Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brittney Griner Makes a
'Sweeping' Deal With Disney
Dec 8, 2023 10:44 AM CST
Brittney Griner Makes a 'Sweeping' Deal With Disney
WNBA star will tell her story in ESPN documentary, scripted series for ABC Signature
- Practically a year to the day after she was released from a Russian prison, Brittney Griner has some big news. Deadline reports that the 33-year-old center for the Phoenix Mercury has signed a "sweeping" deal with Disney that will include not only an ESPN documentary, but also a scripted...
For This Trial,
Nov 11, 2023 11:30 AM CST
For This Trial, Trump Actually Agrees With the Media
Former president joins push of news groups to have federal election interference trial televised
- Donald Trump is pushing for his federal election interference trial in Washington to be televised, joining media outlets that say the American public should be able to watch the historic case unfold. The Justice Department is opposing the effort to broadcast the trial, scheduled to begin in March, and notes...
Report: HBO Boss
Trolled Critics With
Nov 1, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
Report: HBO Boss Trolled Critics With Fake Accounts
'Rolling Stone' uncovers texts in which Casey Bloys dictates responses word for word
- Before being named HBO's CEO and chairman in 2022 , Casey Bloys launched a campaign aimed at trolling critics who offered unfavorable takes about HBO content as president of original programming,
reports in an exposé. The outlet reviewed text messages that form part of a wrongful termination lawsuit...
7 Dumbest Decisions
in Network Television
Aug 26, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
7 Dumbest Decisions in Network Television
'Rolling Stone' catalogs 50, starting with the cancellation of 'Freaks and Geeks'
has come up with an inventive list that seeks to catalogue "the 50 worst decisions in the history of television." Don't look for infamous Fonzie-jumps-the-shark moments. Instead, these gaffes focus mostly on decisions made by network execs, though a few writing bombs make the...
Price Is Right
Himself While Celebrating
Jun 21, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Price Is Right
Contestant Injures Himself While Celebrating
Henry was so excited over his win that he dislocated his shoulder
- Spinning the big wheel on CBS'
The Price Is Right
isn't usually a family affair. But in a recent episode of television's longest-running game show , one man celebrated a win so hard that he hurt himself and needed his wife's assistance to continue. CNN reports that during...
Actors 'Lock Elbows'
in Big Move Against Studios
Jun 6, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Actors 'Lock Elbows' in Big Move Against Studios
SAG-AFTRA union members overwhelmingly vote for strike if deal isn't reached by June 30
- As writers in Hollywood remain on strike , it now looks like another group may soon join them. Members of the SAG-AFTRA union, which represents 160,000-plus movie and TV actors and other performers, voted Monday evening to authorize a strike if an acceptable new contract isn't reached with studios...
Wowed Viewers, but
Behind the Scenes Was Turmoil
Jun 3, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Wowed Viewers, but Behind the Scenes Was Turmoil
'Toxic' culture overtook ABC's hit drama, per a new book excerpt by Maureen Ryan in 'Vanity Fair'
- In the early days of
, the hit ABC series directed by co-creator JJ Abrams about plane crash survivors stranded on a mysterious tropical island, the writer's room was an electric creative space that one show veteran recalls as "heaven." From an actor's view, the possibilities...
She Was a
Staple for Nearly Half-Century
May 11, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
She Was a
Staple for Nearly Half-Century
Actor Jacklyn Zeman, who played nurse Bobbie Spencer on ABC soap, dies at 70 of cancer
- Jacklyn Zeman, who became one of the most recognizable actors on daytime television during 45 years of playing Bobbie Spencer on ABC's
, has died. She was 70. Zeman died after a short battle with cancer, her family confirmed Wednesday, per the AP . News of her death was...
May 9, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Researcher: Spoilers Don't Matter
Psychology study suggests people still enjoy shows if they know the ending
- The next time you inadvertently let a spoiler slip about a popular show, just explain to your angry friend that science say it's fine. Yeshiva University psychology professor Anna-Lisa Cohen makes the case in a
New York Times
essay, one that draws from a study by her and others...
In Hours, Your TV Watching
May Take a Serious Hit
May 1, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
In Hours, Your TV Watching May Take a Serious Hit
Hollywood braces for strike by writers at midnight, unless a deal is reached
- Hollywood is now hours away from a strike that would affect scores of TV shows and films—as well the people who watch them. And the main sentiment in coverage is that a deal looks unlikely before the midnight deadline. Details:
On one side is the Writers Guild
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
Get Ready to Say
Goodbye to the Roy Family
Feb 24, 2023 12:41 PM CST
Get Ready to Say Goodbye to the Roy Family
Jesse Armstrong, creator of HBO's 'Succession,' confirms upcoming 4th season will be show's last
Game of Thrones
ended, there was a good amount of murmuring over whether HBO could find another audience-pleasing series to latch onto as an anchor. Turns out the cable network found one such mooring in
, its Emmy-winning show about the conniving, back-stabbing, super-rich Roy family, starring Brian Cox...
Jan 6, 2023 7:41 AM CST
Aubrey Plaza Will Soon Grace Your TV Again
'White Lotus' star to host 'SNL' on Jan. 21; Michael B. Jordan takes hosting duties next
Parks and Rec
star Aubrey Plaza is riding high after her starring turn in HBO's
and the film
Emily the Criminal
, and now she's about to add another notch on her belt: The 38-year-old actor will be hosting
Saturday Night Live
's return to the air...
Producer Dead at 47
Oct 26, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Executive Producer Dead at 47
Ben Feigin, who helped launch the hit CBC/Netflix series, has died of pancreatic cancer
- One of the driving forces behind the award-winning CBC television series
reports that executive producer Ben Feigin died of pancreatic cancer, with confirmation on his death from United Talent Agency, his former employer. Feigin was 47. The Maryland native kicked off his career at...
Best TV Shows of All Time
Oct 2, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Best TV Shows of All Time
'Rolling Stone' is out with its new ranking
acknowledges it's a near-impossible task—ranking the 100 best TV shows of all time, with no regard to genre or era. It did so by enlisting critics, creators, and stars, and the full list of voters is here . Why
at No. 1? Among other...
NBC Considers Milestone
Move: Trimming Prime Time
Aug 29, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
NBC Considers Milestone Move: Trimming Prime Time
Network might stop national programming at 10pm
- From the earliest days of television, one thing has remained consistent—the definition of prime time as running from 8 to 11pm on the major networks. Now, however, at least one of those networks—NBC—is considering shortening that by one hour and ending at 10, reports the
Nielsen Spots a Milestone
in How We Watch TV
Aug 19, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Nielsen Spots a Milestone in How We Watch TV
For the first time ever, Americans used streaming platforms more than cable
- The numbers had been heading in this direction for a while, but July nevertheless represents a milestone in the way Americans watch TV. Nielsen reports that streaming—from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and others—trumped cable for the first time ever in a given month.
Decision: 'There Is
White Smoke Over Culver City'
Jul 28, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
Decision: 'There Is White Smoke Over Culver City'
Mayim Bialik, Ken Jennings named official 'Jeopardy!' hosts
has finally landed on who will permanently helm the show, and the decision won't come as a big shock. "It’s official! There is white smoke over Culver City," tweeted Ken Jennings in sharing the announcement that he and fellow temporary co-host Mayim Bialik are staying...
This Could Take Cooking
Shows to Weird New Level
Dec 25, 2021 9:00 AM CST
This Could Take Cooking Shows to Weird New Level
Japanese researcher invents a lickable screen
- A Japanese researcher is generating headlines for his odd invention—a TV that allows you to lick the screen and taste different flavors. The device, called Taste the TV (TTTV) is yet "another step towards creating a multi-sensory viewing experience," reports Reuters . It makes use of built-in canisters...
'The Big Ragoo'
Has Died at 69
Dec 2, 2021 9:25 AM CST
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
Actor Eddie Mekka played Carmine Ragusa on '70s sitcom 'Laverne & Shirley'
- For those who sat in front of the boob tube in the late '70s and early '80s, the
Laverne & Shirley
likely made its way into their TV-watching schedules. Sad news for that demographic, as loved ones announce the death of actor Eddie Mekka, who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.