Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Roller Coaster Bitcoin
Is Clocking Big Gains
Dec 4, 2023 2:45 PM CST
Roller Coaster Bitcoin Is Clocking Big Gains
Cryptocurrency is above $40K again, up 150% this year
- Bitcoin is once again having a moment. On Monday, the world's largest cryptocurrency soared past $41,000 for the first time in over a year and a half—marking a 150% rise so far this year, per the AP . Volatile bitcoin rocketed from just over $5,000 at the...
$1B Suit Over
Nov 30, 2023 5:40 PM CST
Ronaldo Faces $1B Suit Over Endorsement of Binance
Soccer star pitched NFTs tied to his career
- A year ago, soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo offered fans a deal that he said would reward them "for all the years of support." He had partnered with Binance on a collection of non-fungible tokens celebrating "an iconic Ronaldo moment." The investment didn't pan out for...
How Billions of Stolen Bitcoin
Stayed Hidden—Until a Slipup
Nov 26, 2023 6:28 AM CST
How Billions of Stolen Bitcoin Stayed Hidden—Until a Slipup
Jimmy Zhong stayed under the radar for nearly a decade, until he made a banking error
- The 2012 mystery of who stole a bundle of bitcoin that eventually ballooned to $3 billion in worth puzzled authorities for the better part of a decade, but in 2019, Jimmy Zhong finally made an error that led them to his doorstep. CNBC's investigative report delves into how Zhong...
Another Giant in World
of Crypto Goes Down
Nov 21, 2023 1:54 PM CST
Another Giant in World of Crypto Goes Down
Changpeng Zhao of Binance pleads guilty to money-laundering charge, plans to step down as CEO
- The founder of Binance, the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange, pleaded guilty Tuesday to a felony charge that he failed to take steps to prevent money laundering following an investigation by the US government. CEO Changpeng Zhao's company also agreed to pay more than $4 billion in fines and restitution....
Inside a Crypto Fugitive's
Luxury Life on the Lam
Nov 5, 2023 5:10 PM CST
Inside a Crypto Fugitive's Luxury Life on the Lam
Wall Street Journal details how Do Kwon spent 6 months on the run
- South Korean crypto tycoon Do Kwon is giving Sam Bankman-Fried a break from headlines this week as the
Wall Street Journal
profiles his elusive international escape after his company Terraform Labs went belly up last year. For a little backstory, two of Terraform Labs' tokens, TerraUSD and Luna, crashed in...
Judge to Sam Bankman-Fried:
'Just Answer the Question'
Oct 31, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge to Sam Bankman-Fried: 'Just Answer the Question'
FTX founder is 'vague,' 'curt' under cross-examination
- The cross-examination of Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of failed cryptocurrency exchange FTX, began Monday; it was SBF's second day on the stand after testifying in his own defense Friday. On that day, some of his answers were so lengthy and meandering the judge asked him to stop talking . On Monday,...
As SBF's Trial
on His Parents
Oct 19, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
As SBF's Trial Plows Ahead, Questions Arise on His Parents
Bloomberg details Joe Bankman, Barbara Fried's influence and involvement in FTX crypto empire
- Last December, FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried insisted to the
New York Times
that his parents, Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried, "weren't involved in any of the relevant parts" of his now-defunct cryptocurrency business. Writing for Bloomberg , Max Chafkin and Hannah Miller dive deeper into that murky relationship, coming...
Bitcoin Surges, Then Falls
Thanks to a Bogus Tweet
Oct 17, 2023 8:55 AM CDT
Bitcoin Surges, Then Falls Thanks to a Bogus Tweet
Price surges 10% in minutes, then falls again, over misinformation involving the SEC
- The world maybe didn't need another example of the volatility of cryptocurrency, but it got one anyway on Monday. The price of bitcoin jumped about 10% to nearly $30,000 in a matter of minutes, all thanks to a bogus news report, reports Insider . The price then quickly shed...
SBF's Ex Describes
Final Days of FTX
Oct 12, 2023 7:48 AM CDT
SBF's Ex Describes Final Days of FTX
Caroline Ellison says she was relieved she didn't have to lie anymore
- Sam Bankman-Fried's former top executive, testifying in Manhattan federal court Wednesday, blamed the FTX founder for corrupting her values so she could lie and steal and got emotional when describing the cryptocurrency empire's final days, saying the collapse of his businesses resulted in a "relief that I...
Israel Police Snip
'Another String' in
Oct 11, 2023 4:13 PM CDT
Israel Police Snip 'Another String' in Hamas' 'Bow'
Authorities say they've frozen terror group's crypto accounts
- The Israel-Hamas war is expected to only escalate , despite more than 2,100 lives on both sides already lost. Israeli police have announced one big move after Hamas' bloody attacks over the weekend, reporting on Tuesday that they'd frozen cryptocurrency accounts used by the terror group. Israeli police said...
SBF's Ex-Girlfriend: He
'Directed' Me to Break Law
Oct 10, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
SBF's Ex-Girlfriend: He 'Directed' Me to Break Law
Caroline Ellison, who ran his Alameda trading platform, pins the blame on Sam Bankman-Fried
- The government's star witness in its case against alleged crypto swindler Sam Bankman-Fried took the stand on Tuesday—and she pinned the blame squarely on him. "He directed me to commit these crimes," said Caroline Ellison, 28, per the
New York Times
. Ellison has a singular role...
Biggest Surprise of SBF Trial?
That It's Happening at All
Oct 2, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Biggest Surprise of SBF Trial? That It's Happening at All
Former poster boy for cryptocurrency is in court this week, and crypto world is rooting against him
- This week brings a milestone in the world of cryptocurrency—the trial of accused fraudster Sam Bankman-Fried begins Tuesday in New York. Bankman-Fried, or SBF, founded the FTX exchange that famously went belly-up and cost a lot of people—many of them everyday investors swayed by celebrity endorsements—a lot...
Crypto Founder's Sentence:
11,196 Years in Prison
Sep 8, 2023 2:43 PM CDT
Crypto Founder's Sentence: 11,196 Years in Prison
Faruk Fatih Ozer receives a very, very long sentence in Turkey over collapsed exchange
- Cryptocurrency is often linked to some mind-boggling numbers . Here is one more: 11,196. That is how many years the founder of a failed cryptocurrency exchange has been sentenced to serve in a Turkish prison, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Faruk Fatih Ozer received the 11-millenia term over the collapse...
Lawyer: SBF Is Living
on Bread, Water, PB
Aug 23, 2023 1:50 AM CDT
Lawyer: SBF Is Living on Bread, Water, PB
Vegan is having a hard time behind bars, lawyer says
- Sam Bankman-Fried is living entirely on bread, water, and occasionally peanut butter, according to a lawyer for the FTX founder. Bankman-Fried was earlier this month ordered to spend the time leading up to his October fraud trial in a Brooklyn jail rather than at his parents' house in Palo Alto,...
In Separate Hearings, Crypto
'Bonnie and Clyde' Plead Guilty
Aug 4, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
In Separate Hearings, Crypto 'Bonnie and Clyde' Plead Guilty
Ilya Lichtenstein, wife admit role in 2016 Bitfinex exchange hack
- Hours before former President Trump's arraignment in Washington, DC, on Thursday, a couple dubbed cryptocurrency's "Bonnie and Clyde" appeared in back-to-back hearings in the same federal courthouse. New York tech entrepreneur Ilya Lichtenstein and his wife Heather Morgan both pleaded guilty to charges of money laundering conspiracy...
Who Made Big
in $1B Fraud
Aug 2, 2023 9:19 AM CDT
Crypto Founder Who Made Big Claims Charged in $1B Fraud
SEC: Richard Heart bought $4M black diamond with proceeds from Hex, the 'highest appreciating asset' ever
- A cryptocurrency entrepreneur who paid more than $4 million for the world's largest black diamond allegedly purchased the rock with proceeds from a $1 billion crypto fraud. The SEC on Monday announced fraud charges against Hex founder Richard Heart, also known as Richard Schueler. Heart marketed the ethereum-based Hex...
Founder of Crypto Lender
Arrested on Fraud Charges
Jul 13, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Founder of Crypto Lender Arrested on Fraud Charges
Celsius Network already has filed Chapter 11
- Alexander Mashinsky, who founded the cryptocurrency lending platform Celsius Network, was arrested Thursday on federal charges. Prosecutors say Mashinsky mispresented the financial health of the company to investors, ABC News reports. At the same time, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission filed lawsuits saying the founder...
SEC Goes After Coinbase,
Biggest US Crypto Exchange
Jun 6, 2023 8:12 AM CDT
SEC Goes After Coinbase, Biggest US Crypto Exchange
Move comes one day after the agency's lawsuit against an even bigger player, Binance
- The hits keep coming for the crypto industry. One day after the SEC sued Binance , the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange, the agency went after Coinbase, the biggest exchange in the US. The SEC accused Coinbase of essentially operating as a securities exchange without registering as one, reports the
Jun 5, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
SEC Sues World's Biggest Crypto Exchange
Binance denies wrongdoing, but move rattles Bitcoin investors
- It's another big jolt to the world of crypto: The Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday accused Binance, the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange, of engaging in a slew of shady financial practices, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. In all the SEC filed 13 charges against Binance and co-founder...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.