Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2022 Beijing Olympics
Stories 21 - 40 |
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays
Skaters' Medals: Reports
Feb 9, 2022 7:45 PM CST
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays Skaters' Medals: Reports
Russian newspapers say Kamila Valieva, 15, tested positive for banned heart drug
This file has been updated with reports of a positive drug test on the Russian team.
The winners in the team figure-skating competition at the Beijing Olympics still haven't received their medals two days later because of what the International Olympic Committee said are "legal issues."...
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,'
Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Feb 9, 2022 6:51 AM CST
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,' Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Lindsey Jacobellis brings home first gold for US at Winter Games in Beijing
- It took 16 years and five Olympic appearances, but Lindsey Jacobellis finally has her gold medal. NBC News reports that the world-champion snowboarder, who first competed in the Games in 2006 in Turin, took top honors Wednesday in the women's snowboard cross, earning the US its first gold at...
Feb 9, 2022 12:14 AM CST
Nathan Chen Delivers Incredible, Record-Shattering Short Program
US figure skater scores 113.97 points
- Nathan Chen had just shattered the world record for a figure skating short program, even throwing a defiant fist in a rare display of emotion, when he was asked how he'd spend the next 48 hours before his long-awaited Olympic coronation. “I've been here a while,”...
Olympic Fury: 'They Destroyed
Women's Ski Jumping'
Feb 8, 2022 2:42 PM CST
Olympic Fury: 'They Destroyed Women's Ski Jumping'
5 female ski jumpers disqualified ahead of Tuesday's mixed finals
- There's plenty of hand-wringing going on in the sport of ski jumping after five female competitors were disqualified prior to the Olympic mixed team ski jump final on Tuesday for apparent suit violations. The Mainichi explains the rationale behind the checks: to verify the suit doesn't give the...
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic
Commentary Can Continue
Feb 8, 2022 9:07 AM CST
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic Commentary Can Continue
Network says it resolved third-party error causing comedian's videos to be blocked
NBC says Leslie Jones can continue sharing her colorful Olympics commentary after a "third-party error" caused her videos to be blocked. "We have resolved the situation. She is free to do her social media posts as she has done in the past," a rep says, per...
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
On Olympic Ice,
a Huge First
Feb 7, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On Olympic Ice, a Huge First
Russia's Kamila Valieva, 15, is first woman ever to land quad at Olympics
- "HISTORY MADE!" was NBC's excited tweet after a young Olympic figure skater from Russia landed a quadruple jump in Beijing during the women's team free-skate program.
reports that Kamila Valieva, 15, pulled off both a quad salchow (watch her do it here ) and...
Feb 7, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Skater Pulls Off Unprecedented Olympic Feat
Speedskater Ireen Wust of the Netherlands has won individual golds at 5 different Olympics
- She won her first individual gold medal back in 2006. Incredibly, speedskater Ireen Wust of the Netherlands collected her fifth such medal at the Beijing Games on Monday, 16 years later. As a result, the 35-year-old is now the only Olympian to have won five individual golds at five different...
After Fall in
Feb 6, 2022 11:20 AM CST
Chinese Scorn US-Born Skater After Fall in Olympics Debut
Some online ask why Zhu Yi is on China's team
- China apparently has censored the social media fury that erupted Sunday after a US-born skater fell and crashed into a wall in her debut for the host Olympic team. Zhu Yi put up the lowest score of the women's short program team event, CNN reports. China fell from third...
She's the First American
Medalist at Beijing Games
Feb 6, 2022 5:30 AM CST
She's the First American Medalist at Beijing Games
Julia Marino wins silver in snowboarding
- Snowboarder Julia Marino has won America's first medal at the Beijing Winter Olympics. Marino took the silver in slopestyle snowboarding, reports
. "There's so much emotions," the 24-year-old from Westport, Connecticut, said afterward, per ESPN . "It's pure excitement and happiness." (Watch her...
Beijing Olympics Begin,
Minus Western Diplomats
Feb 4, 2022 6:49 AM CST
Beijing Olympics Begin, Minus Western Diplomats
There's a huge contrast between now and the start of the 2008 Games
- The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics kicked off Friday with an opening ceremony in the Bird's Nest stadium, making China's capital the first city to host both summer and winter Olympics. But in the 14 years between the Games, much has changed, the AP reports. Hopes that 2008 marked...
Ties With China
Feb 4, 2022 4:13 AM CST
Putin Praises 'Unprecedented' Ties With China
He hails 'dignified relations' hours before Olympics begin
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday praised "unprecedented" close relations with China, as he met with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing hours ahead of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony. The two leaders are looking to project themselves as a counterweight to the US and its allies, as...
In a First, All Snow in
Olympics Will Be Fake
Feb 3, 2022 11:40 AM CST
In a First, All Snow in Olympics Will Be Fake
Beijing practice could be the new norm amid climate change
- The Winter Olympics have long been aided by fake snow. As Quartz reports, it began with the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, NY, as officials turned to snowmaking machines to pump out the white stuff in the midst of a dry winter. Over the years, amid warming global temperatures, officials...
11 at Olympics
Are in Hospital
Feb 2, 2022 6:15 PM CST
11 at Olympics Are in Hospital With COVID
US bobsled team deals with several cases
- Days before the Winter Olympics begin, officials in Beijing said 11 people at the Games are hospitalized with cases of COVID-19. The infections were said to not be life threatening, the
reports. Since Jan. 23, 232 cases have been reported. Dr. Brian McCloskey, chair of the panel of medical...
FBI Has Ominous
Advice for Olympians
Feb 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
FBI Has Ominous Advice for Olympians
Bureau tells athletes to use burner phones, warns of 'malicious cyber activities' in China
- The FBI is urging Olympic athletes to use burner phones while in China over fears that they might otherwise be tracked. "The FBI urges all athletes to keep their personal cell phones at home and use a temporary phone while at the Games," the agency says. It adds...
China Loves This Olympian.
America Has Mixed Feelings
Feb 1, 2022 12:17 PM CST
China Loves This Olympian. America Has Mixed Feelings
18-year-old Eileen Gu, born and raised in US, will compete for China as its best chance for gold
- Eileen Gu "is, without debate, the most dominant woman in freeskiing," per ESPN . The 18-year-old San Francisco native is therefore the favorite to win gold in big air, halfpipe, and slopestyle freestyle skiing events at the Beijing Olympics. But if she does, those medals won't be counted...
It's Now the
Year of the Tiger
Feb 1, 2022 8:17 AM CST
It's Now the Year of the Tiger
Chinese celebrants ring in Lunar New Year despite pandemic restrictions
- Chinese people rang in the Lunar New Year on Tuesday despite pandemic restrictions, as small crowds gathered at temples to offer traditional prayers for the Year of the Tiger. At the Lama Temple in Beijing, dozens of people bowed in prayer before the ornate west gate of the Tibetan Buddhist...
After Cases Surface, China
Orders Mass COVID Testing
Jan 23, 2022 2:55 PM CST
After Cases Surface, China Orders Mass COVID Testing
2M in Beijing district begin lining up, while people in high-risk areas can't leave city as Games near
- People in a Beijing district with some 2 million residents were ordered Sunday to undergo mass coronavirus testing following a series of infections as China tightened anti-disease controls ahead of the Winter Olympics. The government told people in areas of the Chinese capital deemed at high risk for infection not...
China Limits Olympic
Torch Relay to 3 Days
Jan 21, 2022 5:03 AM CST
China Limits Olympic Torch Relay to 3 Days
COVID concerns will restrict relay to 'safe and controllable' locations, organizers say
- China is limiting the torch relay for the Winter Olympics to only three days amid coronavirus worries, organizers said Friday. The flame will be displayed only in enclosed venues that are deemed "safe and controllable," according to officials. No public transit routes will be disturbed and normal life...
China Warns Athletes Against
Speaking Out at Olympics
Jan 19, 2022 7:10 PM CST
China Warns Athletes Against Speaking Out at Olympics
'Certain punishment' awaits, official says
- The Winter Olympics in Beijing kick off in a little over two weeks—and China has issued a stern warning to athletes who might be thinking about supporting calls to free Tibet or liberate Hong Kong. Yang Shu, deputy director general of international relations for the Beijing Organizing Committee, said...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.