Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2018 Pyeongchang Olympics
Stories 1 - 20 |
Olympics Figure Skater
Dies at 20 in Moscow
Jul 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Olympics Figure Skater Dies at 20 in Moscow
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya was born in Russia but won a world junior title for Australia
- A former figure skating champion who was born in Russia but skated for Australia has died in Moscow at the age of 20, CNN reports. Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya's death was confirmed Saturday by skating officials , but no cause was given. A pairs' figure skater, Alexandrovskaya obtained Australian citizenship in 2016...
Russia Behind Olympics
Feb 25, 2018 12:13 PM CST
Russia Behind Olympics Cyberattack: Officials
Spies tried to make it appear as if North Korea was behind attack, officials say
- The Pyeongchang Olympics were hacked—by Russian spies who tried to make it look as though the hacking was the work of North Korean spies, sources tell the
. South Korean officials have acknowledged a cyberattack hit the games during the Opening Ceremonies, causing disruptions to the internet and...
Olympics Ratings Are
Feb 25, 2018 10:48 AM CST
Olympics Ratings Are Significantly Down
And that could be bad news for NBC
- Was NBC's $12 billion investment in the Olympics a good idea? Based on the ratings from the Pyeongchang games, it's not clear. Viewership in the coveted 18-49 demographic is down 24% compared to the winter games in Sochi four years ago, CNN reports, though NBC points out it'...
Games Are Closed
Feb 25, 2018 7:25 AM CST
Pyeongchang Games Are Closed
Olympic flag has passed to Beijing after a very political Winter Olympics
- The president of the International Olympic Committee has declared the Pyeongchang Games closed, reports the AP , marking the end of this year's Winter Olympics. Thomas Bach made the declaration during closing ceremonies held before tens of thousands on the eastern end of the Korean Peninsula. As part of the...
S. Korea: N. Korea
Willing to Talk to US
Feb 25, 2018 6:07 AM CST
S. Korea: N. Korea Willing to Talk to US
Unlikely announcement amid Winter Olympics' closing ceremonies
- The South Korean president's office says a North Korean delegate to the Olympics has said Pyongyang is willing to hold talks with the US, reports the AP . The Blue House, South Korea's presidential office, reported the news during the games' closing ceremony. The North has "ample intentions...
She Just Won 2 Golds
in 2 Different Sports
Feb 24, 2018 7:30 AM CST
She Just Won 2 Golds in 2 Different Sports
Ester Ledecka of Czech Republic conquers snowboarding and skiing
- The American gold in curling wasn't the only remarkable story to emerge from the Pyeongchang Olympics overnight: Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic managed to make a little history. As NPR reports, the 22-year-old Ledecka won the gold in the snowboard parallel giant slalom, making her the first woman...
To World's Surprise, America
Takes Gold in Curling
Feb 24, 2018 5:23 AM CST
To World's Surprise, America Takes Gold in Curling
Team USA upsets Sweden, after beating Canada
- Team USA has pulled off one of its biggest surprises of these Olympics: curling gold. The American men scored a decisive upset of Sweden as John Shuster skipped the United States to a 10-7 victory on Saturday. It's only the second curling medal in US history. Shuster was part...
As Ivanka Arrives in S. Korea,
One Big Question Lingers
Feb 23, 2018 8:18 AM CST
As Ivanka Arrives in S. Korea, One Big Question Lingers
Will she meet anyone from the North?
- Ivanka Trump received a red-carpet welcome as she arrived in South Korea on Friday for a trip with two main official components: She dines with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Friday evening and will attend the closing ceremony of the Olympics Sunday to cheer on US athletes. Coverage, however,...
US Medal Haul Is
Well Below Expectations
Feb 23, 2018 7:02 AM CST
US Medal Haul Is Well Below Expectations
But US Curling 'rejects' have a shot at gold
- Bad news for Russian hopes of marching under their own flag: The BBC reports that the Russian Bobsleigh Federation says Nadezhda Sergeeva, 30, has tested positive for a banned heart drug. Sergeeva, the second Russian to test positive for a banned substance, placed 12th in the two-woman bobsleigh event on...
Skater Nearly Booted for
Slacking Off Wins Gold
Feb 23, 2018 12:45 AM CST
Skater Nearly Booted for Slacking Off Wins Gold
Alina Zagitova finished ahead of compatriot, 18
- A few years back, Alina Zagitova nearly was sent home from training for not working hard enough. Now, she heads home with Olympic gold, the first for the Russians at the Pyeongchang Olympics. A grateful nation—upset that their flag, anthem, and dozens of athletes were banned from the games...
Her Other Goal
in South Korea
Feb 22, 2018 2:08 PM CST
Vonn Completes Her Other Goal in South Korea
She scattered some of her grandpa's ashes near the downhill ski course
- Lindsey Vonn came to South Korea with the goal of taking home an Olympic medal and leaving something even more special behind. She did both. The American ski great said Thursday she recently scattered some of the ashes of her grandfather, who served during the Korean War, on a rock...
N. Korea's Olympic Delegation
Head: Man Blamed for Deaths
Feb 22, 2018 8:43 AM CST
N. Korea's Olympic Delegation Head: Man Blamed for Deaths
2010 attack killed 46 South Korean sailors
- South Korea is about to host a man blamed for the killing of 46 of its citizens as part of the closing ceremonies for the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. Kim Yong Chol—who formerly led the North Korean military intelligence agency blamed for the deadly 2010 attack on South Korean ship...
Vonn Fails to Finish
Final Olympic Race
Feb 22, 2018 7:08 AM CST
Vonn Fails to Finish Final Olympic Race
Mikaela Shiffrin won the silver in same race
- The slalom portion of the women's Alpine combined was the last race of American star Lindsay Vonn's Olympic career—but the medal went to teammate Mikaela Shiffrin. The 22-year-old won silver after Vonn went off course just 10 seconds into her slalom on Thursday, the AP reports. This...
US Wins First Hockey Gold
in 20 Years
Feb 22, 2018 6:17 AM CST
US Wins First Hockey Gold in 20 Years
USA women beat Canada in tiebreaker shootout
- The United States has beaten Canada in a shootout to win their first Olympic gold since 1998 in women's hockey. Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scored in the first extra round of the first shootout tiebreaker in Olympic women's hockey history on Thursday to give the United States the gold medal...
US Women Pull Off
Major Olympic Upset
Feb 21, 2018 6:50 AM CST
US Women Pull Off Major Olympic Upset
Lindsay Vonn takes bronze in final Olympic downhill
- The American women's cross-country ski team pulled off a major upset in Pyeongchang Wednesday, winning gold in the team sprint—the first-ever medal for the US women's team. The only other American to win a cross-country ski medal was Bill Koch, who won silver in the 30-kilometer race...
N. Korea Canceled Secret
Pence Meeting at Last Minute
Feb 21, 2018 2:25 AM CST
N. Korea Canceled Secret Pence Meeting at Last Minute
Pence's office says meeting was 'dangled'
- Vice President Mike Pence had planned to hold a secret meeting with North Korean officials while he was in Pyeongchang for the Winter Olympics, but the North Koreans backed out at the last minute, according to the White House. "North Korea dangled a meeting in hopes of the vice...
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising
Eyebrows at the Olympics
Feb 20, 2018 12:22 PM CST
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising Eyebrows at the Olympics
Elizabeth Swaney didn't do any tricks on her halfpipe run, deliberately
- On the surface, there's nothing at all ordinary or subpar about a 33-year-old Berkeley and Harvard grad who's competing with the best of the best at the Olympics. Yet Elizabeth Swaney has caused a hubbub in Pyeongchang, after turning in what Digg labels a "hilariously mediocre" ski...
Speedskater for N. Korea
Has a Really Rough Race
Feb 20, 2018 11:10 AM CST
Speedskater for N. Korea Has a Really Rough Race
Jong Kwang Bom crashes—twice
- In his defense, Jong Kwang Bom is only 17 and "clearly" had no business lining up to race as an Olympic speedskater for North Korea, per a post at
. But race he did, and things did not end well. Jong fell almost immediately after the start of...
'Greatest Ice Dancers
Ever' Take Olympic Gold
Feb 20, 2018 6:21 AM CST
'Greatest Ice Dancers Ever' Take Olympic Gold
French team that suffered malfunction was a close second
- American siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani have a bronze medal to be proud of, France's Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron broke the record for the highest free-dance score, but Olympic ice dancing gold went to Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir on Tuesday,
reports. The pair, who...
They Were Going for a Medal.
Then 'in a Flash, Disaster'
Feb 20, 2018 12:33 AM CST
They Were Going for a Medal. Then 'in a Flash, Disaster'
American figure skaters Madison Chock, Evan Bates tumble to the ice during a spin
- Olympic figure skaters in Pyeongchang have confronted wardrobe malfunctions and political controversy , but heartbreak is what came for American partners Madison Chock and Evan Bates. Per
, both skaters tumbled to the ice Tuesday during their long program after their skate blades got caught up together during a combination...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.