 2023 4:51 PM CST
Seattle Band, Team Disagree on Reason for Cancellations
Musicians say it was the lyrics knocking Bezos, while Kraken blames drinking
- A Seattle band says singing about Jeff Bezos being "a total jerk" ended the group's three-game residency early at the city's NHL arena, for which Amazon owns the naming rights. The Kraken suggested the group's drinking and unprofessional behavior were the problem, the
Fans Stood When Bobby Hull
Wound Up for a Slap Shot
Jan 30, 2023 4:54 PM CST
Fans Stood When Bobby Hull Wound Up for a Slap Shot
NHL Hall of Famer scored 610 times in NHL
- Bobby Hull, a Hall of Fame winger and two-time NHL MVP who helped the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 1961, has died. He was 84. The Blackhawks and the NHL Alumni Association announced Hull's death on Monday, the AP reports. There were no further details provided by...
NHL Star Blasts
Trudeau on Gun Bill
Dec 6, 2022 1:05 PM CST
NHL Star Blasts Trudeau on Gun Bill
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price calls PM 'unjust': 'I am not a criminal or a threat to society'
- Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, and after the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia—the country's deadliest mass shooting ever, with 22 fatally shot—Bill C-21 came into existence. It seeks to ban the purchase and import of handguns and "assault-style" guns across the...
Mocks Him, NHL
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2022 11:55 AM CST
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Pat Maroon donates to a mental health charity, encourages others to do the same
- When a TV broadcaster mocked an NHL's player's weight, the player fired back on Twitter—but maybe not in the way you'd expect. Pat Maroon of the Tampa Bay Lightning donated to a mental health charity in the broadcaster's name and encouraged others to do the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.