Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Wipe Out Penguin Colony
Jun 21, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Tasmanian Devils Wipe Out Penguin Colony
They were introduced to Maria Island as insurance against extinction
- A plan to protect Tasmanian devils from extinction came at a hellish price for penguins and other birds on an Australian island. Researchers say that after a small number of the carnivorous marsupials were shipped to Maria Island, east of Tasmania, in 2012, the island's population of 3,000...
7 Momentous Births,
First in 3K Years
May 27, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
7 Momentous Births, First in 3K Years
Endangered Tasmanian devils reproduce on Australian mainland
- Wildlife officials trying to preserve Tasmanian devils have announced a long-awaited milestone: Seven have given birth on mainland Australia for the first time in about 3,000 years, reports the BBC . The babes have been found in their mothers' pouches in a sanctuary set up in 2020. There, the devils...
Tasmanian Devils Get Good
News on Cancer Front
Dec 15, 2020 8:27 AM CST
Tasmanian Devils Get Good News on Cancer Front
Gruesome facial cancer 'might eventually go extinct'
- A new study is offering hope for Tasmanian devils, an endangered species battling a contagious cancer. Devil facial tumor disease is a nasty condition causing deep mouth sores that eventually lead to starvation. Since it was first discovered in 1996, researchers have feared the disease would prompt the extinction of...
Superbugs No Match
for Tasmanian Devil Milk
Oct 23, 2016 6:31 AM CDT
Superbugs No Match for Tasmanian Devil Milk
And that could be good news for humans
- Forget mother's milk, the real good stuff is devil's milk. A study published this month in
has found that Tasmanian devil milk contains certain chemical compounds that could help humans in their battle against drug-resistant bacterial infections. WHO has called so-called superbugs "a fundamental threat...
Have Tasmanian Devils
Found the Cure for Cancer?
Aug 30, 2016 6:13 PM CDT
Have Tasmanian Devils Found the Cure for Cancer?
They're rapidly evolving to fend off a particularly deadly form of the disease
- Scientists may not have figured out a cure for cancer, but the Tasmanian devil just might have. According to a study published Tuesday in
, the marsupial is quickly evolving to fend off devil facial tumor disease, one of only three known infectious cancers. The disease was only discovered...
Zoo Killing of
Oct 21, 2014 1:11 PM CDT
$5K Reward in Mysterious Zoo Killing of Tasmanian Devil
Jasper was apparently murdered with chunk of asphalt in Albuquerque, NM
- More security cameras are in place, additional guards are on duty, and a $5,000 reward is being offered for anyone with info leading to an arrest in the killing of Jasper the Tasmanian devil, the
reports. Police think the rare marsupial—one of four brought to New...
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
Fate of Thousands of Convicts May Lie in This One Word
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.