Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dogs Gifted by
Kim Jong Un
Are Now in Zoo
Dec 12, 2022 5:31 PM CST
Dogs Gifted by Kim Jong Un Are Now in Zoo
There was a dispute in South Korea over who should pay for the care of the Pangjun dogs
- A pair of dogs gifted by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un four years ago ended up at a zoo in South Korea after a dispute over who should finance the caring of the animals. Kim had given the two white Pungsan hunting dogs—a breed indigenous to North Korea—...
Ex-SK Leader Giving Up
Kim Jong Un's Gifts
Nov 8, 2022 7:33 AM CST
Ex-SK Leader Giving Up Kim Jong Un's Gifts
Moon Jae-in is embroiled in odd row over Pungsan dogs—not with Kim, but with SK government
- In May, Moon Jae-in left office in South Korea, taking his two dogs, Gomi and Songgang, with him. Now, he's giving up the pair of Pungsan pups, a gift from Kim Jong Un, in an odd row not with Kim, but with the current Seoul government. The BBC notes...
Kim Swaps Goodbye Letters
With South Korea's Moon
Apr 22, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
Kim Swaps Goodbye Letters With South Korea's Moon
He thanks outgoing South Korean president for working toward peace
- Kim Jong Un had warm parting words for his South Korean rival, whose government North Korean officials previously called idiotic. The AP reports the North Korean leader thanked President Moon Jae-in for working to improve relations between the two countries over his single five-year term, which will end May 10,...
South Korea President
Pardons Jailed Predecessor
Dec 24, 2021 9:11 AM CST
South Korea President Pardons Jailed Predecessor
Park Guen-hye was 5 years into 20-year sentence
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Friday he will pardon his chief conservative rival and predecessor, Park Geun-hye, who is serving a lengthy prison term for bribery and other crimes. Moon’s liberal government said the pardon is meant to promote national unity in the face of difficulties brought by...
South Korea May Side
With Dogs Over Tradition
Sep 27, 2021 7:20 AM CDT
South Korea May Side With Dogs Over Tradition
President suggests it's time to prohibit the consumption of dog meat
- South Korea's president is a dog guy, and he wants the country to follow suit. Moon Jae-in said Monday the government should consider banning the consumption of dog meat, reports Bloomberg . "Hasn't the time come?" Moon asked during a weekly briefing with Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum, per...
His Case Helped
Oust a President.
Now He's Free
Aug 13, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
His Case Helped Oust a President. Now He's Free on Parole
Samsung's Lee Jae-yong out of prison after 18 months of 30-month sentence
- Samsung leader Lee Jae-yong walked out of prison Friday a year early, in a parole decision showing the conglomerate's outsize influence in South Korea. Lee left the prison near Seoul to a barrage of camera flashes and bowed in apology over the anger ignited by his case, related to...
'Big Stride' Made in
Relationship Between Koreas
Jul 27, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
'Big Stride' Made in Relationship Between Koreas
Nations restore dormant communication channels after letters between Kim Jong Un, Moon Jae-in
- North and South Korea exchanged messages Tuesday in communication channels that have been dormant for more than a year and agreed to improve ties—positive steps, but ones that still leave any resumption of stalled negotiations to rid the North of its nuclear weapons a long way off. Liaison officials...
Kim Jong Un's
Sis Attacks World
Raised by America'
Mar 30, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Sis Attacks World Leader: 'Parrot Raised by America'
Kim Yo Jong slams S. Korean President President Moon Jae-in after backlash on missile tests
- The sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is again throwing around insults . Kim Yo Jong referred to South Korea's leader as a "parrot raised by America" on Tuesday following critiques of the North's ballistic missile launches . President Moon Jae-in said the "undesirable" actions, in...
Kim Jong Un
Offers Rare Apology
Sep 25, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Offers Rare Apology
North Korean leader says he regrets the killing of a South Korean citizen
- Kim Jong Un has offered a rare apology for what the BBC describes as the first killing of a South Korean citizen by the North in a decade. The South Korean government official may have been trying to defect to North Korea when he disappeared from a government ship, leaving...
North Korea: We're
Sending in the Troops
Jun 17, 2020 8:24 AM CDT
North Korea: We're Sending in the Troops
Country vows to resume military exercises, reestablish guard posts near southern border
- South Korea's unification minister is offering to resign a day after North Korea blew up the joint liaison office on its side of the border and accused its neighbor of acting like a "mongrel dog." Kim Yeon-chul put forth his resignation while claiming responsibility for worsening relations...
Just Blew Up
Jun 16, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
North Korea Just Blew Up Liaison Office With South
North Korea blows up joint liaison office with South Korea in North's city of Kaesong
- Kim Yo Jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, issued an ominous-sounding warning over the weekend, and it looks like she's made good on her word: the North blew up the joint liaison office it shared with South Korea in the North Korean border city of...
S. Korea Goes Code Red
Feb 23, 2020 8:53 AM CST
S. Korea Goes Code Red
Calls for 'unprecedented, powerful' steps in fight against coronavirus
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Sunday he was putting his country on code "Red," its highest alert for infectious diseases, and ordered officials to take “unprecedented, powerful” steps to fight the coronavirus outbreak that has infected more than 600 people in the country, mostly in the...
Kim Jong Un Sends
Condolences to South
Oct 31, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Sends Condolences to South
But gesture over death of president's mother comes amid new missile tests
- Two moves by the North Korean regime illustrate the state of diplomacy on the Korean peninsula. On the hopeful side, Kim Jong Un sent condolences across the border to South Korean President Moon Jae-in over the death of Moon's 92-year-old mother, reports Reuters . At the same time, the North...
S. Korean Pols
Up the Razors
Sep 18, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
S. Korean Pols Are Miffed. They're Revving Up the Razors
It's a protest against newly appointed justice minister hit with corruption allegations
- Some people take to the streets with placards and T-shirts to protest. In South Korea, they shave their heads. Conservative opposition leader Hwang Kyo-ahn is the latest big name to go bald, allowing himself to be shorn Monday evening outside the presidential palace to demonstrate against the newly appointed justice...
N. Korea Fires Projectiles,
Rules Out Talks With South
Aug 16, 2019 12:40 AM CDT
N. Korea Fires Projectiles, Rules Out Talks With South
Pyongyang mocks Moon's call for dialogue
- North Korea on Friday bluntly criticized South Korean President Moon Jae-in for continuing to hold military exercises with the US and over his rosy comments on inter-Korean diplomacy, and said Pyongyang has no current plans to talk with Seoul. The statement by an unidentified government spokesman came hours before South...
Kim Jong Un, Putin
Pen End-of-Year Letters
Dec 30, 2018 7:06 AM CST
Kim Jong Un, Putin Pen End-of-Year Letters
And send them to other world leaders
- Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin have racked up plenty of headlines in 2018, and they end the year with one more: Both sent New Year letters that are attracting attention, the former to South Korean President Moon Jae-in, the latter to President Trump. Moon described Kim's letter...
Here Is the
of the Year
Dec 10, 2018 12:14 PM CST
Here Is the Shortlist for Person of the Year
At least in the eyes of Time magazine
will choose its Person of the Year on Tuesday, and a short list out Monday has the usual suspects, along with a few surprises. The person (or group) will be announced during the
program. Here are the 10 finalists:
Christine Blasey Ford
Kim Jong Un to Pope: Come
Visit Me in North Korea
Oct 9, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un to Pope: Come Visit Me in North Korea
A visit is considered 'highly unlikely,' though S. Korea's Moon Jae-in will still deliver the invite
- Moon Jae-in will visit the Vatican next week, and the South Korean leader will go bearing a special invite for Pope Francis. The
New York Times
reports Moon will serve as the messenger for Kim Jong Un, who's requesting that the pontiff pay him a visit in North Korea....
Korean Leaders Pose
on Peak of Sacred Volcano
Sep 20, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Korean Leaders Pose on Peak of Sacred Volcano
Moon flies home after 3-day summit
- The leaders of the rival Koreas took to the road for the final day of their summit Thursday, standing on the peak of a beautiful volcano considered sacred in the North and a centerpiece of propaganda used to legitimize the Kim family's rule, their hands clasped and raised in...
N. Korea Signs
'Very Exciting Deal'
Sep 19, 2018 4:02 AM CDT
N. Korea Signs 'Very Exciting Deal'
It includes missile site shutdown, joint Olympic bid
- The leaders of the two Koreas have signed what President Trump calls a "very exciting" agreement on the second day of a three-day summit in Pyongyang . South Korean President Moon Jae-in announced in a joint press conference with Kim Jong Un that they had agreed to turn the peninsula...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.