Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Killed Girl Who
Inspired a Huge
Apr 9, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Coronavirus Likely Killed Girl Who Inspired a Huge Movement
Charlotte Figi succumbed to horrible illness that hit her whole family
- By age 7, Charlotte Figi had inspired a movement and changed the way CBD is used for medicinal purposes. On Tuesday, at age 13, she died—likely as a result of the coronavirus. As the
reports, Charlotte's mom, Paige, had been posting on Facebook for weeks about...
Odd Virus Symptoms
Crop Up: 'There's No
Ventilator for the Brain'
Apr 3, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Odd Virus Symptoms Crop Up: 'There's No Ventilator for the Brain'
Seizures, dizziness, and 'altered mental status' observed in some COVID-19 patients
- Chris Cuomo recently described his COVID-19 symptoms, and in addition to the fever, shivering, and body aches typically associated with the coronavirus, the CNN anchor relayed a "freaky" anecdote about hallucinating images of his late father and other people from his past. It's not clear exactly what happened...
Gamer Saves Pal's Life
From 5K Miles Away
Jan 11, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Gamer Saves Pal's Life From 5K Miles Away
Dia Lathora called UK police all the way from Texas
- Looks like video games come with a built-in safety net. A teenager in Widnes, England, had a sudden seizure while gaming last week with an online friend—and that friend, 5,000 miles away in Texas, called the police, CBS News reports. "I could hear him seizing and breathing...
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head.
7 Months Later, an Update
Jan 8, 2020 12:20 PM CST
A Foul Ball Hit a Girl's Head. 7 Months Later, an Update
Child hurt at Astros game has permanent brain injury, may have to take meds for life: lawyer
- A young girl hit by a foul ball during a Houston Astros game in May has a permanent brain injury, a lawyer for her family says. Attorney Richard Mithoff tells the
that the 2 1/2-year-old—who suffered a skull fracture at Minute Maid Park in Houston on May...
A Charity's Twitter Feed Was
Hacked. Then, Flashing Lights
Dec 18, 2019 10:05 AM CST
A Charity's Twitter Feed Was Hacked. Then, Flashing Lights
Cyberattack against epilepsy group came during National Epilepsy Awareness Month
- The Epilepsy Foundation has filed criminal complaints after hackers targeted the charity's Twitter followers with seizure-inducing videos. Flashing and strobing videos and GIFs were sent to some 30,000 followers as part of a cyberattack last month, according to a release . Indeed, the
New York Times
describes 30 attacks...
'Voice of Wandering
Evangelicals' Dies at 37
May 5, 2019 5:41 AM CDT
'Voice of Wandering Evangelicals' Dies at 37
Popular Christian author Rachel Held Evans dies of complications of infection and brain seizures
- Progressive Christian author Rachel Held Evans, who the
New York Times
says "gave voice to a generation of wandering evangelicals wrestling with their faith," died in Tennessee on Saturday after spending two weeks in a hospital for treatment for an infection and brain seizures. She was 37. Sarah...
Jun 18, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Disney Issues Seizure Warning for
Flashing lights scene can trigger seizures, other issues
- After anecdotal warnings circulated on social media , Disney has issued an official seizure warning for
. Both the film and the trailer contain flashing or strobe light effects, which can cause seizures for some epileptic viewers; the Epilepsy Foundation spoke out about the issue, and a petition called for...
Top High School Basketball
Player Dies on the Court
May 27, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Top High School Basketball Player Dies on the Court
James Hampton was hoping to one day help his family out of poverty
- A top-ranked high school basketball player died suddenly during a game before he was able to fulfill his dream of using his gifts to help his family out of poverty. Per CBS News , James Hampton collapsed during a Nike Elite Youth Basketball League game in Virginia on Saturday. The 6'...
NYC Crosswalk Crash Killed
Daughter of Broadway Star
Mar 8, 2018 11:15 AM CST
NYC Crosswalk Crash Killed Daughter of Broadway Star
Driver claims to have suffered a seizure
- Feelings of heartbreak in the wake of a horrifying incident at a New York City crosswalk Monday have turned to feelings of outrage with new details emerging about the driver who allegedly struck and killed two young children and critically injured a pregnant Broadway star. As SILive.com reports, the...
Virtual Reality Chat Room
Stunned as Robot Has Seizure
Jan 19, 2018 6:31 PM CST
Virtual Reality Chat Room Stunned as Robot Has Seizure
'There was nothing we could do'
- It was business as usual in the virtual reality chat room until the robot had a seizure. The Verge reports the unnerving incident happened Wednesday on VRChat, where users in the forms of avatars can interact with each other. According to the Daily Dot , "Morty, Sonic, Knuckles, a dude...
Parents Sue School to Let
11-Year-Old Use Medical Pot
Jan 12, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Parents Sue School to Let 11-Year-Old Use Medical Pot
Illinois state law bans use of drug on school grounds
- Most parents would celebrate a school that specifically bars students from using marijuana on its premises. Not an Illinois couple. JS and MS, as they’re identified in court documents, are suing the state after a Schaumburg school district barred their 11-year-old daughter from using a medical cannabis patch and...
Lil Wayne to
Sep 4, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
Seizures Send Lil Wayne to the Hospital
Rapper has to cancel show after being found unconscious in Chicago hotel room
- Seizures again landed Lil Wayne in the hospital on Sunday, reports TMZ , forcing the rapper to cancel a show Sunday night in Las Vegas. Wayne was found unconscious in his hotel room after suffering at least one seizure, then another after he was taken to the hospital. It's not...
Deadly Tick Disease Has
Experts Issuing Dire Warnings
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
Deadly Tick Disease Has Experts Issuing Dire Warnings
Expert says we should be 'very scared' about Powassan virus
- There's an emerging tick-borne disease spreading across the US, and it has infectious disease experts sounding the alarm. The so-called Powassan virus, which the CDC reports is related to West Nile, is still very rare, with only about 75 cases reported in the past decade. But it is far...
'Newsweek' Reporter to Online
Troll: 'I'm Coming for You'
Dec 20, 2016 8:18 AM CST
'Newsweek' Reporter to Online Troll: 'I'm Coming for You'
Kurt Eichenwald, who has epilepsy, says tweet with flashing GIF caused him seizure
- "I'm coming for you, you son of a bitch." That was Monday's tweet from
senior writer and epilepsy sufferer Kurt Eichenwald, addressing the person who tweeted a flashing strobe GIF at him that caused him to have a seizure. Per Courthouse News , Eichenwald—who appeared...
A Pot Smoothie
Ended Her Girl's
She Lost Her
Nov 7, 2016 1:42 PM CST
A Pot Smoothie Ended Her Girl's Seizures. Then She Lost Her
Kelsey Osborne is fighting to get 3-year-old Madyson back
- A 3-year-old Gooding, Idaho, girl tested positive for pot at her pediatrician's office on Oct. 5, and mom Kelsey Osborne was the reason why. The 23-year-old lost custody of her two kids because of it. Now, she's fighting back. Osborne describes the smoothie she made for daughter Madyson—...
Jun 14, 2016 8:36 AM CDT
Lil Wayne's Seizures Force Plane Down Twice
He's 'in stable condition and good spirits'
- Lil Wayne was taken to a hospital Monday after a series of seizures forced his private jet to make two emergency landings, both in Omaha, Nebraska. The rapper, who in 2013 revealed he has epilepsy, was flying from Milwaukee to California when he suffered a seizure, reports TMZ . Once on...
Man's Fitbit Helps
Doctors Save His Life
Apr 8, 2016 7:21 AM CDT
Man's Fitbit Helps Doctors Save His Life
It revealed vital heart data at the hospital
- It happens every day—someone going about his or her ordinary schedule has a seizure, gets looked over by a doctor, and hopefully lives to tell about it. Only in the case of a 42-year-old man who went to the emergency room at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center in...
Girl to Hospital,
Mar 7, 2016 12:11 AM CST
Firefighters Rush Girl to Hospital, Get Punished
They used their fire engine, which is against the rules
- Two volunteer firefighters are on administrative leave after driving an 18-month-old girl to the hospital for urgent medical care in their fire engine, Fox 5 DC reports. Capt. James Kelley and Sgt. Virgil Bloom, who volunteer in Fredericksburg, Va., found the girl partly paralyzed and were told she had just...
Woman Thanks Anonymous Hero in Newspaper Ad
Sep 17, 2015 1:23 PM CDT
Woman Thanks Anonymous Hero in Newspaper Ad
'She saved my life that day'
- A Colorado woman has reached out to thank the anonymous Good Samaritan who saved her life at a Walmart last month—via a newspaper ad. The Summit County woman, identified only as Teresa, stopped breathing after experiencing a seizure and collapsed at a Walmart in Frisco, reports CBS Denver . Walmart...
Saved My Life'
Mar 13, 2015 9:12 AM CDT
Illinois Man: 'Hot Sauce Saved My Life'
Randy Schmitz says sauce-induced seizure led to MRI that detected tumor
- Variety literally became the spice of life for an Illinois man: While sampling the wares at a hot-sauce shop in Myrtle Beach, SC, Randy Schmitz had a seizure that ended up being a blessing. Schmitz was visiting the Pepper Palace while on vacation last August when he decided to try...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.