Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
McCarthy Is Ready to
Wipe Trump's Record Clean
Jun 24, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
McCarthy Is Ready to Wipe Trump's Record Clean
GOP House speaker says he supports conservative effort to expunge former president's 2 impeachments
- Former President Donald Trump was the first US president to have two impeachments under his belt, and he might become the first one to have two impeachments wiped from his history—at least, that's the hope of some conservatives who are pushing to make sure that happens. GOP House...
Open to Trump
Jan 12, 2023 4:10 PM CST
McCarthy: I'm Open to Trump Expungements
New speaker says it's not a priority, but he'd consider clearing impeachment record
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who once said Donald Trump "bears responsibility" for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, said Thursday he'd consider pursuing expungement of impeachment from the former president's record. Republican House members have introduced resolutions in the past calling for expungement—before the party...
This House Race Winner
Is in Rare Company
Nov 22, 2022 6:22 AM CST
This House Race Winner Is in Rare Company
Rep. David Valadao is one of only two Republicans who voted to impeach who will be returning
- Another close House race got called Monday night by the AP , and this one has some notable implications. Rep. David Valadao defeated Democrat Rudy Salas in California, making him only the second GOP House member who voted to impeach former President Trump to win reelection, notes the
New York Times
Rioter Who Grabbed
Pelosi's Lectern Is 'Ashamed'
Feb 25, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Rioter Who Grabbed Pelosi's Lectern Is 'Ashamed'
Adam Johnson sentenced to 75 days over the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol
A Capitol rioter photographed with Nancy Pelosi's lectern is going to prison, though not for long. A federal judge on Friday sentenced Adam Johnson of Florida to 75 days in prison, plus a $5,000 fine for his role in the Jan. 6 events, reports NBC News . Johnson...
Alexander Vindman Sues
Over Alleged Retaliation
Feb 2, 2022 10:56 AM CST
Alexander Vindman Sues Over Alleged Retaliation
Files suit against Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani, Dan Scavino, Julia Hahn
- Retired Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman is citing the 1871 Ku Klux Klan Act in a lawsuit he filed against Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani, and two former White House officials in connection with then-President Donald Trump's 2019 impeachment. Vindman alleges the two men, along with former White House Deputy...
House Republican Who Voted
to Impeach Trump Bows Out
Sep 17, 2021 2:30 AM CDT
House Republican Who Voted to Impeach Trump Bows Out
US Rep. Anthony Gonzalez won't run for re-election
- One of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach former President Trump for his role in inciting the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol announced Thursday night he will not seek reelection in Ohio next year, the AP reports. Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, a former NFL player with a once-bright...
Jul 16, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
Cheney's Anti-Trump Vote Isn't Hurting Her Fundraising
She and other GOP lawmakers who voted for impeachment did well in first quarter
- Republicans who voted to impeach former President Trump seem to be having no trouble raising campaign funds. Second-quarter donations to the 10 House members who bucked their party after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have them all outpacing their challengers and "flush with cash," per the
Apple Had to Hand Over Data
on Sitting White House Counsel
Jun 13, 2021 5:53 PM CDT
Apple Had to Hand Over Data on Sitting White House Counsel
In 2018, Justice Department issued subpoena for data of Donald McGahn
- Apple recently revealed that then-President Trump’s Department of Justice had come to them with subpoenas for data on congressional Democrats. Now the company has revealed that it turned over data for Trump’s own White House counsel, too. The company told Donald McGahn and his wife that it...
Vowed to Pay
Legal Fees. Then
May 24, 2021 11:28 AM CDT
Suit: Pompeo Vowed to Pay Legal Fees. Then 'Everything Changed'
Trump impeachment witness Gordon Sondland sues ex-secretary of state, US for $1.8M
- He was a standout witness in the first Trump impeachment trial. Now, Gordon Sondland is once again making headlines, thanks to a lawsuit he's filed over his testimony in the 2019 proceedings. The former US ambassador to the European Union is suing ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, as well...
in GOP Would
Feb 16, 2021 2:55 PM CST
Poll: Most in GOP Would Back Trump
Support for 2024 run rebounds after Senate acquittal
- Donald Trump has left the White House—and public view, for the most part—but indications are his base of support is not going anywhere. A poll conducted as his Senate impeachment trial ended in acquittal has found that 54% of Republican voters would back Trump in a 2024 presidential...
Romney Called 'Deep State'
Agent in Censure Motion
Feb 16, 2021 12:13 PM CST
Romney Called 'Deep State' Agent in Censure Motion
However, GOP leaders in Utah come to his defense
- To get a sense of the debate now underway within the GOP, look no further than Utah. Some state Republicans are circulating a motion online calling for Mitt Romney to be censured for voting to convict former President Trump in his second impeachment trial . At the same time, however, party...
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit
Over the Capitol Attack
Feb 16, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit Over the Capitol Attack
Rep. Bennie Thompson and NAACP's suit also names Rudy Giuliani, white supremacist groups
- He was acquitted in his impeachment trial, but Donald Trump now faces threats from the courts in regard to the Capitol riot. On Tuesday, the first such threat from a member of Congress emerged in the form of a lawsuit by Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, reports Politico . The...
Feb 16, 2021 9:46 AM CST
McConnell: Trump's Behavior 'Unconscionable'
But minority leader defends his vote to acquit former president
- So much for Sen. Ron Johnson's hope that Mitch McConnell would "zip his lips" on former President Trump . The Senate minority leader has penned a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed accusing Trump of inciting insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6 while also defending his vote to acquit the...
Sen. Ron Johnson: Riot
Was Not an 'Insurrection'
Feb 16, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Sen. Ron Johnson: Riot Was Not an 'Insurrection'
'This didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me,' says Wisconsin senator
- Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson is striking a new theme about the Jan. 6 Capitol riot : It was bad, but nowhere near as bad as Democrats say. The staunch Trump supporter accused Democrats of presenting "highly selectively edited" videos during the impeachment trial to exaggerate the threat, reports the Hill...
Got a Letter
From Family After
Feb 16, 2021 2:19 AM CST
GOP Lawmaker Got a Letter From Family After Ditching Trump
'I wanted Adam to be shunned,' cousin Karen Otto says
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger, who voted to impeach then-President Trump and warned his fellow Republicans that it's "time to choose," may be risking his career by standing up for what he believes, the
New York Times
reports in an extensive piece on the lawmaker. Kinzinger, who was censured...
Could Trump Win Again?
Feb 15, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Could Trump Win Again?
'Wall Street Journal' editorial page says no, but not everybody is counting him out
- Impeachment acquittal No. 2 is in the books , and former President Trump says his movement has just begun to fight. But what does that mean in practical terms for Trump himself? A look at some of the opinions in circulation:
The conservative editorial page of the
Wall Street Journal
Vandals Go After Home of
Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Feb 15, 2021 7:57 AM CST
Vandals Go After Home of Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Driveway of Michael van der Veen's Philly residence spray-painted with the word 'TRAITOR'
- Former President Trump's impeachment trial is over , but not for one of his defense attorneys, who says he's been the target of harassment, intimidation, and vandalism since taking on Trump as a client. "My home was attacked," van der Veen said Saturday, per a pool report...
Lindsey Graham: We Could
Impeach Kamala Harris in 2022
Feb 15, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Lindsey Graham: We Could Impeach Kamala Harris in 2022
Senator also reveals Trump's thoughts on acquittal
- Lindsey Graham gave a wide-ranging interview on
Fox News Sunday
all about the impeachment trial, a day after it ended in acquittal for former President Trump. Some of the topics the South Carolina senator touched on:
Trump's reaction to the verdict:
Trump "was grateful to his lawyers" and
Republicans Back Home
Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Feb 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Republicans Back Home Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Louisiana GOP censures Cassidy
- Republican senators who voted to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial are hearing about it from party officials back home. Sen. Bill Cassidy was promptly censured by Louisiana party leaders, the Hill reports. The state party condemned Cassidy's vote in a tweet , adding, "Fortunately, clearer heads...
McConnell Rips Trump, While
Pelosi Blames 'Cowardly' GOP
Feb 13, 2021 4:55 PM CST
McConnell Rips Trump, While Pelosi Blames 'Cowardly' GOP
Minority leader says former president could still be held accountable in the courts
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell delivered a stinging indictment of former President Trump from the Senate floor on Saturday, but not until minutes after the impeachment trial ended in acquittal . Trump was charged with inciting an insurrection in connection with the attack on the US Capitol on Jan. 6. "Former...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.