Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 15, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Durham Report Slams FBI's Trump Probe
Special counsel cites confirmation bias among the flaws
- Special counsel John Durham issued his final report Monday after a four-year review of the FBI's investigation into possible connections between Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russian efforts to affect the election. The conclusions included sharp criticism of the FBI for relying on "raw, unanalyzed, and...
Trump Probe Into Russia
Investigation Yields Little
Jan 27, 2023 11:50 AM CST
Trump Probe Into Russia Investigation Yields Little
'NYT' finds investigation relied on dubious intelligence, as critics claimed of the Russia probe
- Then-attorney general Bill Barr ordered an investigation into the handling of the Trump-Russia investigation in 2019, saying he wanted to know if "officials abused their power and put their thumb on the scale" in pursuing what critics called a "witch hunt." A year later, he stated "...
Russian Analyst Who Fed
Steele Dossier Is Charged
Nov 4, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
Russian Analyst Who Fed Steele Dossier Is Charged
Indictment accuses Igor Danchenko of lying to the FBI
- A Russian analyst who contributed to a dossier of Democratic-funded research into ties between Russia and Donald Trump was indicted Thursday on charges of lying to the FBI about his sources of information. The case against Igor Danchenko is part of special counsel John Durham's ongoing investigation into the...
Oct 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Trump Wants Pulitzers Yanked After 'Politically Motivated Farce'
Ex-president claims 'NYT,' 'WaPo' reporting on Russian interference in 2016 election was 'shoddy'
- Former President Trump is still fuming about the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with the Russians before the 2016 election, and now he wants repercussions for two newspapers that reported on it and jointly won the Pulitzer for national reporting in 2018. The former president released a statement Sunday...
Nov 28, 2020 3:20 PM CST
Ex-Trump Campaign Aide Files Suit Over 'Spying'
He says federal officials crossed the line
- A former Trump campaign associate who was the target of a secret surveillance warrant during the FBI's Russia investigation says in a federal lawsuit that he was the victim of "unlawful spying." The suit from Carter Page alleges a series of omissions and errors made by FBI...
Delves Into Story of
Steele Dossier's 'Source 3'
Oct 30, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Delves Into Story of Steele Dossier's 'Source 3'
It comes up with a name: Olga Galkina
- In a lengthy piece on the so-called Steele Dossier, the
Wall Street Journal
acknowledges from the get-go that the bulk of the allegations—about President Trump and Russia and assembled by former British spy Christopher Steele—have been "widely discredited." But that's not what the paper wanted...
New SCOTUS Term Starts
Quietly, but That Could Change
Oct 5, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
New SCOTUS Term Starts Quietly, but That Could Change
The term is so far short on high-profile cases, but perhaps not for long
- The Supreme Court began its new term Monday with a remembrance of "a dear friend and a treasured colleague," the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Chief Justice John Roberts paid tribute to Ginsburg as the court resumed its work via telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic. Roberts said...
Sep 5, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Ex-FBI Agent: White House Behavior Is 'Suspicious'
Peter Strzok talks to the press before his book comes out
- Peter Strzok spent his FBI career hunting Russian and Chinese spies, but after news broke of derogatory text messages he had sent about President Trump, he came to feel like he was the one being hunted, the AP reports. There were menacing phone calls and messages from strangers, and anxious...
Senate Panel: Yes, Russia
Interfered in 2016 Election
Aug 18, 2020 11:16 AM CDT
Senate Panel: Yes, Russia Interfered in 2016 Election
But it reaches no conclusion on whether the Trump campaign conspired with Kremlin
- Russia launched an aggressive effort to interfere in the 2016 election on behalf of Donald Trump, and Trump associates who were in regular touch with Russians throughout the campaign were eager to benefit from the help, a Senate panel concluded Tuesday in the fifth and final report in its investigation,...
Barr's Investigation of Russia
Probe Getting First Guilty Plea
Aug 14, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Barr's Investigation of Russia Probe Getting First Guilty Plea
False statement count involves altering a government email
- A former FBI lawyer will plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from US Attorney John Durham's investigation into the probe of ties between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign. Kevin Clinesmith will plead guilty to one count of making a false statement...
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book:
'We Made Mistakes'
Jul 13, 2020 7:35 PM CDT
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book: 'We Made Mistakes'
Andrew Weissmann plans to cover efforts to hinder investigation
- A top prosecutor for special counsel Robert Mueller has a book coming out this fall about the two-year investigation into possible ties between Russia and the 2016 campaign of President Trump. Random House announced Monday that Andrew Weissmann's
Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation
will be published Sept....
Russia Investigation Material
to Remain Secret Past Election
Jul 2, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Russia Investigation Material to Remain Secret Past Election
Supreme Court won't decide on matter until next year
- House Democrats are unlikely to see secret material from Robert Mueller's Russia investigation before Election Day because of a move by the Supreme Court on Thursday. In what
reports is a victory for the White House, the court said it would take up the case on whether...
Supreme Court Keeps
Mueller Material Secret
May 20, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Supreme Court Keeps Mueller Material Secret
The high court won't allow grand jury testimony to be released
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday temporarily prevented the House of Representatives from obtaining secret grand jury testimony from special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, the AP reports. The court's unsigned order keeps previously undisclosed details from the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election out of the...
Wants to Subpoena
Russia Probe Officials
May 19, 2020 1:21 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham Wants to Subpoena Russia Probe Officials
Senator schedules vote that would allow him to subpoena more than 50 officials
- Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham is scheduling a vote that would allow him to subpoena more than 50 current and former officials who were involved in the Justice Department’s investigation of Russian involvement in the 2016 US presidential campaign, as President Trump and his allies have launched a...
Michael Flynn Probe
Reveals 'Systematic Abuse'
May 16, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Michael Flynn Probe Reveals 'Systematic Abuse'
Glenn Greenwald becomes an unexpected ally
- Michael Flynn has found himself an unexpected defender. Writing at the Intercept —a distinctly left-of-center news source—Glenn Greenwald argues that the Flynn investigation was fishy to start with and revealed just how biased US security agencies have become. "Flynn is a right-wing, hawkish general whose views on...
Feds Dropping Case Against
2 Firms in Mueller Probe
Mar 17, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
Feds Dropping Case Against 2 Firms in Mueller Probe
'No prospect of meaningful punishment' for Russian companies
- The Justice Department is moving to drop charges against two Russian companies that were accused of funding a social media campaign to sway American public opinion during the 2016 election. Prosecutors said they concluded that a trial, against a corporate defendant with no presence in the United States and no...
Judge Has 'Grave Concerns'
About Mueller Report
Mar 6, 2020 4:10 AM CST
Judge Has 'Grave Concerns' About Mueller Report
He slams Barr's handling of the report last year
- A federal judge says he has "grave concerns" about how Attorney General William Barr handled the release of Robert Mueller's report on the Russia investigation last year—and he's not convinced all the redactions were made for legitimate reasons. US District Court Judge Reggie Walton has demanded...
Trump Calls Stone
Feb 11, 2020 1:36 AM CST
Trump Calls Stone Sentencing Request 'Disgraceful'
Prosecutors recommend 7 to 9 years
- In a move deemed "disgraceful" by President Trump, federal prosecutors have recommended a sentence of 7 to 9 years for his old friend and former campaign adviser Roger Stone. In a sentencing memo filed Monday, prosecutors asked for a sentence of 87 to 108 months for the 67-year-old, saying...
Michael Flynn Has a
Sudden Change of Heart
Jan 15, 2020 1:54 AM CST
Michael Flynn Has a Sudden Change of Heart
Wants to withdraw his guilty plea, says Justice Department acted in 'bad faith'
- Former Trump administration national security adviser Michael Flynn filed court papers Tuesday to withdraw his guilty plea, saying federal prosecutors had acted in "bad faith" and broken their end of the bargain when they sought prison time for him, the AP reports. The request came one week after the...
Secretive Court Rebukes FBI
Over Errors in Russia Probe
Dec 18, 2019 3:59 AM CST
Secretive Court Rebukes FBI Over Errors in Russia Probe
Order could lead to surveillance changes
- The chief judge of a secretive surveillance court said Tuesday that the FBI provided "unsupported" information when it applied to eavesdrop on a former Trump campaign adviser and directed the bureau to report back by next month on what steps it was taking to fix the problems. The four-page...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.