Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CDC Report on Teen Vaping,
Smoking: 'A Lot of Good News'
Nov 2, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
CDC Report on Teen Vaping, Smoking: 'A Lot of Good News'
Number of high schoolers who vape drops from 14% to 10%
- Fewer high school students are vaping this year, the government reported Thursday. In a survey, 10% of high school students said they had used electronic cigarettes in the previous month, down from 14% last year. Use of any tobacco product—including cigarettes and cigars—also fell among high schoolers, according...
Only 1 in 9 US Adults
Still Smokes Cigarettes
Apr 28, 2023 4:35 AM CDT
Only 1 in 9 US Adults Still Smokes Cigarettes
Rate hit an all-time low last year
- US cigarette smoking dropped to another all-time low last year, with 1 in 9 adults saying they were current smokers, according to government survey data released Thursday. Last year, the percentage of adult smokers dropped to about 11%, down from about 12.5% in 2020 and 2021. The survey findings...
Juul to Pay $438.5M to
Settle Teen Vaping Probe
Sep 6, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Juul to Pay $438.5M to Settle Teen Vaping Probe
33 states were investigating the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products
- Electronic cigarette maker Juul Labs has agreed to pay nearly $440 million to settle a two-year investigation by 33 states into the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products, which have long been blamed for sparking a national surge in teen vaping. Connecticut Attorney General William Tong announced the deal Tuesday...
Have to Pull
Its E-Cigs Yet
Jul 6, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Juul Actually Doesn't Have to Pull Its E-Cigs Yet
FDA temporarily suspends its order banning the products
- The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay Tuesday on the order it issued last month for vaping company Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the market. The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but does...
FDA to Juul: Pull Your
E-Cigs Off the Market
Jun 23, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
FDA to Juul: Pull Your E-Cigs Off the Market
Decision is a major blow to the vaping company
This summary has been updated to reflect the FDA decision.
The FDA on Thursday ordered Juul to take its e-cigs and other products off the market in the US, reports the
New York Times
, which describes it as a "profoundly damaging blow" to the company. The agency found...
Russia: We Have
WNBA Star in Custody
Mar 5, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Russia: We Have WNBA Star in Custody
Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner was reportedly detained last month for having 'vapes'
- Russia says it arrested an American WNBA star last month on drug charges, and a law enforcement official who spoke to the Russian news agency Tass says it's the Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner. Per an Interfax release , the nation's Federal Customs Service says that in February, a...
A Big First for FDA
Oct 13, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
A Big First for FDA on E-Cigarettes
Agency authorizes one to stay on the market
- For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized an electronic cigarette, saying the vaping device from RJ Reynolds can help smokers cut back on conventional cigarettes. E-cigarettes have been sold in the US for more than a decade with minimal government oversight or research. Facing a...
at Home, Teen
Sep 30, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
With Students at Home, Teen Vaping Plunges
The question is whether rates will climb as schools reopen
- Teen vaping plummeted in the US this year as many students were forced to learn from home during the pandemic, according to a government report released Thursday. Health officials urged caution in interpreting the numbers, which were collected through an online questionnaire for the first time, the AP reports. But...
Ahead of Major Trial,
an E-Cig Maker Settles
Jun 28, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Ahead of Major Trial, an E-Cig Maker Settles
Juul will pay North Carolina $40M over allegations it went after teens in ads
- Remember when Juul was everywhere, and all the kids thought it was cool? So does the state of North Carolina, which sued the vape pod company in 2019. Now, Juul has agreed to pay $40 million over six years to settle that lawsuit just before it was set to go...
Another Risk Factor
for COVID: Vaping
Aug 12, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Another Risk Factor for COVID: Vaping
Young people's survey answers show smoking makes them much more vulnerable to virus
- Researchers were not surprised when a survey showed that using e-cigarettes puts young people at greater risk from COVID-19. But they weren't prepared for the depth of the risk they found. Vapers age 13-24 were five times as likely to test positive for the coronavirus, Stanford University researchers say....
It's Not a Good
Time to Smoke
Apr 9, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
It's Not a Good Time to Smoke Anything: Experts
Lungs need clean air during a pandemic
- Anytime is a good time to stop smoking or vaping, but health experts say this moment would be especially beneficial. "Quitting during this pandemic could not only save your life, but by preventing the need for your treatment in a hospital, you might also save someone else’s life,...
After Video of
Jan 15, 2020 7:58 AM CST
Teen Babysitters Face Charges After Video of Toddler Vaping
'I'm disgusted,' the little boy's mom says
- A disturbing Snapchat video showing a toddler vaping has led to the arrest of two teens. Per WPXI , authorities say a 17-year-old babysitter and an 18-year-old woman who was with her were watching a 2-year-old boy at a home in St. Clair Township, Pa., on Jan. 9 when one or...
Jan 2, 2020 7:25 PM CST
Trump's Vaping Crackdown Has Big Exceptions
Menthol, tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes can still be sold
- US health officials will begin cracking down on most flavored e-cigarettes that are popular with underage teenagers, but their plan includes major exceptions that benefit vaping manufacturers, retailers and adults who use the nicotine-delivery devices. The Trump administration announced Thursday that it will prohibit fruit, candy, mint and dessert flavors...
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Jan 2, 2020 3:29 PM CST
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Company will stop interviewing, hiring anyone who uses nicotine
- U-Haul International has announced plans to stop interviewing and hiring nicotine users, including people who use e-cigarettes and vaping products, the AP reports. The well-known truck and trailer rental company approved the nicotine-free policy set to go into effect Feb. 1 in more than 20 states where the company operates,...
New Strategy on
Jan 2, 2020 12:37 AM CST
Trump Promises New Strategy on Underage Vaping
Flavor may be removed from market temporarily
- President Trump says the federal government will soon announce a new strategy to tackle underage vaping, promising, "We're going to protect our families, we’re going to protect our children, and we’re going to protect the industry." Trump was vague about what the plan would entail...
Juul Wants People to Vape,
but Not at Its Own Office
Dec 30, 2019 4:44 PM CST
Juul Wants People to Vape, but Not at Its Own Office
Wall Street Journal reports that workers won't stop, despite company crackdown
- An odd story about Juul and vaping is in the news Monday: The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the company is in the unusual position of trying to convince its own workers to stop vaping at the office. However, Juul is apparently not having much luck on that front. “...
Rise in Teen Marijuana
Vaping Is Eye-Popping
Dec 18, 2019 6:33 AM CST
Rise in Teen Marijuana Vaping Is Eye-Popping
Percentage of 12th graders who tried it over the past year nearly doubles
- The good news is that teen alcohol, cigarette, and hard-drug usage is down. But the flip side of the coin is that marijuana and nicotine vaping are sharply up. The National Institute on Drug Abuse's annual Monitoring the Future survey gathers the responses of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders,...
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
Dec 5, 2019 12:02 AM CST
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
'They have deceived and misled Minnesota consumers of all ages'
- Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Juul Labs on Wednesday, accusing the e-cigarette maker of unlawfully targeting young people with its products to get a new generation addicted to nicotine. The lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court in Minneapolis seeks to force Juul to stop marketing to young people;...
Health Official Marks
Grim Vaping Record
Dec 4, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Health Official Marks Grim Vaping Record
Alaska reports its first case of vaping-related health problems
- Now, it's nationwide. Alaska announced Tuesday its first case of vaping-related lung injury—making it the 50th state to do so, CNN reports. "We are fortunate that we haven't identified" such a case "in Alaska until now, but it's not surprising that we have joined...
Trump Backs Off
Nov 18, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Trump Backs Off Vaping Restrictions
2 reports say he was worried about political repercussions
- In September, President Trump said his administration would ban the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes. "We can’t have our kids be so affected," said Trump at the White House, making reference to first lady Melania Trump's concern over the dangers of vaping. Now two reports say...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.