Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Rules Trump
Sep 26, 2023 4:48 PM CDT
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Key claim in New York AG's ruling resolved before trial in civil lawsuit
- The trial in New York Attorney General Letitia James' civil lawsuit against Donald Trump is due to begin next week, but a key part of it was resolved Tuesday when a state judge ruled that Trump and his company had committed fraud. Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that it was beyond...
See What Trump
in His 7-Hour
Aug 31, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
See What Trump Talked About in His 7-Hour Deposition
In transcript from April sit-down with New York AG, Trump claims he saved 'millions' from nuclear war
- The civil fraud suit against former President Trump brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James is set to head to trial in October, and now the transcript from his April deposition in that case is revealing what Trump said during his seven-hour interview by James' team. The
NY AG: Judge Should Rule
Trump Committed Fraud Now
Aug 31, 2023 12:15 AM CDT
NY AG: Judge Should Rule Trump Committed Fraud Now
Letitia James is seeking a partial summary judgment in the case
- As he gears up for his criminal trials, former President Trump is set to first face a civil trial in New York on Oct. 2. But State Attorney General Letitia James on Wednesday argued in a court filing that Trump's fraud is so staggering a trial isn't even...
Trump's Company, Cohen Settle
Jul 21, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Trump's Company, Cohen Settle
Lawsuit over legal bills could have put former president's son on the stand
- Donald Trump's company and his former longtime lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen have settled a lawsuit over Cohen's claims that he was unfairly stuck with big legal bills after becoming entangled in investigations into the former president. Lawyers for the two sides disclosed the settlement during a video...
NY AG: Trumps Stalling on
May 4, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
NY AG: Trumps Stalling on Documents—Especially Ivanka
Letitia James' office says former president, kids are hanging on to relevant correspondence in civil case
- Last year, former President Trump was held in contempt of court and ordered to pay a $110,000 fine for not complying with a subpoena from the New York attorney general's office in a civil complaint against him. Now, the office of DA Letitia James is slamming Trump, the...
Court Upholds Trump's
$110K Contempt Fine
Feb 14, 2023 7:12 PM CST
Court Upholds Trump's $110K Contempt Fine
'Once again, the courts have ruled that Donald Trump is not above the law'
- An appeals court in New York has upheld an order finding former President Trump in civil contempt—and a $110,000 fine. Trump paid the $10,000-per-day fine to the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James for non-compliance with a court order, but he went to court to...
Gets Stiffest Fine Possible
in Tax Fraud Case
Jan 13, 2023 10:21 AM CST
Trump Organization Gets Stiffest Fine Possible in Tax Fraud Case
But $1.6M fine isn't that heavy a blow
- Donald Trump’s company was fined $1.6 million Friday as punishment for a scheme in which the former president’s top executives dodged personal income taxes on lavish job perks—a symbolic, hardly crippling blow for an enterprise boasting billions of dollars in assets. A fine was the only...
Judge Regrets Not Giving
Trump Exec Longer Sentence
Jan 10, 2023 2:36 PM CST
Judge Regrets Not Giving Trump Exec Longer Sentence
Allen Weisselberg started serving his 5-month sentence Tuesday
- Allen Weisselberg, a longtime executive for Donald Trump's business empire, was taken into custody Tuesday to begin serving a five-month jail term for dodging taxes on $1.7 million in job perks—a punishment the judge who sentenced him said was probably too lenient. Weisselberg, 75, was promised that...
Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Dec 6, 2022 3:44 PM CST
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
It's a 'consequential' verdict, Manhattan DA says
- In a big win for prosecutors in Manhattan, Donald Trump's family company has been found guilty of tax fraud. After just over a day of deliberations, a jury found the Trump Organization guilty on all 17 counts connected to a 15-year scheme in which top execs were rewarded with...
Trump Hid a Big Loan
Dec 6, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President:
$19.8M debt with Daewoo, firm with ties to N. Korea, should've been listed in financial disclosures
- Donald Trump had a foreign creditor he didn't disclose while running for president, with a debt that was quietly paid off a few months after he took office.
has the documents from his Trump Organization, which were obtained by New York Attorney General Letitia James and/ show the...
Whip Out Surprise
Trump Org Trial
Dec 3, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Paperwork signed by Trump shows he 'explicitly' sanctioned firm's tax fraud scheme, they argue
- On Monday, jurors are set to begin deliberating in the Trump Organization's criminal trial , and they now have a new piece of evidence to mull over the weekend regarding Donald Trump himself. On Friday in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, prosecutors in the trial, which revolves around...
Trump Fights to Retain Control
of Company With New Suit
Nov 3, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Trump Fights to Retain Control of Company With New Suit
He's seeking to block watchdog review of Trump Organization's financial dealings
- Former President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing New York Attorney General Letitia James of breaking the law while waging a "war of intimidation and harassment" against him. James, who's up for reelection, sued Trump, his children, and the Trump Organization for $250 million in September , alleging...
A Look at
Oct 24, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
A Look at the Stakes as Trump Trial Begins
Trump Organization (but not the ex-president) faces criminal charges of tax avoidance
- One of the legal issues Donald Trump has been embroiled in comes to a head on Monday in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan. Jury selection begins in a trial to determine whether the former president's family business empire ran afoul of tax laws. The notable part here:...
for Secret Service
at Trump Hotels
Oct 17, 2022 3:32 PM CDT
Records Show 'Exorbitant' Charges for Secret Service at Trump Hotels
Eric Trump claims rooms were 'either provided at cost, heavily discounted, or for free'
- Secret Service agents protecting Donald Trump and members of his family were regularly charged "exorbitant" rates to stay at Trump hotels, according to a House Oversight Committee investigation that directly contradicts claims made by Eric Trump. The former president's son, who is executive vice president of the Trump...
Trump Forms New Company,
Bringing Action From New York
Oct 13, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Trump Forms New Company, Bringing Action From New York
James raises possibility Trump Organization II was started to avoid punishment from fraud suit
- Donald Trump's business operation was hit with a new accusation Thursday when New York's attorney general told a court that the former president might be trying to dodge any punishment resulting from her fraud lawsuit—partly by starting a new company. Letitia James' office wrote in the filing...
Trump Lawsuit Likely to
Follow Familiar Pattern
Sep 21, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Trump Lawsuit Likely to Follow Familiar Pattern
New York AG is 'targeting Trump’s old occupation, not his new one'
- New York's attorney general is suing Donald Trump , along with three of his children and the Trump Organization—but the former president's future is likely to be determined by voters, not lawsuits, Philip Bump writes at the
. He notes that the Letitia James suit, which alleges...
Trump's Former Money Guy
Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Aug 18, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Allen Weisselberg, 75, also may have to testify about Trump Organization
- A top executive at former President Trump's family business pleaded guilty Thursday to evading taxes in a deal that could potentially make him a star witness against the company at a fall trial, per the AP . Former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg pleaded guilty to all 15 of the...
Trump's Finance Chief
Expected to Plead Guilty
Aug 16, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Trump's Finance Chief Expected to Plead Guilty
Allen Weisselberg said to be negotiating plea deal in tax evasion case
- Former President Trump’s longtime finance chief is expected to plead guilty as soon as Thursday in a tax evasion case that is the only criminal prosecution to arise from a long-running investigation into the former president’s company, three people familiar with the matter told the AP . Trump Organization...
President Is Being
Aug 10, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Former president complains he's 'being attacked from all sides' ahead of NY deposition
- Former President Trump will sit for a deposition —one he has fought for months—on Wednesday as part of the final stage of the New York investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices. For the past three years, New York attorney general Letitia James' lawyers have been investigating...
Judge on Trump's
Where Are All
Apr 30, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Judge on Trump's Contempt Charge: Where Are All the Post-Its?
Trump claims in affidavit he doesn't have docs sought by subpoena; Justice Arthur Engoron rejects that
- Donald Trump's legal team continues to try to get him out of being held in contempt of court , but on Friday, a New York judge wasn't biting. On Monday, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron held the former president in contempt and ordered him to pay a $10,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.