Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
on Russell Brand
Sep 19, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
YouTube Lays Down Hammer on Russell Brand
Social media platform won't let comedian, accused of sexual assault, make money off his channels
- Russell Brand's agency has bid him farewell , and promoters have called off his remaining comedy tour dates in the UK in the wake of new sexual-assault allegations against him, and now YouTube has delivered its own blow: The social media platform has blocked the 48-year-old comedian's main channel,...
Not Everyone Was Happy
at Woody Allen Premiere
Sep 5, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Not Everyone Was Happy at Woody Allen Premiere
Protesters scuffled with cops, slammed organizers for featuring directors accused of sexual abuse
- There was chaos on the red carpet at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on Monday as protesters scuffled with police while shouting "Abusers!" and "No rape culture!" The Italian film festival is premiering new films by three directors accused of sexual misconduct: Woody Allen, Roman...
Brooke Shields Reveals
Assault by Hollywood Exec
Mar 15, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Brooke Shields Reveals Assault by Hollywood Exec
It happened some 30 years ago
- "I thought I was getting a movie, a job," says Brooke Shields of the fateful night more than 30 years ago that she dined with an unnamed Hollywood exec. She needed it, having been unable to land much work at the time. Instead, she ended up being sexually...
2 Years After
Feb 4, 2023 11:30 AM CST
2 Years After Sex Abuse Scandal, Armie Hammer Speaks
Actor denies criminal wrongdoing, but he says he's here to 'own my mistakes, take accountability'
- There hasn't been much word out of the Armie Hammer camp for nearly two years in the wake of sexual assault accusations that left him a Hollywood pariah . Now, the 36-year-old actor is speaking out in his first interview since the scandal, taking on the allegations and noting, "...
Warren Beatty Accused
of Sexually Abusing
Teen Girl in 1973
Nov 10, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Warren Beatty Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen Girl in 1973
Lawsuit does not name Beatty, but clearly identifies him nonetheless
- It appears Warren Beatty is now among the Hollywood men accused in recent years of sexual abuse. The actor is not explicitly named in the lawsuit filed this week, but the suit identifies the defendant as having been nominated for an Oscar for playing Clyde in
Bonnie & Clyde,
Weinstein Trial Gets a
Surprise Potential Witness
Oct 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Weinstein Trial Gets a Surprise Potential Witness
Judge gives OK for prosecutors to call Mel Gibson to testify in support of 'Jane Doe No. 3'
- Harvey Weinstein's rape trial in Los Angeles may see an unexpected witness.
reports that on Friday in a motions hearing, Judge Lisa B. Lench gave prosecutors the OK for Mel Gibson to be called to testify against the disgraced movie producer, in support of accusations made by "...
Cuba Gooding Jr. Hears His
Fate in Forcible Touching Case
Oct 14, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Cuba Gooding Jr. Hears His Fate in Forcible Touching Case
Accusers miffed actor won't be getting jail time, thanks to his compliance with plea agreement
- As the forcible touching case against Cuba Gooding Jr. faded to black Thursday with no jail time for the movie star, some of the dozens of women who've accused him of groping, unwanted kissing, and other inappropriate behavior criticized the outcome as a slap on the wrist—and a...
No. 4' in New
Is Known Name
Oct 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
'Jane Doe No. 4' in New Weinstein Trial Is Known Name
Jennifer Siebel Newsom, married to Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom, will testify
- Harvey Weinstein's trial kicked off Monday in Los Angeles, with the disgraced movie producer facing down 11 counts of sexual assault spurred by allegations from five women, in incidents said to have taken place between 2004 and 2013. One of those women, who will testify as "Jane Doe...
Lawyer: Spacey Accuser Was
'Frozen' as Actor Lay on Him
Oct 7, 2022 7:24 AM CDT
Lawyer: Spacey Accuser Was 'Frozen' as Actor Lay on Him
Anthony Rapp is expected to testify himself as civil trial on alleged sex abuse continues in NY
- If Kevin Spacey was bothered by the testimony this week of a man who says the actor sexually abused him when he was 14 and Spacey was 26, the 63-year-old actor didn't show it. NBC News reports Spacey "seemed relaxed" on the first day of his civil trial...
Kevin Spacey Goes on
Trial in New York Thursday
Oct 5, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey Goes on Trial in New York Thursday
Anthony Rapp alleges actor tried to abuse him when he was 14
- Almost five years after
t star Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of trying to molest him when he was 14 years old, Spacey's trial is set to begin in a federal court in New York City. Rapp is seeking $40 million in compensatory and punitive damages in the civil...
Is a 'Fact of Life'
in case you missed it
Sep 4, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
In Antarctica, Sexual Misconduct Is a 'Fact of Life'
National Science Foundation report: Sexual assault, harassment ongoing at US research bases
- Sexual misconduct is alive and well on all seven continents. That's one takeaway from a new report commissioned by the National Science Foundation that concentrates on such accounts coming in from the bottom of the Earth. It identified an "ongoing, continuing" issue of "sexual harassment, stalking, and...
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going
to UK to Clear My Name
May 31, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going to UK to Clear My Name
Actor says he is 'confident' he will be cleared of latest abuse allegations
Kevin Spacey says he will travel to Britain to defend himself in court against new allegations of sexual abuse and is "confident" he'll be cleared. In a statement released by his attorney on Tuesday, the actor said he will "voluntarily appear in the UK as soon...
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial
Starts, With One Decision Made
May 9, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial Starts, With One Decision Made
Celebrity chef opts for judge to decide his fate, not a jury
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali has waived his right to a jury trial and is opting to have a judge decide his fate in his sexual misconduct trial in Boston. Batali confirmed the decision to Boston Municipal Court Justice James Stanton as the trial opened Monday morning, per the AP . In...
University President Fired For
Jan 16, 2022 9:30 AM CST
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Mark Schlissel has been removed as president of the University of Michigan
- The president of the University of Michigan has been fired by the school's board of regents following an investigation into an alleged “inappropriate relationship with a university employee. Per the
Detroit Free Press
, Dr. Mark Schlissel was removed by a unanimous vote announced Saturday evening following a Dec....
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Alleges Sex Assault:
'I Feel Like a Walking Corpse'
Nov 5, 2021 3:43 AM CDT
Tennis Star Alleges Sex Assault: 'I Feel Like a Walking Corpse'
China quashes discussion of Peng Shuai allegations
- Chinese authorities have squelched virtually all online discussion of sexual assault accusations apparently made by a Chinese professional tennis star against a former top government official, showing how sensitive the ruling Communist Party is to such charges. In a lengthy social media post that disappeared quickly, Peng Shuai wrote that...
Will Go on
Trial in April
Nov 3, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
Mario Batali Will Go on Trial in April
Celebrity chef pleaded not guilty to allegation he forcibly kissed, groped woman at eatery in 2017
Celebrity chef Mario Batali's trial on a sexual misconduct charge in Boston has been set for April 11, Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins' office said Tuesday after a hearing. Batali pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery on allegations that he forcibly kissed and groped a...
After Glee Over Cosby Release,
Phylicia Rashad Apologizes
Jul 3, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After Glee Over Cosby Release, Phylicia Rashad Apologizes
Howard University dean writes letter to parents, students: 'I vehemently oppose sexual violence'
- Phylicia Rashad has long been a defender of Bill Cosby, who played her husband on
The Cosby Show
, but her recent glee over his release from prison has her facing new backlash. On Wednesday, Pennsylvania's highest court vacated the 83-year-old's sexual assault conviction, making him a free man,...
Woman Taps Into
1887 Law to
Seek Justice in
May 25, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Woman Taps Into 1887 Law to Seek Justice in Alleged Rape
Madison Smith convened own grand jury in Kansas after prosecutors wouldn't bring rape charges
- A Kansas woman who alleges consensual sex with a friend in his college dorm room turned into assault took matters into her own hands when prosecutors declined to bring rape charges: She called a citizen grand jury, relying on a 134-year-old state law. Madison Smith, 22, collected hundreds of signatures...
Thomas Middleditch at Center
of Club's Misconduct Claims
Mar 22, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Thomas Middleditch at Center of Club's Misconduct Claims
'Silicon Valley' star accused of groping woman, owners accused of ignoring complaints
star Thomas Middleditch to the list of celebs who've been accused of sexual misconduct. Hannah Harding says she was at the Cloak & Dagger—a now-closed Goth nightclub in Hollywood "where a cast of experimental artists performed eerie, sexually charged ceremonies each week," per...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.