Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Robert Durst's Widow Sued
by Family of His First Wife
Feb 2, 2022 2:15 AM CST
Robert Durst's Widow Sued by Family of His First Wife
Kathie McCormack Durst's family says second wife helped him evade justice
- Robert Durst was married to second wife Debrah Lee Charatan at the time of his death, and now the family of his still-missing and presumed dead first wife, Kathie McCormack Durst, is suing Charatan. Durst left his fortune to his widow and named her executor of his estate; McCormack's...
Here's Strange 'Twist'
in Robert Durst's Death
Jan 11, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Here's Strange 'Twist' in Robert Durst's Death
His conviction will likely be vacated
- In what the
New York Times
calls a "bizarre legal twist," Robert Durst's murder conviction appears likely to be vacated since he died while an appeal was pending . The 78-year-old subject of the HBO documentary
was convicted in September of killing longtime friend Susan Berman...
Murderer Robert Durst
Dies at 78
Jan 10, 2022 12:58 PM CST
Murderer Robert Durst Dies at 78
He was either convicted or accused in 3 killings, including his wife
- Robert Durst, a convicted killer and heir to a real estate fortune in New York, has died in a California prison at age 78, reports the
New York Post
. Durst was serving a life sentence for murdering his longtime friend Susan Berman, and he was subsequently indicted in the 1982...
Robert Durst Indicted
in 2nd Murder
Nov 2, 2021 2:15 AM CDT
Robert Durst Indicted in 2nd Murder
He's already serving a life sentence, has been indicted for his first wife's murder
Robert Durst was on Monday indicted by a grand jury in the suburbs of New York City on charges of second-degree murder in the death of his first wife. Durst, who was transferred last week to a state prison hospital as he continues to battle COVID-19, is currently...
Right After Life Sentence,
Robert Durst Fights To Survive
Oct 17, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Right After Life Sentence, Robert Durst Fights To Survive
Killer has COVID and is on a ventilator, attorney says
- Robert Durst was just convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison, now the millionaire subject of HBO's
The Jinx may be
fighting for his life. Per NBC News , Durst's attorney says the 78-year-old has COVID. "All we know he’s tested positive for Covid-19, he’...
Robert Durst Receives
Life Without Parole
Oct 14, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Robert Durst Receives Life Without Parole
Real estate heir had been convicted for killing best friend more than 20 years ago
Susan Berman was "an extraordinary human being," Los Angeles Country Judge Mark Windham said Thursday. Then he sentenced Robert Durst to life in prison without parole for her murder, CNN reports. "I personally wish I could have known her," the judge said, adding that Berman'...
New Woes May
Be Looming for
Oct 9, 2021 8:29 AM CDT
New Woes May Be Looming for Robert Durst
NY prosecutor plans to seek indictment regarding death of real estate scion's first wife, per source
- A New York prosecutor will seek an indictment in the coming weeks against millionaire real estate scion Robert Durst for the death of his former wife, Kathie Durst, who disappeared in 1982, a person familiar with the matter told the AP on Friday. Westchester District Attorney Mimi Rocah decided in...
Robert Durst: Yes, I Wrote
the Infamous 'Cadaver Note'
Aug 17, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Robert Durst: Yes, I Wrote the Infamous 'Cadaver Note'
Admits it's 'difficult to believe' he wrote tipoff note but didn't kill Susan Berman
- Murder suspect Robert Durst admitted for the first time Monday something that those following the case probably already knew—he wrote what has come to be known as the "cadaver note." The note has long been a key piece of evidence in the case of Susan Berman, a...
Durst Says He Lied to Cops
About Night Wife Disappeared
Aug 12, 2021 4:04 AM CDT
Durst Says He Lied to Cops About Night Wife Disappeared
He falsely claimed to have spoken to her days after she was last seen
- Real estate heir Robert Durst testified Wednesday that he has changed his mind many times about whether he actually saw his wife step onto a commuter train for Manhattan on the night she disappeared in 1982, and said he lied to police when he told them he later spoke to...
What Robert Durst Had to Say
While Testifying at His Trial
Aug 10, 2021 1:40 AM CDT
What Robert Durst Had to Say While Testifying at His Trial
'The Jinx' subject denies killing his best friend, Susan Berman, in 2000
- Robert Durst took the stand in his own murder trial Monday for the first of what is expected to be several days of testimony. The 78-year-old millionaire real estate tycoon is accused of murdering his best friend, Susan Berman, in 2000 to stop her from possibly implicating him in the...
Made to Testify, Durst's
Brother Speaks: 'He'd
Like to Murder Me'
Jun 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Made to Testify, Durst's Brother Speaks: 'He'd Like to Murder Me'
Douglas Durst fears his brother 'may have the means to do so,' despite being locked up
- The estranged brother of Robert Durst, the real estate heir on trial in his best friend's slaying , testified under threat of subpoena Monday that the two never got along and he feared his oldest sibling would kill him. "He'd like to murder me," Douglas Durst bluntly...
Evidence of Innocence
May 20, 2021 3:36 AM CDT
Durst Lawyer: Dismemberment Is Evidence of Innocence
He left 'hundreds of clues' after killing man in 2001
- The savage and sloppy manner in which Robert Durst dismembered a man he accidentally killed in Texas helps prove the New York real estate heir didn’t murder his best friend or kill his wife, his lawyer argued Wednesday. Durst's amateurish efforts to dispose of the body of Morris...
May 14, 2021 1:29 AM CDT
Robert Durst Has Cancer
Lawyers ask to postpone murder trial already delayed due to COVID
- Days before Robert Durst's murder trial was set to resume after a more than yearlong delay, his lawyers are asking for it to be postponed indefinitely. Durst, the heir to a New York real estate empire who is accused of fatally shooting his friend Susan Berman in 2000 and...
Coronavirus Has Now Delayed
an Infamous Murder Trial
Mar 16, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Coronavirus Has Now Delayed an Infamous Murder Trial
Robert Durst trial is now postponed in LA at least until April 6
- The trial of Robert Durst has become another coronavirus casualty. Los Angeles County Superior Court Mark E. Windham says the murder trial of the real estate heir will be adjourned until at least April 6. The superior court's presiding judge said Sunday that new civil and criminal trials will...
Durst Plotted to Kill
Brother, Too: Prosecutors
Mar 10, 2020 3:33 PM CDT
Durst Plotted to Kill Brother, Too: Prosecutors
He allegedly used 'Igor' as code for murder
- "I was planning on Igor-ing BM." So said Robert Durst in a jailhouse phone call in 2001, a recording played during his murder trial Monday. Deputy District Attorney John Lewin explained to jurors that "BM" referred to his brother, Douglas, and "Igor-ing" was his code for...
'This Is the Trial' You Want
to Be On: Durst Judge
Feb 19, 2020 3:45 PM CST
'This Is the Trial' You Want to Be On: Durst Judge
Jury selection began Wednesday in Robert Durst's murder trial
- For someone who says he doesn’t like talking with people, Robert Durst has shown a propensity to open up to strangers. It has not done him any favors. The New York real estate heir’s lengthy interviews with filmmakers led to a damning documentary on his suspected role in...
Infamous Tip-Off Note
Dec 31, 2019 5:02 PM CST
Robert Durst Admits Writing Infamous Tip-Off Note
Lawyers for the New York real estate heir acknowledge he penned the letter to police
- Lawyers for New York real estate heir Robert Durst acknowledge he penned a note tipping off police to the location of the body of a friend he’s accused of killing, according to court documents. In a court filing Christmas Eve in Los Angeles Superior Court, lawyers for Durst conceded...
Were Also Edited
Apr 25, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Words Seem 'Damning.' They Were Also Edited
As trial approaches, documentary makers under fire for presenting his words out of order
- Dramatic storytelling or manipulation of the truth? That's the question posed by the
New York Times
about the HBO documentary
, which in 2015 aired an apparent "confession" by Robert Durst—accused of killing friend Susan Berman and long suspected of killing his wife—in its final...
Durst Ordered to Stand
Trial for LA Murder
Oct 26, 2018 12:22 AM CDT
Durst Ordered to Stand Trial for LA Murder
He's accused of shooting a friend 18 years ago
- Robert Durst, the New York real estate heir who was the subject of a television documentary series, was ordered Thursday to stand trial for the murder of his close friend in Los Angeles 18 years ago. A judge ruled that there is enough evidence to try the eccentric 75-year-old multimillionaire...
Secret Witness Spills on Durst:
Wife's Fears, Open Marriage
Feb 16, 2017 8:06 AM CST
Secret Witness Spills on Durst: Wife's Fears, Open Marriage
Former BFF Nick Chavin says disappeared Kathie Durst called husband 'impossible'
- The bizarre story of Robert Durst took a new turn this week as the much-talked-about "secret witness" emerged with details on Durst's first marriage. Per NBC News , 72-year-old Nick Chavin showed up at the real estate heir's pretrial hearing for his murder case Wednesday—through a back...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.