Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Germany to Build Monument
to 'Forgotten Victims' of Nazis
Jun 23, 2023 4:21 AM CDT
Germany to Build Monument to 'Forgotten Victims' of Nazis
Jehovah's Witnesses were 'persecuted, tormented, locked up, and murdered'
- The German parliament has approved the construction of a memorial in Berlin to the Jehovah's Witnesses persecuted under the Nazis, a plan the country's culture minister hopes will help end their status as "forgotten victims." On Thursday evening, lawmakers backed a motion formally calling on the...
Police Were Tipped Off
About Hamburg Shooter
Mar 10, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Police Were Tipped Off About Hamburg Shooter
Officers visited man's home in January, but didn't take his legally-owned weapon
- The man who attacked a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in Hamburg Thursday night killed four men, two women, and the unborn baby of a woman who was seven months pregnant and survived the shooting, police said Friday, per the AP . Police said they received an anonymous tip about the gunman...
Gunman Kills 7 in
Jehovah's Witnesses Hall
Mar 9, 2023 7:22 PM CST
Gunman Kills 7 in Jehovah's Witnesses Hall
Hamburg officials say they don't think the gunman is at large
- Seven people were killed—including an unborn baby—and others were seriously injured in a shooting Thursday night at a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in the German city of Hamburg, police said. The gunman later took his own life in the building, officials said. "We have no indication that...
They Haven't Come
Knocking in 2-Plus
Years. They're Back
Sep 4, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
They Haven't Come Knocking in 2-Plus Years. They're Back
Jehovah's Witnesses making in-person rounds again after a pandemic hiatus since March 2020
- Jehovah's Witnesses have restarted their door-to-door ministry after more than two and a half years on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, reviving a religious practice that the faith considers crucial and cherished. From coast to coast, members of the Christian denomination fanned out in cities and towns Thursday...
A Russian First:
Sent to Prison
Feb 6, 2019 10:15 AM CST
A Russian First: Jehovah's Witness Sent to Prison
Dennis Christensen convicted of extremism
- A regional court in western Russia on Wednesday sentenced a Danish Jehovah's Witness to six years in prison, in arguably the most severe crackdown on religious freedom in Russia in recent years, the AP reports. The court in Oryol found Dennis Christensen, who was leading the local Bible reading,...
Jehovah's Witnesses Paying
$4K a Day to Shield Records
Nov 17, 2017 9:14 AM CST
Jehovah's Witnesses Paying $4K a Day to Shield Records
Court order levies penalty for each day it doesn't turn over documents about alleged abuse
- The Jehovah's Witnesses have a $2 million tab with the state of California that's growing by $4,000 every day, all because the group won't hand over internal documents that detail alleged child sex abuse in its congregations. Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting explains: San...
Russia Orders Disbanding
of Jehovah's Witnesses
Jul 18, 2017 1:59 AM CDT
Russia Orders Disbanding of Jehovah's Witnesses
Government will seize group's Kingdom Halls
- "Religious freedom in Russia is over," a spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses lamented Monday after the country's highest court rejected an appeal against an order banning the group . The ruling means that the religious organization will be forced to close almost 400 local chapters and hand all...
Apr 20, 2017 6:25 PM CDT
Russia Bans Jehovah's Witnesses
The religious group plans to appeal
- Russia's Supreme Court on Thursday banned Jehovah's Witnesses from operating anywhere in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry that the religious organization be considered an extremist group, the AP reports. The court ordered the closure of the group's Russian headquarters and its 395 local...
After New Mom's Death,
Jehovah's Witnesses Take Heat
in case you missed it
Oct 29, 2016 3:49 PM CDT
After New Mom's Death, Jehovah's Witnesses Take Heat
Eloise Dupuis, 27, died of a hemorrhage after she refused blood transfusion
- Jehovah's Witnesses are defending their ban on blood transfusions after the death of a new mom in Quebec this month. Family members of Eloise Dupuis, 27, say she was influenced to decline a potentially lifesaving blood transfusion after a bedside visit by a "hospital liaison committee" of Jehovah'...
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.