Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kyiv Residents Defiant as
Strikes Cut Off Power, Water
Nov 25, 2022 3:04 AM CST
Kyiv Residents Defiant as Strikes Cut Off Power, Water
They say Russian onslaught will not break them
- Residents of Ukraine's bombed capital clutched empty bottles in search of water and crowded into cafés for power and warmth Thursday, switching defiantly into survival mode after new Russian missile strikes a day earlier plunged the city and much of the country into the dark. In scenes hard...
Ukraine Raids 'Monastery of
the Caves' in Its Own Capital
Nov 23, 2022 1:19 PM CST
Ukraine Raids 'Monastery of the Caves' in Its Own Capital
In effort to stop Russian sympathizers from using Pechersk Lavra complex for sabotage
- If it seems counterintuitive that Ukrainian forces raided one of its own holy sites this week, it's strictly a preemptive strike. The BBC reports that the nation's SBU security service descended Tuesday upon Kyiv's Pechersk Lavra Christian monastery, a 1,000-year-old Eastern Orthodox church that, until recently,...
'We Will Never Forgive':
Strike Kills 2-Day-Old Ukrainian
Nov 23, 2022 10:00 AM CST
'We Will Never Forgive': Strike Kills 2-Day-Old Ukrainian
Overnight rocket attack destroys hospital maternity ward in southern Ukraine
- A maternity unit in Ukraine's southern Zaporizhzhia region held a single mother and newborn when it was struck by a Russian missile overnight, reports the BBC . The baby, a 2-day-old boy named Kyrylo Kamyanskyi, didn't survive the attack; his mother Maria and a doctor who suffered some burns...
Ukrainians Warned a
Horrific Winter Looms
Nov 22, 2022 2:37 PM CST
Ukrainians Warned a Horrific Winter Looms
Rolling electricity blackouts will likely occur through March due to Russian attacks
- Ukraine could face rolling blackouts throughout the entirety of winter because Russian airstrikes have caused "colossal" damage to the power grid, officials said. To cope, authorities are urging Ukrainians to stock up on supplies and evacuate hard-hit areas. Sergey Kovalenko, the CEO of private energy provider DTEK Yasno, said...
AP Reporter Canned Over Story
on Deadly Missile in Poland
Nov 22, 2022 9:12 AM CST
AP Reporter Canned Over Story on Deadly Missile in Poland
James LaPorta cited anonymous US official who suggested missile was Russian; it was Ukrainian
- The world held its breath last week after a report suggested two missiles had been fired by Russia amid its war in Ukraine and killed two people in Poland—an incident that could have qualified as a breach against a NATO nation and possibly triggered a military response from western...
Like a Phoenix,
World's Largest Plane
to Rise From Ashes
Nov 20, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Like a Phoenix, World's Largest Plane to Rise From Ashes
The Antonov AN-225, destroyed by Russia, will be rebuilt
- In the very first days of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, an aviation marvel was destroyed: The Antonov AN-225 was the largest commercial plane in the world by both wingspan and weight, one built to transport Soviet space shuttles and one that can hold twice what a Boeing 747 can....
Audit Aid to Ukraine
Nov 18, 2022 1:13 AM CST
Marjorie Taylor Greene's Resolution: Audit Aid to Ukraine
Though it's not likely to go anywhere for now
- In the latest sign that a Republican-led House of Representatives might not offer Ukraine the same level of aid that has so far been given, a group of Republicans led by Marjorie Taylor Greene on Thursday introduced a resolution calling for the funds allocated to Ukraine by Congress to be...
NATO, Poland: No, Missile
Wasn't Fired by Russia
Nov 16, 2022 8:14 AM CST
NATO, Poland: No, Missile Wasn't Fired by Russia
Jens Stoltenberg, Polish prez say fatal incident was most likely Ukrainian air defense missile
- First President Biden expressed doubt that a missile that killed two in Poland had been fired by Russia. Now, NATO's chief and Poland's president are doing the same. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that there is "no indication" of a deliberate Russian attack and preliminary...
Russia Unleashes One
of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Nov 15, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Russia Unleashes One of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Missiles rain down from east to west in Ukraine, leaving many cities in the dark
- Russian airstrikes targeting energy and other facilities rocked Ukraine from east to west Tuesday, causing broad power blackouts. A senior official warned that the situation was "critical" and urged Ukrainians to "hang in there" as neighborhoods went dark, per the AP . The
describes the assault as...
'COMPLETE & TOTAL
Nov 15, 2022 12:21 AM CST
Giuliani Gets 'COMPLETE & TOTAL VINDICATION' in Ukraine Dealings
No criminal charges are expected related to 2021 raid
- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will not face criminal charges over his interactions with Ukrainian figures in the runup to the 2020 presidential election, federal prosecutors revealed in a letter to a judge Monday. Prosecutors with the US attorney's office in Manhattan said they made the decision...
It's a 'Humanitarian
Catastrophe' in Kherson
Nov 14, 2022 12:58 AM CST
It's a 'Humanitarian Catastrophe' in Kherson
City is largely without water, power, heat, and much more
- There was celebrating in the streets after Russia withdrew from Ukraine's Kherson region , but the
New York Times
reports that a "humanitarian disaster looms." The city of Kherson is mostly lacking heat, water, power, and cellphone service; food and medicine are also scarce. And with Ukrainian military...
Nov 13, 2022 6:42 AM CST
Banksy Leaving His Mark on Ukraine
Artist reveals new mural, and others are believed to be his works as well
- Ukrainians aren't the only ones celebrating their nation's spirit amid the war with Russia. Banksy has revealed a new mural on a bombed building, reports the BBC . The image depicts a gymnast doing a handstand on the shelled structure in Borodyanka. Russian troops invaded the city near Kyiv...
Russia: Withdrawal From
Kherson Is Complete
Nov 11, 2022 7:36 AM CST
Russia: Withdrawal From Kherson Is Complete
Unconfirmed video purports to show locals hugging Ukrainian soldiers in celebration
- Russia now says it has completely withdrawn its forces from the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson. Russia's Defense Ministry says there is "not a single piece of military equipment or weapons" left on the western bank of the Dnipro River and remaining troops have been moved to the...
Biden: Putin Might Talk
'Seriously' on Griner
With Election Over
Nov 9, 2022 6:25 PM CST
Biden: Putin Might Talk 'Seriously' on Griner With Election Over
He takes questions on Ukraine, Musk, China during post-midterms press conference
- After delivering remarks on what he called a "strong night" for Democrats in the midterm elections, President Biden spent around 40 minutes Wednesday answering more than two dozen questions from journalists, including one on American basketball star Brittney Griner, who has been moved to a penal colony in Russia....
Since Russia War Began, These
Creatures Are Dying in Droves
Nov 4, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Since Russia War Began, These Creatures Are Dying in Droves
Scientists think loud noises from invasion may disrupt navigation of dolphins, porpoises, whales
- The human death toll from the Russian invasion of Ukraine is believed to be in the tens of thousands so far. But marine mammals in the Black Sea, directly to the south of Ukraine, are also dying in droves, and scientists think the loud sounds that accompany battle are to...
Power, Water Knocked
Out Again Across Ukraine
Oct 31, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Power, Water Knocked Out Again Across Ukraine
Critical infrastructure hit by Russian missile strikes in Kyiv, Kharkiv; 80% in capital without water
- A massive barrage of Russian strikes on Monday morning hit critical infrastructure in Kyiv, Kharkiv, and other cities, knocking out water and power in apparent retaliation for what Moscow alleged was a Ukrainian attack on its Black Sea Fleet over the weekend. The mayor of Ukraine's capital said 80%...
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite
With Ukrainian Girl in US
Oct 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite With Ukrainian Girl in US
Arsenii was transported by motorcycle, car, and plane to get back to Agnessa, 10, now in Calif.
- When Maria Bezhenar and her family fled Odesa, Ukraine, in February as Russian forces invaded their homeland, they were forced to leave behind some "precious belongings," per KHON2 . Among those items: their family pets, including their cat, Arsenii. The family of six—Bezhenar, her mother, her husband Aleksander,...
Oct 28, 2022 10:28 AM CDT
Russia Swipes Potemkin's Remains From Ukraine
Bones of Prince Grigory Potemkin stolen from Kherson church for their own 'protection': official
- Russia has held a grip on the southern Ukrainian region of Kherson and its capital of the same name since the earliest days of the war. Kherson is also one of the four regions that were illegally annexed by Russia earlier this month. But Ukrainian forces have been pushing hard...
To Preserve Ukraine,
War Refugees Shouldn't
Come Home: Government
Oct 26, 2022 12:59 AM CDT
To Preserve Ukraine, War Refugees Shouldn't Come Home: Government
Energy system wouldn't be able to handle their return, government warns
- Refugees who fled Ukraine amid Russia's invasion shouldn't return until spring, the government warned. Ukraine's energy infrastructure has been under relentless attack from Russia, and it "will not cope" if everyone comes home, Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk warned, per the BBC . "If it is...
US, UK Blast Russian Official's
Dirty Bomb Claims as 'False'
Oct 24, 2022 6:29 AM CDT
US, UK Blast Russian Official's Dirty Bomb Claims as 'False'
Nation's defense minister alleges Ukraine has plans to use dirty bomb, which Ukraine refutes
- A phone call over the weekend between US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and his counterpart in Russia, Sergei Shoigu, resulted in an alarming assertion from the latter. A US administration official says that Shoigu told Austin, who'd also talked to Shoigu on Friday for the first time in months,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.