Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Query on Trans
Mar 29, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Guy Pearce's Query on Trans Actors Doesn't Land Well
'Memento' star's question on who should be able to play what characters ignited a brouhaha
- Guy Pearce was asking questions this week—including one that quickly got him into hot water with the transgender community. Deadline reports that on Monday, the
star, who became famous for playing a drag queen in 1994's
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Whoopi Apologizes for New
Offensive Remark on
Mar 17, 2023 7:19 AM CDT
Whoopi Apologizes for New Offensive Remark on
Goldberg, who used ethnic slur for Romani people, says she's 'really, really sorry'
- Whoopi Goldberg found herself embroiled in yet another controversy this week after she said an ethnic slur on air. CBS News reports that, on Wednesday's episode of
, the show's co-host was trying to articulate how supporters of former President Trump felt after he lost his bid...
Massachusetts Dem's 'Off the
Rails' Remarks Draw Backlash
Feb 24, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Massachusetts Dem's 'Off the Rails' Remarks Draw Backlash
At City Council meeting, Michael Hugo tied abortion to costs of services for special-needs kids
- A Massachusetts town official is making the apology rounds after comments he made that tied abortion and children with special needs. NBC Boston reports that during a Framingham City Council meeting on Feb. 7, the council voted unanimously to pass an ordinance that offered local protection for reproductive rights. In...
DeSantis Boycotts NBC Over
Andrea Mitchell's 'Blatant Lie'
Feb 23, 2023 7:53 AM CST
DeSantis Boycotts NBC Over Andrea Mitchell's 'Blatant Lie'
Florida governor's office says he won't work with NBC, affiliates until Andrea Mitchell apologizes
- Ron DeSantis is fielding multiple apologies these days, but he's not buying at least one of them. The Florida governor has taken a lot of heat over his opposition to content in the College Board's new AP African-American course—and his threats to quash it , and all AP...
Rio Tinto: Sorry We Lost
That Radioactive Capsule
Jan 30, 2023 5:54 AM CST
Rio Tinto: Sorry We Lost That Radioactive Capsule
Mining giant says hunt is still on in Western Australia for tiny container with cesium 137
- One of the largest mining companies in the world is now apologizing for losing a teensy capsule filled with a whole lot of danger. "We recognize this is clearly very concerning and are sorry for the alarm it has caused in the Western Australian community," Simon Trott, CEO...
Gaetz Forgives GOP Colleague
for 'Animated Moment'
Jan 9, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Gaetz Forgives GOP Colleague for 'Animated Moment'
Rep. Mike Rogers had to be held back from Florida congressman during House speaker vote
- A "tense moment" during the House speaker vote last week has died down, with the two main players now extending olive branches. The incident involved Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, who was a holdout against voting in Rep. Kevin McCarthy as speaker, and Alabama Rep. Mike Rogers, an ally who...
Jan 6, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Doctor Harassed After Rogan Promotes Fake Tweet
Podcaster has since apologized for his part over post that spread misinformation on COVID vaccine
- Earlier this year, amid backlash on his conversations about COVID and climate change, Joe Rogan insisted he was "not trying to promote misinformation" on his popular Spotify podcast. This week, however, he found himself apologizing for doing just that, after he promoted a fake tweet that brought harassment upon...
for Experiments on Prisoners
Dec 24, 2022 5:30 AM CST
University Apologizes for Experiments on Prisoners
UCSF conducted the dermatology experiments in the 1960s and '70s
- A prominent California medical school has apologized for conducting dozens of unethical medical experiments on at least 2,600 incarcerated men in the 1960s and 1970s, including putting pesticides and herbicides on the men's skin and injecting it into their veins, per the AP . Two dermatologists at the University...
Fans Rage Against
After Bad Bunny
Dec 12, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Fans Rage Against Ticketmaster After Bad Bunny Concert Fiasco
Ticketholders with real tickets were turned away from Mexico City show due to influx of fake tickets
- Bad Bunny, the Puerto Rican rapper and singer known for such hits as "Moscow Mule" and "I Like It," performed in Mexico City on Friday and Saturday night, the final shows on his World's Hottest Tour across North America and Latin America, and he was filled...
Oct 25, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
James Corden Opens Show With Apology
'Late Late Show' host explained how NYC restaurant banned him over 'rude comment'
- "Have I missed anything? Did I miss any news?" James Corden joked with his studio audience Monday. The
Late Late Show
host was, of course, referring to the hubbub sparked since he was banned, then unbanned from the New York City restaurant Balthazar over his reported treatment of the...
Jul 7, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Made One Fatal Error
He apologized, and that rarely plays well in politics, writes Martha Gill
- Boris Johnson has been beset by one scandal after another over the years, so why did the latest one bring his resignation ? At the
New York Times
, Martha Gill writes that Johnson made a big political error this week: He apologized. "It was a mistake, and I apologize...
The City of Orlando's July 4
Message Didn't Land Well
Jul 5, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
The City of Orlando's July 4 Message Didn't Land Well
It's now apologizing for message acknowledging some might not feel like celebrating the holiday
- Orlando's Independence Day message was seemingly an attempt to commiserate with those unhappy and stressed over recent events in the news, but all it did was create a backlash that extended all the way to the Florida governor's office. The city newsletter that went out on Friday acknowledged...
Ukraine Apologizes to Japan
Over Pic of WWII Emperor
Apr 25, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Ukraine Apologizes to Japan Over Pic of WWII Emperor
Video tweeted out by Ukraine government account showed Hirohito's photo next to Hitler, Mussolini
- Ukraine has a brand-new word —"ruscism," roughly translated as "Russian fascism"—to describe what's happening now within its war-torn borders. But its thoughts on defeating fascism went a little awry over the weekend, after a government account tweeted a video that compared Japan's...
Mar 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Neb. Lawmaker Apologizes for Believing 'Ugly Rumor'
State Sen. Bruce Bostelman believed claim schools were putting out litter boxes for 'furry' students
- School custodians probably wouldn't want to add "empty litter boxes" to their daily to-do list, and luckily they don't have to—because students using litter boxes in school is not an actual thing. One Nebraska lawmaker is finally acknowledging that, and offering a public apology, after spreading...
on Rosie O'Donnell
My Name' First
Feb 24, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Priyanka Chopra on Rosie O'Donnell Apology: 'Google My Name' First
Ex-'View' star thought Chopra was Deepak Chopra's daughter; her mea culpa missed the mark
- There are plenty of resources online on how to craft a good apology, but Rosie O'Donnell apparently winged it for her latest mea culpa. Page Six reports on a recent encounter that took place between the former
co-host, singer Nick Jonas, and Jonas' wife, actress and singer Priyanka...
All the Moms
of His Kids
Feb 5, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Nick Cannon Apologizes to All the Moms of His Kids
Talk show host criticized for how he announced his upcoming 8th child, 2 months after death of son
- With five mothers of his children out there, talk show host Nick Cannon is probably used to some level of relationship drama—but he's drawing special ire for the way in which he announced his current partner's pregnancy on his show on Monday,
reports. Cannon and model...
Feb 5, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Susan Sarandon Apologizes for 'Insensitive' Post
Actress had shared a meme comparing police officers attending an NYPD funeral to 'fascism'
Susan Sarandon is now apologizing for sharing a social media post that compared police officers attending the funeral of a fallen NYPD colleague to "fascism."
reports that on Friday, the 75-year-old actress posted a statement on her Instagram story and on Twitter , where she offered a...
Jan 31, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Potential Trouble for Johnson: 300 Photos
British prime minister under fire after scathing report on Downing Street parties
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologized Monday after an inquiry concluded that Downing Street parties while Britain was in lockdown represented a “serious failure” of judgment. But Johnson brushed off calls to quit over the “partygate” scandal, promising...
Lawmaker Tries to Pants
Referee at Son's Game
Jan 6, 2022 11:16 AM CST
Lawmaker Tries to Pants Referee at Son's Game
'I was bad wrong,' says Tennessee Rep. Jeremy Faison
- One of Tennessee's most powerful Republican lawmakers has apologized for his "completely stupid" behavior at his son's high school basketball game earlier this week—which included trying to pull down a referee's pants. The attempted pantsing of ref Paul Pendleton happened near the end of the...
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
As Elections Approach, Musk's X Makes a 'Concerning' Move
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.