Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
by Data Breach
Jan 4, 2019 12:04 PM CST
Merkel, German Politicians Hit by Data Breach
Addresses, phone numbers shared via Twitter on Friday
- Personal data and documents on hundreds of German politicians and others have been posted online, and German cyber-defense experts were trying to figure out Friday how the information was obtained, per the AP . The data breach hit politicians at all levels—including the European, German, and state parliaments as well...
Man Gets Creepy
in case you missed it
Dec 22, 2018 11:05 AM CST
Man Gets Creepy 'Wake-Up Call' From His Security Camera
Voice claiming to be 'white hat' hacker came out of Arizona man's Nest Cam IQ camera
- When your security camera makes you feel
secure, there might be a problem. Especially when a voice emanating from the other end claims to be a "white hat hacker" from the "Anonymous Calgary Hivemind." That's what Andy Gregg tells the
happened a few...
Clue in Marriott Breach:
'Patience' of the Hackers
Dec 6, 2018 8:36 AM CST
Clue in Marriott Breach: 'Patience' of the Hackers
Sources say signs point to breach being an intel-gathering operation for Chinese government
- Up to 500 million customers may have had their personal info compromised in a huge Marriott data breach , and investigators are now coming across clues as to who may be behind the hack. Sources tell Reuters that digital fingerprints—i.e., previously used "hacking tools, techniques, and procedures"—...
Massive Data Breach
Nov 30, 2018 7:26 AM CST
Marriott Reveals Massive Data Breach
Information on 500M Starwood customers is exposed
- Bad news for anyone who has stayed at a Starwood brand hotel, which includes big names like Westin and Sheraton, in the last few years: Hackers may have your data, including credit card information. Marriott said Friday that up to 500 million customers under its Starwood Hotel umbrella have been...
New Facebook Breach:
50M Users Affected
Sep 28, 2018 1:25 PM CDT
New Facebook Breach: 50M Users Affected
It involves the 'View As' feature
- About half of Americans in 2016 didn't trust social media sites to keep safe tabs on their data. The Pew Research Center reposted that fact Friday with the latest Facebook news: The site has discovered a breach that affected about 50 million users, reports the
New York Times .
Amazon: Workers Taking
Bribes From Desperate Sellers
Sep 17, 2018 8:12 AM CDT
Amazon: Workers Taking Bribes From Desperate Sellers
Amazon employees, mainly in China, are offering data in exchange for money, sources say
- To best hawk a product on Amazon, third-party sellers hope for a coveted spot on the site's first page of search results, a ranking that's boosted by positive reviews. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
those rankings could be affected by "illicit transactions" between sellers and Amazon...
Librarian Wins Lawsuit Against
Equifax After Huge Data Breach
Jun 14, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Librarian Wins Lawsuit Against Equifax After Huge Data Breach
The largely symbolic suit won Vermont librarian Jessamyn West $600
- A Vermont librarian who sued consumer credit bureau giant Equifax following a massive 2017 breach of private data has been awarded $600. The largely symbolic suit by Jessamyn West was her way of showing people they have the power to arm themselves in the fight for data security, even when...
After Initial Denial, Equifax Says
Passport Photos Were Stolen
May 10, 2018 2:04 PM CDT
After Initial Denial, Equifax Says Passport Photos Were Stolen
3.2K passport pictures, to be exact
- Equifax is now acknowledging that a relatively small number of passport images and information were stolen as part of last year's security breach, despite previously denying such a thing occurred, reports the AP . The credit monitoring company said 3,200 passport images were stolen last year, according to a...
Security Breach Hits
Delta, Sears Customers
Apr 6, 2018 12:07 AM CDT
Security Breach Hits Delta, Sears Customers
Malware exposed customers' credit card details
- Delta Air Lines' payment-card information for about "several hundred thousand" airline customers may have been exposed by a malware breach last fall that also hit Sears and other companies. The airline says that the malware attack may have exposed customers' names, addresses, credit card numbers, card security codes, and...
Researcher Spots Huge Holes
in Panera's Online Security
Apr 3, 2018 2:41 AM CDT
Researcher Spots Huge Holes in Panera's Online Security
Up to 37M customer records may have been exposed
- Being light, airy, and full of holes is a good quality in an English muffin. Unfortunately for Panera Bread, their online security system seems to have similar attributes, According to the KrebsOnSecurity blog, a data breach may have exposed as many as 37 million customer records at the bakery chain...
Data Breach Compromised
Luxury Chains 'for Entire Year'
Apr 1, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
Data Breach Compromised Luxury Chains 'for Entire Year'
Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks Off Fifth and Lord & Taylor were affected
- A data breach at department store chains Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks Off Fifth and Lord & Taylor has compromised the personal information of customers who shopped at the stores, per the AP . The chains' parent company, Canada-based Hudson's Bay Co., announced the breach of its store payment systems on...
Data Breach Impacts
150M Fitness App Users
Mar 29, 2018 7:19 PM CDT
Data Breach Impacts 150M Fitness App Users
Under Armour announced the breach Thursday
- In what may be the worst thing to happen to Under Armour since everyone was making fun of Steph Curry's shoes , the athletic gear company revealed Thursday that a data breach of its fitness and nutrition app compromised the data of 150 million or so user, CNBC reports. The...
Full-Page Apology Ads
Mar 26, 2018 1:49 AM CDT
Facebook Buys Full-Page Apology Ads
'I promise to do better for you,' Zuckerberg says
- Facebook's CEO apologized for the Cambridge Analytica scandal with ads in multiple US and British newspapers Sunday, saying the social media platform doesn't deserve to hold personal information if it can't protect it. The ads signed by Mark Zuckerberg said a quiz app built by a Cambridge...
'Time for Zuckerberg
to Stop Hiding Behind
His Facebook Page'
Mar 19, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
'Time for Zuckerberg to Stop Hiding Behind His Facebook Page'
The Cambridge Analytica incident picks up steam
- It's variously being called one of the biggest data leaks in Facebook history and "unequivocally not a data breach." And it has lawmakers on both sides of the Atlantic clamoring for answers. This weekend thrust Cambridge Analytica into the spotlight: In 2014, some 270,000 Facebook users...
Trump Consultant Behind
Massive Facebook Data Leak
Mar 18, 2018 9:13 AM CDT
Trump Consultant Behind Massive Facebook Data Leak
Cambridge Analytica got data of over 50M Facebook users without their permission
- A voter-profiling company used by the 2016 Trump campaign collected the private data of over 50 million Facebook users without their permission—one of the biggest data leaks in Facebook history, the
New York Times
reports. According to the
, it started with researchers concluding they could form complex personality...
Report: Uber Paid $100K to
Hacker Who Lives With Mom
Dec 7, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Report: Uber Paid $100K to Hacker Who Lives With Mom
'Extremely unusual' payoff to hide breach made under company's bug bounty program: sources
- Uber last month revealed a major 2016 hack that exposed information for 57 million customers and drivers, as well as the fact that it paid out $100,000 to the attackers to scrub the information and keep the breach secret. Now, sources tell Reuters it was actually one hacker who...
Ex-CEO Blames Russians
for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Nov 8, 2017 4:03 PM CST
Ex-CEO Blames Russians for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Marissa Mayer says she's sorry for hacks that affected all 3 billion Yahoo users
- "I want to sincerely apologize to each and every one of our users,” Reuters quotes former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer as saying. Mayer testified in front of the Senate Commerce Committee Wednesday regarding two massive data breaches at Yahoo. In 2013, all 3 billion Yahoo accounts were hacked...
Data Breach in
History Was Actually
Oct 3, 2017 5:28 PM CDT
Yahoo: Largest Data Breach in History Was Actually Even Larger
All 3B accounts were affected, not just1B
- Yahoo has tripled down on what was already the largest data breach in history, saying it affected all 3 billion of its users, not the 1 billion it revealed late last year, the AP reports. The company announced Tuesday that it's providing notice to additional user accounts affected by...
Now Whole Foods Is Warning
of Credit Card Breach
Sep 29, 2017 6:47 PM CDT
Now Whole Foods Is Warning of Credit Card Breach
It's unclear how many locations or customers were affected
- Some Whole Foods customers may have had their credit card information stolen after the company stated Thursday it had been tipped about "unauthorized access of payment card information," Consumerist reports. The data breach would only affect cards used at the taprooms and full-service restaurants at some Whole Foods...
Eat at Sonic Recently? Your
Card Info May Have Been Stolen
Sep 27, 2017 1:40 PM CDT
Eat at Sonic Recently? Your Card Info May Have Been Stolen
Fast-food chain warns of possible data breach
- Anyone who's recently eaten at a Sonic Drive-In may have had their credit or debit card number stolen and put up for sale online, Krebs on Security reports. It's currently unclear how many restaurants or customers were affected, but Sonic serves approximately 3 million customers per day at...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.