Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House Approves Taking Money
From IRS, Sending It to Israel
Nov 2, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
House Approves Taking Money From IRS, Sending It to Israel
Biden, Senate Democrats say they won't approve splitting off funding for Ukraine
- The Republican-run House approved $14 billion in emergency assistance for Israel on Thursday, but it has strings attached that President Biden and Senate leaders say they won't accept. The bill would cut about the same amount of funding from the Internal Revenue Service, the
reports. And the...
Schumer Grateful for
China's New Statement on Israel
Oct 10, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Schumer Grateful for China's New Statement on Israel
US Senate majority leader was previously upset China didn't condemn Hamas attack
- US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday he was grateful for a strengthened statement from China condemning the killing and kidnapping of Israeli and foreign civilians by Hamas, issued during a bipartisan congressional visit to Beijing, the AP reports. Schumer told Foreign Minister Wang Yi earlier in the day...
Senate Goes Around Tuberville,
Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Sep 20, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Senate Goes Around Tuberville, Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Charles Brown Jr. will succeed Mark Milley next month
- Gen. Charles Brown Jr., a fighter pilot and former Air Force chief of staff, was confirmed as the nation's next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday. His nomination was approved on an 83-11 Senate vote after being held up for months by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville'...
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Sep 18, 2023 2:53 AM CDT
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Although it's not clear it was ever actually a formal rule
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has done away with the chamber's informal dress code, in changes that take effect Monday. Axios first reported the news after Schumer directed the Senate's Sergeant at Arms to no longer enforce the dress code, and Schumer confirmed the news, telling the site,...
Feinstein Is Returning
May 9, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Feinstein Is Returning to Washington
89-year-old's monthslong absence led to calls for resignation
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is returning to Washington after a long absence that led to increasingly strong calls for her resignation in recent weeks. At 89, the California Democrat is the oldest senator. She was hospitalized with shingles in February and has been absent for more than two months. Her office...
Editorial Board Has
'Painful' Words for Feinstein
May 5, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Editorial Board Has 'Painful' Words for Feinstein
Board suggests she resign, urges Schumer to act if she doesn't
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein says she will return to the Senate. The editorial board of the
New York Times
suggests she reconsider. And if the 89-year-old doesn't reconsider, the editorial board urges Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to increase pressure on her to step down. The editors laud Feinstein's legacy...
Free US Reporter
Apr 7, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Schumer, McConnell: Free US Reporter
Russia reports it's formally charged Evan Gershkovich
- Senate leaders of both parties appealed Friday for the release of a
Wall Street Journal
reporter whom Russia said it has charged with spying. Evan Gershkovich pleaded not guilty Friday, saying he was operating only as a journalist, the state news agency TASS reported. The Federal Security Service was quoted...
Flipped Ron Klain
Mar 23, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Report: Sinema Slammed Schumer, Flipped Ron Klain the Bird
Sources also tell Politico that independent Arizona senator called Dems 'old dudes eating Jell-O'
- Some have begun to speculate that yes, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema might be able to pull off a reelection win in Arizona if she runs, using her new "independent" status to siphon off independent voters and moderate Republican voters from her opponents. It looks like those are the voters she...
US Shoots Down Another
Feb 12, 2023 3:55 PM CST
US Shoots Down Another 'Unidentified Object'
Air Force, National Guard pilots were deployed over Lake Huron
- For the fourth time in less than two weeks, the US has shot down an unidentified object flying over North American airspace. A Michigan congresswoman tweeted that it happened over Lake Huron on Sunday. "The object has been downed by pilots from the US Air Force and National Guard,...
John Boehner's Tears
Return to the Capitol
Dec 16, 2022 9:35 AM CST
John Boehner's Tears Return to the Capitol
Former GOP speaker of the House gets misty-eyed at ceremonial unveiling of Nancy Pelosi portrait
- On Wednesday, an official portrait for outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was unveiled in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall, honoring her role as the first woman speaker. The
notes that "a generation of congressional leaders fought back tears" during the ceremony—including one of the most...
Senate Joins House in Voting
to Impose Railroad Contract
Dec 1, 2022 3:59 PM CST
Senate Joins House in Voting to Impose Railroad Contract
Legislation prohibiting shutdown goes to Biden for his signature
- The Senate moved quickly Thursday to avert a rail strike that the Biden administration and business leaders warned would have devastating consequences for the nation's economy. The Senate passed a bill to bind rail companies and workers to a proposed settlement that was reached between the rail companies and...
Hot Mic Picks Up Schumer's
Assessment of Senate Races
Oct 28, 2022 9:28 AM CDT
Hot Mic Picks Up Schumer's Assessment of Senate Races
'We're going downhill' in Georgia, he tells Biden
- After almost 50 years in politics, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer apparently still hasn't learned to be wary of hot mics. He was overheard delivering a candid, though mostly positive, assessment of Democrats' chances in Senate races to President Biden on the tarmac of Hancock Field Air National Guard...
Pelosi in New
Jan. 6 Footage:
Punch Him Out'
Oct 14, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Pelosi in New Jan. 6 Footage: 'I'm Gonna Punch Him Out'
Never-before-seen video shot during riot shows House Speaker Pelosi's shock, anger at Trump
- The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the US Capitol held its final public hearing before the midterms on Thursday, in which it resumed making its case against Donald Trump and even voted unanimously at the end of the hearing to subpoena the former president to testify....
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Rules Boss Cuts
Aug 6, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Rules Boss Cuts Bill's Penalties for Drugmakers
Senate parliamentarian keeps much of Democrats' economic package intact
- The Senate parliamentarian on Saturday dealt a blow to Democrats' plan for curbing drug prices but left the rest of their sprawling economic bill largely intact. Party leaders prepared for first votes on a package containing many of President Biden's top domestic goals, the AP reports. Elizabeth MacDonough, the...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 27, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Manchin Unblocks Biden's Domestic Agenda
Holdout's deal with Schumer covers climate change provisions
- Sen. Joe Manchin reached agreement with Senate Democratic leaders to support President Biden's domestic spending plan, legislation addressing health care costs, climate change, and other priorities. The deal reverses Manchin's position of two weeks ago, when he said he couldn't commit to the bill before economic data...
Jul 11, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Chuck Schumer Has COVID
Senate majority leader experiencing very mild symptoms
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has tested positive for COVID-19 and reports experiencing very mild symptoms, his spokesman said Sunday night. Schumer, 71, is fully vaccinated and has received two booster shots, spokesman Justin Goodman said in a statement cited by the AP . The New York Democrat will follow federal...
Schumer: Senate Will Vote
on Changing Filibuster
Jan 3, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Schumer: Senate Will Vote on Changing Filibuster
He says vote will be held by MLK Day
- Unless Republicans change course and stop blocking voting rights legislation , the Senate will vote this month on changing filibuster rules, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday. In a letter to Democratic colleagues, Schumer said that if Republicans don't budge, "the Senate will debate and consider changes to...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.