Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Court: Sturgeon Can't Call
Scottish Independence Vote
Nov 23, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Court: Sturgeon Can't Call Scottish Independence Vote
Leader says she'll make the next general election a proxy
- Scotland is not allowed to hold another referendum on independence unless the UK government agrees, the British Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday, and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak opposes the idea. Nevertheless, Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon, who wanted a vote next October, said she respects the ruling—though she's not...
Scotland Wants a
New Date With Independence
Jun 29, 2022 6:04 AM CDT
Scotland Wants a New Date With Independence
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon wants a second vote on Oct. 19, 2023
- Scotland's leader told lawmakers in Edinburgh on Tuesday that she plans to hold a fresh referendum on Scotland's independence on Oct. 19, 2023—even though UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson maintains it wasn't the right time for such a vote. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the question...
After Vote, Scottish Party
Plans Independence Push
May 8, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
After Vote, Scottish Party Plans Independence Push
Referendum needs approval of Boris Johnson, who rejects the idea
- A referendum on Scottish independence is the "will of the country," First Minister Nicola Sturgeon declared Saturday after election results were in. Her Scottish National Party fell one seat short of winning a majority of seats in Parliament but will have the support of allied parties that support...
We'll Seek Another
Mar 13, 2017 9:52 AM CDT
Scotland's Leader: We'll Seek Another Independence Referendum
She wants to give Scotland another chance to leave UK after Brexit vote
- Scotland's leader delivered a shock twist to Britain's EU exit drama on Monday, announcing that she will seek authority to hold a new independence referendum in the next two years because Britain is dragging Scotland out of the EU against its will. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said that...
What's Next for
Scotland—and the UK
Sep 19, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
What's Next for Scotland—and the UK
'No' vote doesn't mean no changes
- Scotland voted to remain part of the United Kingdom, but that doesn't mean there are no changes in store. The BBC ,
, and CNN run down what's next for the country and the UK:
Scottish Parliament will get more power.
That's something the three biggest
Today's Scotland Vote:
What You Need to Know
Sep 18, 2014 7:54 AM CDT
Today's Scotland Vote: What You Need to Know
The vote over Scottish independence is here
- Scots are taking to the polls today to determine whether Scotland should gain legal independence from the United Kingdom for the first time since 1707. Voters—more than 4 million perhaps, with 97% of the electorate registered to vote—have access to 2,608 polling places across the country between...
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
Marjorie Taylor Greene Calls Out, 'Liar!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.