Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Aug 27, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Challenger Calls Zimbabwe's Vote 'Gigantic Fraud'
International observers reported intimidation of opposition to president's reelection
- Zimbabwe's main opposition leader on Sunday alleged "blatant and gigantic fraud" in the country's election after President Emmerson Mnangagwa was declared the winner and international observers reported an atmosphere of intimidation against voters. The returns from the latest troubled vote in the southern African nation were announced...
'Total Internet Shutdown'
Jan 18, 2019 4:02 AM CST
Zimbabwe Forces 'Total Internet Shutdown'
More than 600 arrested in fuel protests
- Zimbabwe's government has again forced a "total Internet shutdown," a media group says, after a days-long violent crackdown on people protesting dramatic fuel price increases. MISA-Zimbabwe shared a text message from the country's largest telecom company, Econet, calling the government order "beyond our reasonable control....
A New President Is 'Humbled,'
Opponent Cries Fraud
Aug 3, 2018 12:54 AM CDT
A New President Is 'Humbled,' Opponent Cries Fraud
Emmerson Mnangagwa narrowly won the election in Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe's President Emmerson Mnangagwa narrowly won the election there Friday as the ruling party maintained control of the government in the first vote since the fall of Robert Mugabe. Mnangagwa received 50.8% of the vote, while main opposition challenger Nelson Chamisa received 44.3%, but the opposition is...
On Eve of Big Election,
Mugabe Has a Surprise
Jul 30, 2018 6:27 AM CDT
On Eve of Big Election, Mugabe Has a Surprise
Ousted Zimbabwe leader won't back his own ruling party in tight race
- Zimbabweans are voting Monday for president, and the name Robert Mugabe is not on the ballot. But that doesn't mean the 94-year-old former ruler, who was ousted in a military coup last year, won't have a say in the outcome. At a surprise news conference Sunday, Mugabe announced...
On a New
of 'Fake News'
Jul 29, 2018 9:04 AM CDT
On a New Continent, Accusations of 'Fake News'
Challenger Nelson Chamisa has familiar words ahead of Zimbabwe election; Mugabe re-emerges
- "Fake news" is at it again, this time on a different continent, reports the AP . Zimbabwe's main opposition leader says the ruling party has conducted a "fake news" campaign against him with the help of foreign technicians ahead of Monday's elections. Nelson Chamisa, head of the...
Zimbabwe Gives Land
Back to White Farmer
Dec 22, 2017 12:21 AM CST
Zimbabwe Gives Land Back to White Farmer
He could be the first of many
- A white Zimbabwean farmer evicted by gun-wielding police and a mob associated with the ruling party has returned to a hero's welcome, in a sign that new President Emmerson Mnangagwa is charting a path away from predecessor Robert Mugabe on an issue that had hastened the country's international...
Robert Mugabe Knew
It Was Over: Mediator
Nov 26, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Knew It Was Over: Mediator
Longtime dictator appeared relieved when he signed resignation letter, says priest
- Zimbabwe's former President Robert Mugabe knew it was "the end of the road" days before he quit , and appeared relieved when he signed his resignation letter after 37 years in power, a Catholic priest who mediated his ouster said Sunday. Fidelis Mukonori, who has known Mugabe for decades,...
Robert Mugabe Gets
Immunity From Prosecution
Nov 23, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Gets Immunity From Prosecution
The former Zimbabwe despot will also get a healthy retirement package
- After ruling Zimbabwe with an iron fist for 37 years, Robert Mugabe will be able to live out the rest of his days free of the threat of prosecution. Military authorities, who put the former president under house arrest a little more than a week ago, have granted him immunity...
He Was Set to Resign.
Then Plans Changed
Nov 20, 2017 4:37 AM CST
He Was Set to Resign. Then Plans Changed
Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe flipped the script; military appears to be leaning toward impeachment
- Robert Mugabe, already known as the Energizer Bunny of southern African strongman leaders, stunned Zimbabwe Sunday by failing to deliver a widely expected resignation . Instead, the 93-year-old, speaking after his own ZANU-PF party fired him as leader, promised to preside over a party congress set for next month, Reuters reports....
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.