Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More People Than Ever
Are Living on the Street
Aug 19, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
More People Than Ever Are Living on the Street
A lack of affordable housing is resulting in a record spike in homelessness
- Back in 2019, the US homeless population jumped 2.7% from the previous year, the highest mark on record to date. This year, that mark will be obliterated, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Its investigation projects an increase of 11%. Based on a survey of data from groups that help...
Man Who Hosed Homeless
Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Jul 20, 2023 2:15 AM CDT
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Collier Gwin says what he did was wrong, but officials need to do something about the city
- The San Francisco gallery owner who was recorded hosing down a homeless woman camped out on the sidewalk and later charged with battery over the incident is speaking out. In a piece at the
Wall Street Journal
, Collier Gwin admits he lost his temper and shouldn't have sprayed the...
William Sees Finland as Model
to End Homelessness
Jun 26, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
William Sees Finland as Model to End Homelessness
Prince launches initiative in the UK, cites his mother as influence
- Prince William launched a five-year project to end long-term homelessness in the United Kingdom on Monday, saying he wants to make sure that instances of people being left without a roof over their heads are "rare, brief, and unrepeated." The heir to the throne will announce details of...
New York City Enacts
'Homeless Bill of Rights'
May 31, 2023 2:46 PM CDT
New York City Enacts 'Homeless Bill of Rights'
A new law reaffirms New Yorkers' right to sleep outdoors, with restrictions
- New York Mayor Eric Adams allowed a “Homeless Bill of Rights” to become law over the weekend, reports the AP , a step supporters say will strengthen legal protections for the unhoused in a city struggling with a record number of people in its shelter system. The measure passed the...
NY Senate Yanks Nomination
Over Bogus Veteran Story
May 24, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
NY Senate Yanks Nomination Over Bogus Veteran Story
Sharon Toney-Finch is embroiled in controversy over fabricated story
- Sharon Toney-Finch—a veteran and director of the YIT Foundation , which helps veterans and babies born prematurely—has found herself in the center of a controversy that has swept across the state of New York and led state Senate Democrats to rescind her "Women of Distinction" nomination, reports Mid...
New York City Was Monitoring
Jordan Neely, but Not That Day
May 13, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
New York City Was Monitoring Jordan Neely, but Not That Day
Death of someone on a watch list shows flaws in the support system, advocates say
- Jordan Neely, who died after being placed in a chokehold by another New York City subway passenger, was on a city task force's list of people most at risk of harm. Homeless outreach workers who encounter people on the list are supposed to notify city officials and place them...
Homeless People Face
a Scary Health Crisis
Feb 26, 2023 2:40 PM CST
Homeless People Face a Scary Health Crisis
Slate: One woman's death from cancer suggests ways things can be improved
- It's a story pegged around the confluence of some eye-opening stats: The life expectancy of homeless people is roughly 20 years less than others, and the number of people being driven to homelessness is rising in the US, writes Lori Teresa Yearwood at Slate . This might help explain why...
SF Man Recorded
Turning Hose on
Jan 11, 2023 12:27 PM CST
SF Man Recorded Turning Hose on Homeless Woman
Collier Gwin could face assault charge
- A man filmed hosing down a homeless woman on the streets of San Francisco initially told KGO that he found it "hard to apologize." Indeed, he suggested to the
San Francisco Chronicle
that he'd do it again. A video of Monday's incident quickly went viral , with...
In Freezing Weather,
Worker Throws Water
on Homeless Woman
Dec 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Freezing Weather, Worker Throws Water on Homeless Woman
Baton Rouge worker was fired from store, faces criminal charge
- A worker at a convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was fired and charged with a misdemeanor after video emerged of her throwing a bucket of water on a homeless woman sitting outside the store on a freezing cold day. The video shows 33-year-old Kasey Weber shouting "move it"...
Woman Sues After Arrest:
City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Oct 28, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Woman Sues After Arrest: City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Norma Thornton violated ordinance in Bullhead City, Ariz., by feeding homeless people
- An elderly Arizona woman is the first person to be arrested under a city ordinance after she shared food with people in need in a public park—and the first now to sue her hometown over that ordinance, per the AP . Norma Thornton, a 78-year-old retired restaurant owner, was arrested...
Against Homeless Called
Aug 30, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Township's Move Against Homeless Called 'Extremely Extreme'
Activists say Lakewood, New Jersey, could have built a shelter rather than cut down shade trees
- The township of Lakewood, New Jersey, is facing criticism for what activists say is an "extremely extreme" move to deter homeless people from congregating in the town square. Mayor Ray Coles said the township opted to cut down shade trees, based on a recommendation from police, after numerous complaints...
4 Bears Killed in Campground
Reserved for Homeless
Jul 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
4 Bears Killed in Campground Reserved for Homeless
People moved to park after Anchorage closed pandemic mass shelter
- Alaska wildlife officials have killed four black bears in a campground recently reserved for people in Anchorage who are homeless after the closure of the city's largest shelter. Employees from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Tuesday killed a sow, her two cubs, and another adult bear...
Cops Offer Reward
Set on Fire
May 26, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Cops Offer Reward After Chicago's 'Walking Man' Set on Fire
Homeless man Joseph Kromelis, a city fixture for decades, was attacked while sleeping on street
- A homeless man known to Chicago locals for decades as the "Walking Man" was severely burned this week after a brutal attack as he slept on the street. Police say 75-year-old Joseph Kromelis, was lying on the ground in the city's River North neighborhood around 3am Wednesday when...
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler
as Example for the Homeless
Apr 15, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
Tenn. Lawmaker Cites Hitler as Example for the Homeless
Frank Niceley: After living on streets, Hitler 'went on to lead life that got him in the history books'
- A Republican lawmaker in Tennessee stunned his colleagues Wednesday when he shared the story of a homeless man who turned his life around—Adolf Hitler. During a debate on a bill banning homeless encampments on public property, State Sen. Frank Niceley told lawmakers he "wanted to give a little...
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted
for Shooting Homeless Men
Mar 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted for Shooting Homeless Men
Man is in custody in Washington after attacks there, in NYC that left 2 dead, 3 injured
A man is in custody in connection with a series of shootings of homeless men in New York City and Washington, DC. The district's Metropolitan Police Department tweeted that the man was arrested early Tuesday in Washington and was being interrogated by homicide investigators. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser...
Back From Homelessness,
Woman Faced $54K Debt
Dec 29, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Back From Homelessness, Woman Faced $54K Debt
Lori Teresa Yearwood writes that the most vulnerable are punished by fines and fees
- When Lori Teresa Yearwood emerged from homelessness, she wasn't immediately stepping back into a life of independence. She was bound by debt, a pile of fines and fees that she'd incurred over the past two years totaling more than $54,000. In clearing that debt, Yearwood writes in...
Aug 5, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Stroke Ended the All-Star Career of JR Richard
Astros star later overcame homelessness
- JR Richard, a star starting pitcher for the Houston Astros during the 1970s whose career was ended by a stroke, died Wednesday. He was 71, Click2Houston reports. In a statement, the Astros said Richard "will forever be remembered as an intimidating figure on the mound and as one of...
Judge Orders LA to
Provide Shelter for
Everyone on Skid Row
Apr 20, 2021 5:53 PM CDT
Judge Orders LA to Provide Shelter for Everyone on Skid Row
He gives city 180-day deadline
- A federal judge overseeing a sweeping lawsuit about homelessness in Los Angeles on Tuesday ordered the city and county to find shelter for all unhoused residents of Skid Row within 180 days and audit any spending related to the out-of-control crisis of people living on the streets. In a fiery...
Gets Help From
Some Big Names
Dec 9, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Cyndi Lauper's Youth Benefit Gets Help From Some Big Names
Billie Eilish, Dolly Parton, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift, Cher join annual homelessness event
- Taylor Swift, Cher, Billie Eilish, LL Cool J, and Dolly Parton are adding their voices to Cyndi Lauper's annual concert to combat youth homelessness, an issue the "True Colors" singer says has only gotten worse during the pandemic. "You can say, 'Stay home, protect yourself.'...
Waging War on ...
Dec 2, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Portlanders Waging War on ... Port-a-Potties
Units are meant to benefit the homeless population
- Residents of Portland, Ore., should "take a minute to think about what it would be like to not have working plumbing in their homes … before sending profanity-laden threats." That's the message from Heather Hafer, a public information officer, whose initial excitement at $75,000 per month...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.