Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Macron Received a Most
Unusual Package in the Mail
Jul 13, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Macron Received a Most Unusual Package in the Mail
Severed finger from living human arrived at Elysee Palace on Monday, sans note
- The last time that "Emmanuel Macron" and "finger" appeared in a headline together, it was due to commotion over a selfie he'd taken with two young men, one of whom flipped the bird in the photo. This time around, the finger in question is a bit more...
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests
Amid 4th Night of Violence
Jul 1, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests Amid 4th Night of Violence
Rioting in France spurred by fatal police shooting of 17-year-old in the Paris suburb of Nanterre
- Rioting raged in cities around France for a fourth night despite a huge police deployment and 1,311 arrests, with cars and buildings set ablaze and stores looted, as family and friends prepared Saturday to bury the 17-year-old whose killing by police unleashed the unrest. France's Interior Ministry announced...
Macron Slams 'Inexcusable'
Killing of Teen at Traffic Stop
Jun 28, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Macron Slams 'Inexcusable' Killing of Teen at Traffic Stop
Video shows officer who shot 17-year-old may have lied about the circumstances
- French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm Wednesday while denouncing the "inexplicable and inexcusable" killing of a teenager during a traffic stop in a Paris suburb. A 17-year-old delivery driver identified as Nael M. was shot Tuesday by an officer who appeared to lie about the circumstances afterward, the...
Retirement Plan Is a Go
Apr 14, 2023 1:16 PM CDT
Macron's Despised Retirement Plan Is a Go
Top court signed off on plan on Friday
- There have been 12 days of protests organized over the past three months against French President Emmanuel Macron's decision to up the retirement age from 62 to 64, and a 13th—and more beyond that—are looking likely. France's top court on Friday approved the unpopular plan and...
Apr 11, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Macron Continues Push for 'European Sovereignty'
But he's facing a lot of criticism on both sides of the Atlantic
- After French President Emmanuel Macron warned that Europe shouldn't let the US drag it into conflict with China over Taiwan, Sen. Marco Rubio wondered whether Macron was speaking only for France or for all of Europe. Based on the reaction being rounded up in various outlets—at least from...
Macron's Warning to Europe:
Don't Be 'America's Followers'
Apr 10, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Macron's Warning to Europe: Don't Be 'America's Followers'
French president is worried about tension over Taiwan; Graham open to using US forces
- Tensions between the US and China over Taiwan continue to ratchet up. The latest example came over the weekend when GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham said he is "very much open to using US forces to defend Taiwan, because it is in our national security interest to do so,"...
Xi to Talk Sense
Apr 6, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Macron Urges Xi to Talk Sense Into Russia
Russia expresses no hope for peace negotiations
- On a state visit to Beijing, French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday pressured Chinese President Xi Jinping to help persuade Russia to end its invasion of Ukraine. "I know I can count on you to bring Russia to its senses, and bring everyone back to the negotiating table,"...
Macron Narrowly Survives
Mar 20, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Macron Narrowly Survives No-Confidence Vote
Deeply unpopular change to retirement age will now become law
- The government of French President Emanuel Macron survived two no-confidence votes Monday, either of which could have brought down the government and its deeply unpopular plan to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64. The first vote, tabled by centrist lawmakers in the National Assembly, narrowly failed with 278...
A Look at Why
France Is Seething
Mar 17, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
A Look at Why France Is Seething
Pride in pension system, Macron's broken promise inspire street protests
- The pension changes being forced into law in France are doing more than raise the retirement age—they're testing the people's faith in government in more than one way. The pension system, including its current retirement age of 62, is a point of pride there. Every worker receives...
Macron Bypasses Parliament,
Raises Retirement Age
Mar 16, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
Macron Bypasses Parliament, Raises Retirement Age
It's now up from from 62 to 64, in risky move on unpopular plan in France
- French President Emmanuel Macron shunned Parliament and opted to push through a highly unpopular bill that would raise the retirement age from 62 to 64 by triggering a special constitutional power on Thursday. The risky move is expected to trigger a quick no-confidence motion in Macron's government. The decision...
Macron Defends Pension Plan
to Farmers, Fairgoers
Feb 25, 2023 12:55 PM CST
Macron Defends Pension Plan to Farmers, Fairgoers
Raising the retirement age will save the system, president insists
- President Emmanuel Macron sought to defend his unpopular pension plan Saturday in an effort to show he hears concerns of farmers and other ordinary citizens at France's biggest farm fair. The pension changes meant to raise the minimum retirement age from 62 to 64, and other measures, were among...
This Nation to Make Condoms
Free for Anyone 25 and Under
Dec 10, 2022 9:30 AM CST
This Nation to Make Condoms Free for Anyone 25 and Under
They'll be available to young people, even minors, in pharmacies across France starting Jan. 1
- Young people of France, rejoice—you're about to start the new year with free condoms. President Emmanuel Macron has announced that, starting Jan. 1, anyone up to and including 25 years of age will be able to find the rubber contraceptive device at no charge in pharmacies across the...
on White House for
Biden's First State Dinner
Dec 2, 2022 6:29 AM CST
Celebs Descend on White House for Biden's First State Dinner
President hosted French leader at glitzy event
- Glamour returned to the White House Thursday night as President Biden hosted his first state dinner. It was the first one the building has seen since September 2019, when then-President Trump hosted Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison. As with the first state dinner of Trump's presidency, the guest of...
Biden Sets Terms for Talks
With Putin About Ukraine
Dec 1, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Biden Sets Terms for Talks With Putin About Ukraine
Macron says he expects another conversation with Russian leader soon
- President Biden said Thursday he's willing to talk with Russian President Vladimir Putin about stopping the fighting in Ukraine—under certain conditions he said Putin has not yet met. The president made the comments at the White House while hosting French President Emmanuel Macron. The war in Ukraine has...
Russian Pranksters Trick
Polish Leader. Again
Nov 22, 2022 11:31 AM CST
Russian Pranksters Trick Polish Leader. Again
This time, callers pose as French leader Macron
- Russian comedians pretending to be the French president tricked the Polish president, Andrzej Duda, into giving them sensitive information after a missile exploded in eastern Poland last week. Duda's office confirmed on Tuesday that he was put through last week to a person claiming to be France's president,...
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate
March Against Inflation
Oct 16, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Macron Rivals, Nobel Laureate March Against Inflation
Demonstrators increase pressure on government
- Thousands of protesters, including France's newly crowned Nobel literature laureate, piled into the streets of Paris on Sunday, in a show of anger against the bite of rising prices and pressure on the government of President Emmanuel Macron. The march for wage increases and other demands was organized by...
Ukrainian Nuclear Plant
Shuts Down Last Reactor
Sep 11, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Ukrainian Nuclear Plant Shuts Down Last Reactor
Reconnected power lines will be used for cooling No. 6, operator says
- The operator of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia power plant, now held by Russian forces, announced Sunday they're shutting down its last operating reactor. Energoatom said electrical power is again flowing to the plant, which will be used to cool Reactor No. 6, NPR reports. For several days, the reactor has...
Report: Trump Claimed to Have
Inside Info on Macron's Sex Life
Aug 30, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Report: Trump Claimed to Have Inside Info on Macron's Sex Life
There may be a connection to document seized from Mar-a-Lago
describes Donald Trump as a "notorious gossip peddler"—and it reports that after the FBI search on his Mar-a-Lago estate, some are wondering whether he shared salacious material from intelligence briefings. Sources tell
that during and after his time as president, Trump boasted...
Macron Addresses French Role
in Sending Children to Deaths
Jul 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Macron Addresses French Role in Sending Children to Deaths
President denounces Nazi collaborators and promises to end Holocaust denial
- French President Emmanuel Macron decried his Nazi-collaborator predecessors and rising antisemitism, vigorously vowing to stamp out Holocaust denial as he paid homage Sunday to thousands of French children sent to death camps 80 years ago for one reason alone: They were Jewish. Family by family, house by house, French police...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.