Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
G7 Says Russian
Attack on Mall
Was a War Crime
Jun 27, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
G7 Says Russian Attack on Mall Was a War Crime
Kremenchuk strike killed at least 13
- A Russian missile attack on a mall in Kremenchuk, Ukraine, on Monday killed at least 13 people and wounded 40 others—but with rescuers still searching the wreckage, the death toll could rise significantly. The United Nations described the attack on a civilian target in central Ukraine, far from the...
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride'
in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Jun 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride' in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Country's largest LGBTQ event will take place in Poland, joining huge Pride event in Warsaw
- Ukraine's largest LGBTQ rights event, KyivPride, is going ahead on Saturday. But not on its native streets, and not as a celebration. It will instead join Warsaw's yearly Equality Parade, the largest gay pride event in central Europe, using it as a platform to keep international attention focused...
EU Quickly Gives
Ukraine Candidate Status
Jun 23, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
EU Quickly Gives Ukraine Candidate Status
Actually becoming part of the European bloc, however, could take years
- The European Union has agreed to make Ukraine a candidate for EU membership, setting in motion a potentially yearslong process that could pull the embattled country further away from Russia's influence and bind it more closely to the West. Ukraine applied for EU membership less than a week after...
Drones Light Up
Russian Oil Refinery
Jun 22, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
Drones Light Up Russian Oil Refinery
Officials blame 'terrorist actions' across the border in Ukraine
- Two drones allegedly controlled by Ukraine crashed into a major Russian oil and gas refinery on Wednesday, setting the place ablaze. Footage shared by Russian state media showed black smoke pouring from the Novoshakhtinsk Refinery OAO in the Rostov district, about 5 miles from the border with eastern Ukraine, as...
Russian McDonald's Are No
More, but Now There's This
Jun 22, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Russian McDonald's Are No More, but Now There's This
Rebranded restaurants opened to great demand, says new CEO
You can't get a Big Mac in Russia anymore, but you can get a burger at Vkusno & tochka—and plenty of people apparently did on opening day. About 50 of the successor restaurant to McDonald's opened in the Moscow area over June 12 and 13 under...
Ben Stiller Meets
Zelensky: 'You're My Hero'
Jun 21, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Ben Stiller Meets Zelensky: 'You're My Hero'
UN Goodwill Ambassador visits Ukraine
- Comedian and actor Ben Stiller on Monday met the man he says is his hero: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. Stiller is visiting Europe in his role as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations, and had just visited the ruins of Irpin before his sit-down with Zelensky, who himself was...
2 US Fighters Feared
Captured by Russia
Jun 16, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
2 US Fighters Feared Captured by Russia
They reportedly vanished while fighting near the Ukraine-Russia border on June 9
- Two US military veterans from Alabama are thought to be the first Americans captured by Russia while fighting for Ukraine. Alexander Drueke, 39, from Tuscaloosa, formerly of the US Army, and Andy Tai Ngoc Huynh, 27, from Hartselle, formerly of the Marine Corps, volunteered to assist in the war effort...
4 European Leaders Join
Show of Support in Kyiv
Jun 16, 2022 4:32 AM CDT
4 European Leaders Join Show of Support in Kyiv
Ukrainians hope this could be a turning point
- The leaders of France, Germany, Italy, and Romania arrived in Kyiv on Thursday in a show of collective European support for the Ukrainian people, marking the highest-profile visit to Ukraine's capital since Russia invaded its neighbor. The French president's office said that President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf...
Zelensky: 'Why Is This
Happening in 2022? This
Is Not the 1940s'
Jun 13, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Zelensky: 'Why Is This Happening in 2022? This Is Not the 1940s'
Mass graves in Ukraine are still being uncovered
- Igor Kilmenko, Ukraine's national police chief, said Monday that criminal investigations have been opened in the deaths of more than 12,000 Ukrainians since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, including some whose bodies were found in mass graves. He said mass killings were also carried out by snipers...
Ukraine: Russia Using Weapons
That Can Cause Mass Death
Jun 11, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia Using Weapons That Can Cause Mass Death
UK Defense Ministry: Missiles meant to destroy aircraft carriers can cause 'severe' damage on land
- Ukrainian and British officials warned Saturday that Russian forces are relying on weapons able to cause mass casualties as they try to make headway in capturing eastern Ukraine and fierce, prolonged fighting depletes resources on both sides. Russian bombers have likely been launching heavy 1960s-era anti-ship missiles in Ukraine, the...
to 'Take Back'
Ukraine a la
Peter the Great
Jun 10, 2022 9:26 AM CDT
Putin Wants to 'Take Back' Ukraine a la Peter the Great
Russian leader compares czar's imperial expansion to his own bloody invasion
- Vladimir Putin marked the 350th anniversary of Peter the Great's birth this week in a rather lofty way: He compared himself to the czar to seemingly justify his own invasion of Ukraine . "Peter the Great waged the Great Northern War for 21 years," the Russian leader said...
3 Foreign Nationals
Sentenced to Die for
Jun 9, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
3 Foreign Nationals Sentenced to Die for Fighting Russians
Donetsk court found 2 Brits and a Moroccan to be mercenaries, not soldiers, in 'sham judgment'
- Two Brits and a Moroccan who fought against Russians in Ukraine have been sentenced to die. A court in Russian-controlled Donetsk in east Ukraine delivered the sentence Thursday after what onlookers call a "show trial" meant to mimic war crimes trials against Russian soldiers in areas controlled by Ukraine,...
In Mariupol, an 'Endless
Caravan of Death'
Jun 9, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
In Mariupol, an 'Endless Caravan of Death'
Many wrecked buildings hold 50 to 100 bodies each, official says
- Mariupol is now under Russian control and the bombardment of civilian buildings has ended—but death is still a constant presence in the Ukrainian port city. Petro Andryushchenko, an aide to the city's mayor, says many wrecked buildings in the city hold 50 to 100 bodies each and they...
New Russian Radio
Jun 9, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
New Russian Radio Programming: Ukraine National Anthem
And anti-war protest songs; looks like somebody got hacked
- Russian radio station Kommersant FM was hacked on Wednesday and was quickly pulled off the air after it started broadcasting Ukraine's national anthem and anti-war songs protesting Russia's invasion of Ukraine. "The radio station has been hacked. The internet stream will soon be reinstated," Kommersant said...
Ex-Russian PM: 'I'll Do Anything'
to Disappear Ukrainians
Jun 7, 2022 7:13 AM CDT
Ex-Russian PM: 'I'll Do Anything' to Disappear Ukrainians
Dmitry Medvedev's chilling social media rant is latest in former leader's turn to 'belligerent' rhetoric
- A former president and prime minister of Russia who was once thought by some to be "a hope of Russian liberals and the West" isn't flying under that descriptor anymore after recent harsh statements against Ukrainians amid the Russian invasion . The Daily Beast reports that Dmitry Medvedev—who...
African Nations Face Tough
Choice Over Stolen Grain
Jun 6, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
African Nations Face Tough Choice Over Stolen Grain
Should they decline to buy it from Russia, or use it to feed their people?
- Ukraine says Russia has been stealing its grain since the invasion began, and the allegation isn't in much dispute, reports the
New York Times
. Now the US State Department is warning that Russia is trying to sell this "stolen Ukrainian grain" to other nations. The newspaper frames it...
Jun 4, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Ukraine Argues With Macron on Humiliating Russia
French president had urged leaving a path for diplomacy, which didn't impress Ukrainian official
- Ukraine's government made clear Saturday that it doesn't share French President Emmanuel Macron's concern about embarrassing Russia. "We must not humiliate Russia so that the day when the fighting stops we can build an exit ramp through diplomatic means," Macron had said in an interview...
Grim Stats on
Jun 4, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Zelensky Offers Grim Stats on Ukrainian Troops
President says 60 to 100 soldiers are dying daily, but some note this will only galvanize Ukrainians
- As soon as they'd finished burying a veteran colonel killed by Russian shelling, the cemetery workers readied the next hole. Inevitably, given how quickly death is felling Ukrainian troops on the front lines, the empty grave won't stay that way for long. Col. Oleksandr Makhachek left behind a...
Zelensky Talks 'One of Russia's
Most Heinous War Crimes'
Jun 2, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Zelensky Talks 'One of Russia's Most Heinous War Crimes'
He says 200K children have been forcibly taken to Russia; millions of others are displaced
- About two out of every three children in Ukraine have been displaced since war erupted nearly 100 days ago, according to the United Nations' children's agency. More than 5 million children—3 million in Ukraine and over 2.2 million in refugee-hosting countries—are in need of humanitarian assistance,...
Eye on Ukraine,
Make a Move
Jun 2, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Eye on Ukraine, Taiwanese Make a Move
Citizens who've never handled firearms are increasingly taking lessons in handling airsoft guns
- China has scoffed at comparisons of itself and Taiwan to the Russian invasion of Ukraine . But that hasn't eased the fears of Taiwanese residents, who are now taking a step many never expected: getting firearms training. Although gun ownership is strongly regulated in Taiwan, people who've never picked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.