Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Gives Elizabeth Holmes
11 Years for Theranos Fraud
Nov 18, 2022 4:56 PM CST
Judge Gives Elizabeth Holmes 11 Years for Theranos Fraud
Company founder has to report for prison in April
- A federal judge on Friday handed disgraced biotech exec Elizabeth Holmes a prison sentence of more than 11 years for defrauding her investors. Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 15 years after the 38-year-old was convicted earlier this year of misleading investors in her now-defunct Theranos blood-testing company. She had...
Want 15 Years
Nov 13, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Prosecutors Want 15 Years for Holmes
Filing calls for $800M in restitution, while defense argues against prison term
- Lawyers for Elizabeth Holmes, who was convicted in January of investor fraud and conspiracy, have argued that the Theranos founder shouldn't receive a prison term when she's sentenced for her crimes Friday in San Jose. In their court filing, federal prosecutors made clear that they couldn't disagree...
Lab Director's Visit Is No
Game-Changer for Holmes
Nov 8, 2022 11:35 AM CST
Lab Director's Visit Is No Game-Changer for Holmes
Judge denies Theranos founder's request for new trial
- Elizabeth Holmes will be sentenced Nov. 18 after a federal judge on Monday denied her request for a new trial. US District Judge Edward Davila found that the Theranos founder's motions for a new trial did not contain material new evidence or establish government misconduct. Davila postponed Holmes' original...
Is Pregnant Again
Oct 17, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Witness' Unexpected Line: Elizabeth Holmes Is Pregnant Again
Former Theranos exec says so in court during hearing
- Prosecution witness and former Theranos lab director Adam Rosendorff stood by his earlier testimony during a court appearance in Elizabeth Holmes' fraud trial on Monday. Rosendorff's statements could pave the way for Holmes' sentencing in the case, which was postponed after Rosendorff sought to speak with Holmes following the...
Disgraced Theranos Exec
Sunny Balwani Convicted
Jul 7, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
Disgraced Theranos Exec Sunny Balwani Convicted
Jury convicts Elizabeth Holmes' former partner of defrauding investors, patients
- Another conviction in the Theranos scandal : A jury on Thursday convicted former executive Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani of collaborating with CEO Elizabeth Holmes in a massive fraud involving the blood-testing company that once enthralled Silicon Valley. The 12 jurors found Balwani guilty on all 12 felony counts of defrauding both...
Sunny Balwani's Trial Could
Be Key for Elizabeth Holmes
Mar 9, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Sunny Balwani's Trial Could Be Key for Elizabeth Holmes
If he is found guilty, she could potentially use that when arguing for a lighter sentence
- Elizabeth Holmes was found guilty in January of defrauding Theranos investors. Now begins the process of determining whether Theranos' former president and COO is guilty of similar crimes. Jury selection starts Wednesday in the trial of Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, who also had a years-long romantic relationship with Holmes, who...
Sentencing Date Set
for Elizabeth Holmes
Jan 13, 2022 5:09 AM CST
Sentencing Date Set for Elizabeth Holmes
Theranos founder will remain free on $500K bond until Sept. 26 sentencing
- Theranos founder and convicted fraudster Elizabeth Holmes will learn her fate on Sept. 26, according to an order filed by US District Judge Edward J. Davila on Wednesday. Holmes, who turns 38 next month, could face up to 20 years on each of the four fraud charges she was convicted...
It Could Be Years Before
Holmes Goes to Prison
Jan 10, 2022 12:33 PM CST
It Could Be Years Before Holmes Goes to Prison
Appeals process likely to be long, complicated
- After a long, complicated trial for Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, the jury delivered a complicated verdict , which could make the appeals process tricky for her lawyers. The jury found Holmes guilty on four fraud counts, not guilty on four others, and they were deadlocked on three more. Lawyers tell the...
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to
Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Jan 5, 2022 8:23 AM CST
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Still, juror No. 6 Wayne Kaatz says he and his peers didn't find Theranos founder very credible
- On Monday, the jury in the Elizabeth Holmes trial handed down guilty verdicts on four of the fraud and conspiracy charges against the Theranos founder, though it was a "tough" process, one of the jurors now reveals. Wayne Kaatz, aka Juror No. 6, tells ABC News that he and...
'End of an Era'
in Silicon Valley
Jan 4, 2022 2:37 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Verdict Marks 'End of an Era' in Silicon Valley
There is a price to pay for lying, some note in reaction to the verdict
- When Elizabeth Holmes was found guilty on four counts of fraud Monday , it "signaled the end of an era" in Silicon Valley, writes David Streitfeld at the
New York Times
. The tech startup world has long blurred the line between hype and actual achievement, but with the Theranos verdict,...
Jury Finds Holmes Guilty on
4 Fraud, Conspiracy Counts
Jan 3, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Jury Finds Holmes Guilty on 4 Fraud, Conspiracy Counts
Theranos founder faces 20-year terms and fines for each count
- Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes was convicted on four counts of fraud and conspiracy on Monday, ending a lengthy trial that captivated Silicon Valley. The jury found her not guilty of four other felony charges. On the three remaining charges, the jury was deadlocked, the AP reports. The former entrepreneur,...
Holmes Jury Says It Is
Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Jan 3, 2022 2:17 PM CST
Holmes Jury Says It Is Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Judge tells them to keep deliberating
: The jury in the Elizabeth Holmes case was sent back to the deliberation room Monday after they told the judge they were deadlocked on three of the 11 fraud counts against the former Theranos CEO. The jurors—who began deliberations before Christmas—didn't say which of the counts...
Holmes Jury Won't
Have Verdict Before 2022
Dec 30, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Holmes Jury Won't Have Verdict Before 2022
Closed-door meeting suggests plea deal could be in the works for former Theranos CEO
- The jury weighing fraud charges against former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes departed court Wednesday without reaching a verdict after six days of deliberations. It won't resume discussions until after the upcoming New Year's holiday weekend. The eight men and four women on the jury had been expected to...
Theranos Investor Has
Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Dec 16, 2021 11:23 AM CST
Theranos Investor Has Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Marc Ostrofsky plans to sell an NFT of his otherwise worthless stock certificate
- Like a lot of Theranos investors, Marc Ostrofsky lost a hefty sum when the blood-testing company went broke. But Ostrofsky thinks he has a way to get his $150,000 back, and maybe even more. CNBC reports that he plans to sell his Series A stock certificate as a nonfungible...
Dec 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Holmes Ends Her Testimony With Denials
Defense rests, but closing arguments won't take place till Dec. 16
- The defense wrapped up its case in Elizabeth Holmes' trial Wednesday with her declaration that she didn't mislead investors in her blood tech startup—"Never," she said. "You understand they were entitled to truthful answers about Theranos' capabilities?" a prosecutor asked. "Of course," Holmes...
Again Struggles Under
Dec 8, 2021 3:11 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Again Struggles Under Cross-Examination
Theranos founder admits she gave journalist incorrect info
- Elizabeth Holmes was cross-examined again Tuesday in her fraud trial, and admitted under questioning from prosecutors that she gave journalist Roger Parloff incorrect information for his 2014
cover story on Theranos. Reading the statement from the article that Theranos offered 200 finger-prick blood tests and would soon offer more...
Dec 1, 2021 1:22 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Weeps Under Cross-Examination
Cross-examination will continue December 7
- One-time entrepreneur Elizabeth Holmes, under questioning by prosecutors, struggled Tuesday to recall key events that led to her facing criminal fraud charges for allegedly fleecing investors and customers of her failed blood-testing startup Theranos, the AP reports. Her cross-examination began the day after she shared painfully vivid memories of alleged...
Gives Graphic Testimony
Nov 30, 2021 12:32 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Gives Graphic Testimony
Says Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani abused her
- On Monday, Elizabeth Holmes testified to what her defense team has long hinted she would: abuse suffered at the hands of her ex-boyfriend, and the former president and chief operating officer of Theranos, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani. Holmes said she got involved with Balwani shortly after being raped while studying...
Gives 'Stunning' Testimony
Nov 24, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Gives 'Stunning' Testimony
Admits she added Pfizer logo to Theranos reports without drugmaker's authorization
- It was Elizabeth Holmes herself who added the logos of drugmakers Pfizer and Schering-Plough to complimentary Theranos lab reports, the Theranos founder admitted during her third day on the stand at her criminal fraud trial. But, Holmes insisted, she didn't mean to mislead business partners or investors, some of...
Line to Hear
Testify Starts at 1am
Nov 23, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Line to Hear Elizabeth Holmes Testify Starts at 1am
Theranos founder talks about early days of doomed startup
- Elizabeth Holmes took the stand again Monday in her trial on charges of criminal fraud, and the Theranos founder talked about the early days of the blood-testing startup and appeared to try to connect with jurors. Responding to what the AP terms "friendly questions" from her defense team, Holmes...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.