Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Just Made History
Aug 28, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles Just Made History
She won a record 8th US Gymnastics title, and became oldest woman to ever do so
- Simone Biles is not going to explain herself. Part of this is by design. Part of this is because she simply can't. When the gymnastics star is at her best, as she was on Sunday night while winning her record eighth US championship, she feels like she's in...
Returns. It Was
Aug 6, 2023 7:14 AM CDT
Simone Biles Returns. It Was Like She Never Left
After two years away from gymnastics, she smokes the competition at US Classic
- Notice to the world's elite female gymnasts: Simone Biles is back. The 26-year-old returned to competition at the US Classic Saturday after taking two years off for mental health issues and easily dominated, reports
. Biles won the competition by 5 points, an enormous margin—the
2 Big Names Return to
Jun 29, 2023 1:20 AM CDT
2 Big Names Return to Gymnastics Competition
Simone Biles and Sunisa Lee are looking ahead to the 2024 Olympics
- Next year's Summer Olympics in Paris could be particularly epic for fans of US gymnastics: Two huge names are returning to competition, with the Paris games in mind. Simone Biles and Sunisa Lee will participate in the US Classic on Aug. 5 outside Chicago, NPR reports. It's the...
Simone Biles: I'm
'Officially Owens' Now
Apr 23, 2023 6:20 AM CDT
Simone Biles: I'm 'Officially Owens' Now
Star gymnast weds NFL's Jonathan Owens
- It's a high-profile wedding in the world of sports: All-star gymnast Simone Biles married the NFL's Jonathan Owens, reports
. "I do," wrote Biles, 26, in a photo caption she posted on social media. "Officially Owens," she added. Her husband is a 27-year-old...
Biden Awards Medal of
Freedom to Biles, 16 Others
Jul 8, 2022 4:00 AM CDT
Biden Awards Medal of Freedom to Biles, 16 Others
Gymnast is youngest-ever recipient
- President Biden on Thursday presented the nation’s highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to 17 people, including gymnast Simone Biles, the late John McCain, and gun-control advocate Gabby Giffords. "Today, she adds to her medal count," Biden said as he introduced Biles, whose 32 Olympic...
Victims Go After
FBI for $1B
Jun 8, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Simone Biles, Other Nassar Victims Go After FBI for $1B
'Time for the FBI to be held accountable'
- Former Olympic gymnasts, including gold medalist Simone Biles, are among dozens of assault victims who are seeking more than $1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop sports doctor Larry Nassar, lawyers said Wednesday. There's no dispute that FBI agents in 2015 knew that Nassar was accused of...
Simone Biles Got Engaged
on Valentine's Day
Feb 15, 2022 6:13 PM CST
Simone Biles Got Engaged on Valentine's Day
NFL player Jonathan Owens popped the question
- Simone Biles isn't sure if her future holds another Olympics—but it will definitely include a wedding. The four-time Olympic gold medal gymnast announced on Instagram Tuesday that her boyfriend, Houston Texans player Jonathan Owens, had proposed to her on Valentine's Day and it had been the "...
Person of the Year
Dec 13, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Names Its Person of the Year
Elon Musk gets the honors for 2021
magazine has named its Person of the Year for 2021: Elon Musk. "He is reshaping life on Earth and possibly life off Earth as well,"
Editor-In-Chief Edward Felsenthal said Monday on the
show. Musk, of course, is the CEO of Tesla (pushing electric cars) and...
to Focus on
Nov 1, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
NFL Player Is Sidelined to Focus on Mental Health
Calvin Ridley of the Atlanta Falcons is stepping away from the game
- Atlanta Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley says he's stepping away from football, at least temporarily, to focus on his mental health. Ridley was a last-minute scratch from Sunday's game against Carolina, the second game he's missed this season for what the team would only describe as a personal...
Simone Biles Embarks
on 'Career Pivot'
Oct 21, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Simone Biles Embarks on 'Career Pivot'
Gymnast partners with mental health company
- "I'm still scared to do gymnastics." Simone Biles says the anxiety that forced her to withdraw from competition at the Olympics has not retreated. On the
show Thursday, the gymnast said she's OK doing floor exercises, but she still can't manage to do anything...
I Should Have
Sep 28, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: I Should Have Quit Before Olympics
Gymnast talks to 'The Cut'
- In an extensive profile at The Cut , Simone Biles says she should not have competed in the Tokyo Olympics—but that she refused to let abusive team doctor Larry Nassar have that impact on her. "If you looked at everything I’ve gone through for the past seven years,...
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me
Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Sep 15, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Larry Nassar victims speak to Senate Judiciary Committee about botched investigation
- Simone Biles says those involved in the botched FBI investigation of her abuser, former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, need to be "federally prosecuted to the fullest extent." Her Wednesday statement in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee came a day after the
reported that the...
After Days in the Stands, Biles
Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Aug 3, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
After Days in the Stands, Biles Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Gymnast wins a bronze medal, after she'd earlier pulled out of team competition, 4 individual events
- It's been a difficult week for Simone Biles, who pulled out of multiple events at the Summer Olympics to deal with mental health issues after a bout with the "twisties." But the determined gymnast made it back onto the competition floor Tuesday in Tokyo, walking away with...
Looks Like Biles Will Make One
More Olympics Showing
Aug 2, 2021 6:02 AM CDT
Looks Like Biles Will Make One More Olympics Showing
Gymnast set to appear in balance beam finals on Tuesday, though she could still withdraw
- A week after we last saw her compete, Simone Biles will return to the Olympic stage. After pulling out of team competition finals and four individual events— all-around , floor, uneven bars, and vault —to take care of her mental health, saying she was struggling with the "twisties,"...
Aug 1, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Simone Biles' Important Message: 'Text MyKayla'
American MyKayla Skinner didn't fly home from Tokyo as a result, and she just won a silver
- Simone Biles has opted to skip another event, the floor exercise, because of her continuing mental block . The American gymnast now has only one more event in which she might compete, the balance beam, and USA Gymnastics has not said whether she will take part in that competition on Tuesday....
Out of 2 More
Finals in Tokyo
Jul 31, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Biles Pulls Out of 2 More Finals in Tokyo
No vault or uneven bars for gymnast as she focuses on her mental health
- Simone Biles is opting not to defend her Olympic vault title, pulling out of Sunday's event finals for both vault and uneven bars while she focuses on her mental health. The 24-year-old six-time Olympic medalist removed herself from competition during the team finals on Tuesday and sat out Thursday'...
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have
Never Hit Me Like This Before
Jul 30, 2021 9:07 AM CDT
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have Never Hit Me Like This Before
She says it's the worst case she's ever had
- Simone Biles says she's still dealing with a very bad case of the "twisties"—a disconnect between body and brain known as a "gymnast's worst nightmare" —and it's not clear whether she will compete again in Tokyo. In a series of now-deleted Instagram...
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Jul 29, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Star gymnast says outpouring of support shows she's 'more than my accomplishments'
- Simone Biles acknowledged an "outpouring" of love and support Wednesday following her unexpected exit from events at the Tokyo Olympics. Meanwhile, Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz is backtracking on his harsh criticism of the 24-year-old gymnast.
In a since-deleted tweet, Reitz shared video of Kerri Strug performing at
Jul 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Biles Experienced a Gymnast's 'Worst Nightmare’
Gymnasts speak out on the dangers of the 'twisties'
- In describing the shaky landing of her Tuesday vault routine at the Tokyo Olympics—after which Simone Biles withdrew from the team and all-around individual competitions —the world's most decorated gymnast said she'd had "a little bit of the twisties." Considering she was attempting to...
Jul 28, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Simone Biles Drops Out of All-Around
No decision yet on individual events
- The day after Simone Biles removed herself from the Team USA gymnastics final , USA Gymnastics announced she is also exiting Thursday's all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympics. Jade Carey will take the 24-year-old's place, the AP reports. "After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.