Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FBI Raids DC, NYC Homes
of Oligarch With Ties to Putin
Oct 19, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
FBI Raids DC, NYC Homes of Oligarch With Ties to Putin
Aluminum tycoon Oleg Deripaska has also done business with Paul Manafort
- The FBI raided homes linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska Tuesday. The agency didn’t say why they carried out the raids or what they were looking for, saying through a spokesperson only that they were carrying out a "court-authorized law enforcement activity," at a mansion near Embassy...
Trump Issues 26 More Pardons
Dec 23, 2020 7:18 PM CST
Trump Issues 26 More Pardons
They include Stone, Manafort, Kushner father
- President Trump's pardon-palooza continued for a second night Wednesday, when he issued another 26 pardons—including ones for Roger Stone and Paul Manafort, who were convicted of multiple crimes after being indicted during Robert Mueller's investigation. Trump commuted longtime friend Stone's sentence in July , days before he...
Has Dug Up
Sep 21, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
BuzzFeed Has Dug Up Damning Bank Documents
The 'FinCEN files' show how criminals, terrorists, and corrupt leaders use Western banks
- The new Panama Papers are out, and they're just as ugly—if not worse. Leaked government documents show that big banks are laundering untold trillions of dollars for shady operators around the world and getting away with it, BuzzFeed reports. JPMorgan Chase and HSBC appear to be among the...
Senate Panel: Yes, Russia
Interfered in 2016 Election
Aug 18, 2020 11:16 AM CDT
Senate Panel: Yes, Russia Interfered in 2016 Election
But it reaches no conclusion on whether the Trump campaign conspired with Kremlin
- Russia launched an aggressive effort to interfere in the 2016 election on behalf of Donald Trump, and Trump associates who were in regular touch with Russians throughout the campaign were eager to benefit from the help, a Senate panel concluded Tuesday in the fifth and final report in its investigation,...
Paul Manafort Is Out
May 13, 2020 8:18 AM CDT
Paul Manafort Is Out
Former Trump campaign chairman granted house arrest due to coronavirus
- Paul Manafort is out of prison. President Trump's former campaign chairman, sentenced to 7.5 years for tax fraud and conspiracy in March 2019, was released from Loretto federal prison in Pennsylvania early Wednesday owing to the novel coronavirus, according to ABC News and CBS News . Manafort, picked up...
Lawyers: Sending Manafort
Home Is 'Imperative'
Apr 14, 2020 2:54 PM CDT
Lawyers: Sending Manafort Home Is 'Imperative'
They request move to home confinement for Trump's former campaign manager
- Paul Manafort, currently serving a 7.5-year sentence for tax evasion, fraud, and other crimes, wants to go home early—and stay there. Lawyers for President Trump's former campaign chairman have asked the Bureau of Prisons to transfer their client to home confinement because of the coronavirus pandemic,
Manafort Case Gets Tossed
Dec 18, 2019 6:40 PM CST
Manafort Case Gets Tossed
So a hedge against a possible Trump pardon is lost
- A New York judge threw out state mortgage fraud charges against Paul Manafort, ruling Wednesday that the criminal case was too similar to one that has already landed President Trump's former campaign chairman in federal prison, the AP reports. The ruling was a blow to what had widely been...
From Prison to Hospital
Dec 17, 2019 5:28 PM CST
Manafort Taken From Prison to Hospital
Former Trump campaign chairman said to be in stable condition
- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has been hospitalized while serving his federal prison sentence, the AP reports. Manafort, who is serving more than seven years in prison after being convicted as part of the special counsel’s Russia investigation, was moved to the hospital last Thursday from a federal...
Gets 9 Years
Nov 9, 2019 3:05 PM CST
Manafort's Former Son-in-Law Gets 9 Years
Jeffrey Yohai sentenced in schemes totaling more than $13M
- Paul Manafort's former son-in-law has been sentenced in Los Angeles to nine years in prison for pulling a series of schemes totaling more than $13 million, including one that bilked $3 million from actor Dustin Hoffman. US District Judge Andre Birotte Jr. ordered Jeffrey Yohai to pay $6.7...
Report: Ukraine at Crux of
Sep 20, 2019 6:20 AM CDT
Report: Ukraine at Crux of Whistleblower Complaint
Giuliani denies, then admits asking country to investigate Joe Biden
- More details on the whistleblower complaint from an intelligence official about President Trump are beginning to emerge—and they include a possible connection to the 2020 election. Sources tell the
that the complaint centers on Ukraine and may involve a call to the country's president that House...
Heckled at Latest
Jun 27, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
'Bedraggled,' 'Shaggy' Manafort Heckled at Latest Arraignment
Pleads not guilty to state mortgage fraud charges in New York
- Paul Manafort, the imprisoned former chairman of President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign, pleaded not guilty Thursday to New York state mortgage fraud charges that could keep him locked up even if Trump pardons him for federal crimes uncovered during the probe of Russian election meddling, the AP reports. He...
His Take on
'DT' and 'JK'
Jun 22, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Secret Manafort Texts Reveal His Take on 'DT' and 'JK'
And show his strong alliance with Sean Hannity
- In newly unsealed text messages with Sean Hannity, Paul Manafort said he would never "give up" two people to the special counsel—and you can guess who tops the list. "They would want me to give up DT or family, esp JK," Manafort wrote the Fox News...
Out of Rikers,
With Unusual Help
Jun 18, 2019 4:47 PM CDT
Manafort Stays Out of Rikers, With Unusual Help
Barr's deputy intervenes to stop temporary transfer
- Paul Manafort, President Trump's onetime campaign manager, has been spared from a planned transfer to the notorious Rikers Island jail after the Department of Justice stepped in. Manafort, who has been imprisoned in Pennsylvania, was scheduled to be moved to Rikers while awaiting a state trial in New York,...
Reports: Manafort Headed
to 'Worst Place on Earth'
Jun 4, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Reports: Manafort Headed to 'Worst Place on Earth'
He'll be in solitary confinement at Rikers Island for 'protection,' per Fox
- President Trump's former campaign chairman is reportedly headed for what was once described as " the worst place on Earth ." As soon as Thursday, Paul Manafort is to be transferred to New York City's notorious Rikers Island prison and "will be held in solitary confinement for...
Bribed Manafort to Land Job
May 23, 2019 1:35 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Banker Bribed Manafort to Land Job
Stephen Calk of Chicago's Federal Savings Bank faces federal charges
- A Chicago banker caught up in Paul Manafort's orbit now faces serious jail time himself. Stephen Calk of the Federal Savings Bank of Chicago is accused of bribing Manafort by approving $16 million in iffy loans in order to land a post in the Trump administration, reports Bloomberg . Federal...
After Manafort Is Sentenced,
Breaking News: He's Indicted
Mar 13, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
After Manafort Is Sentenced, Breaking News: He's Indicted
He faced up to 10 years for illegal lobbying, got 43 additional months
- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort was on Wednesday sentenced to 73 months—but just 43 of those months additional, reports CNN —with a judge in Washington showing him a small dose of mercy. In what the AP describes as a "calm and steady voice," Manafort read...
Democrats Slam Manafort's
Mar 8, 2019 2:31 AM CST
Democrats Slam Manafort's 'Disgraceful' Sentence
AOC says it shows justice is 'bought'
- Paul Manafort received a sentence far below the federal guideline Thursday, and Democrats are seething. The former Trump campaign chairman was sentenced to 47 months in federal prison for bank fraud and cheating on his taxes, which would have been roughly 20 years if US District Court Judge TS Ellis...
Paul Manafort Receives
His First Sentence
Mar 7, 2019 6:22 PM CST
Paul Manafort Receives His First Sentence
69-year-old gets 47 months in Virginia case; 2nd sentencing in DC is next week
- It could have been much worse: A judge sentenced Paul Manafort to 47 months in prison Thursday over bank and tax fraud , reports Politico . Under federal sentencing guidelines, the 69-year-old could have received more than 20 years, though US District Court Judge TS Ellis deemed that "excessive" and gave...
Feb 24, 2019 6:16 AM CST
Mueller's Sentencing Memo on Manafort Is Harsh
He 'repeatedly and brazenly' broke laws, says special prosecutor's team
- If Robert Mueller has his way, Paul Manafort will likely spend most, if not all, of his remaining days in prison. The special prosecutor released part of a sentencing memo Saturday that was unsparing in its judgment of the 69-year-old. Federal prosecutors say Manafort "repeatedly and brazenly" broke laws...
Even if Manafort
Has a Plan
Feb 22, 2019 3:48 PM CST
Even if Manafort Is Pardoned, New York Has a Plan
State prosecutors may bring their own charges
- Even if Paul Manafort receives a presidential pardon for his federal crimes , he could face state charges that would send him to prison. Manhattan prosecutors have assembled a criminal case against Manafort, President Trump's onetime campaign manager, the
New York Times
reports. Presidents have no pardon power in state...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.