Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Crown Prince Unusually Candid
About Coverage of Daughter
Nov 30, 2021 4:48 PM CST
Crown Prince Unusually Candid About Coverage of Daughter
Crown prince had choice words about 'fabrications,' response to stories
- Prince Akishino of Japan has some choice words about the media coverage of his daughter Mako and her wedding. The former Japanese princess, now a commoner and a New Yorker , was subject to intense and unflattering media scrutiny, and her dad is not pleased—not with tabloids, not with online...
Ex-Princess Who Married
Commoner Now a New Yorker
Nov 15, 2021 3:58 AM CST
Ex-Princess Who Married Commoner Now a New Yorker
Japan's former princess, Mako, arrived Sunday
- "Princess Mako," who is in actuality no longer a princess , arrived in the US Sunday. The daughter of Japan's Crown Prince Akishino gave up her royal title to marry a commoner , and he has a job at a law firm in New York City, the BBC reports....
Is No Longer a Princess
Oct 26, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
Princess Mako Marries Commoner, Is No Longer a Princess
She now has a surname for the first time, that of her husband
- Japanese Princess Mako married a commoner and lost her royal status Tuesday in a union that has split public opinion after a three-year delay caused by a financial dispute involving her new mother-in-law. The marriage document for Mako and Kei Komuro was submitted by a palace official Tuesday morning and...
Princess Mako Will Still Marry
a Commoner, but With a Hitch
Sep 27, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Princess Mako Will Still Marry a Commoner, but With a Hitch
Japanese princess will forgo $1.35M payment to give up royal status
- It's been a bumpy road for Japan's Princess Mako and her fiance, college sweetheart Kei Komuro, as they've prepared for their wedding over the past three-plus years, with controversy swirling over the finances of Komuro's family. At least the couple, both 29, could console themselves with...
Things Aren't Looking Great
for Princess Mako's Wedding
Nov 30, 2020 2:26 PM CST
Things Aren't Looking Great for Princess Mako's Wedding
She pushed the date off again, and her dad says the Japanese people aren't into it
- It looks like Princess Mako's long-delayed wedding isn't imminent. The Japanese princess, who became engaged to Kei Komuro in 2017, had first planned to marry him a year later but that date was pushed off, with the couple saying the wedding would happen in 2020. In early November,...
A Japanese Love Story
Hits One More Hurdle
Aug 9, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
A Japanese Love Story Hits One More Hurdle
Family of Japan's Princess Mako worried about money issue with commoner boyfriend's family
- Japan may be a losing a princess , but the imperial family sure isn't making the process an easy one: A proposed wedding between Princess Mako and her non-royal college sweetheart has hit yet another bump. As Kyodo News reports, the princess' family is worried about a money issue swirling...
Japan Has Issue
With Word Used to
Describe Princess' Fiancé
Jul 20, 2018 7:12 AM CDT
Japan Has Issue With Word Used to Describe Princess' Fiancé
Imperial Household Agency asked Fordham to amend a press release
- One word in a press release put out by Fordham University Law School in New York has attracted international attention—attention strong enough to get Fordham to tweak the release. The egregious word? "Fiancé." It was written in reference to Kei Komuro, who is set to begin studying...
Japanese Princess Delays
Wedding, Cites 'Immaturity'
Feb 6, 2018 10:35 AM CST
Japanese Princess Delays Wedding, Cites 'Immaturity'
Mako's much anticipated wedding to a commoner gets pushed back to at least 2020
- Japan's Princess Mako will remain a princess a little longer: The emperor's granddaughter, who announced last year that she planned to marry a commoner, is delaying that union, reports Reuters . Unlike certain other royals planning to marry commoners , Mako must rescind her royal status when she marries Kei...
Japan Emperor Will Be
First to Abdicate in 200 Years
Dec 1, 2017 5:31 AM CST
Japan Emperor Will Be First to Abdicate in 200 Years
Emperor Akihito will step down on April 30, 2019
- Japan's much admired Emperor Akihito is set to abdicate on April 30, 2019, at age 85 in the first such departure from the Chrysanthemum Throne in about 200 years, the government said Friday. Akihito's elder son Crown Prince Naruhito will ascend the throne a day later, beginning a...
Japan Is Losing a Princess
Sep 3, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
Japan Is Losing a Princess
Princess Mako confirms engagement that will lead to her becoming a commoner
- Japanese Princess Mako on Sunday confirmed she is getting married to a university classmate , one who won her heart with bright smiles and sincerity, the AP reports. Emperor Akihito's oldest grandchild and fiancé Kei Komuro, both 25, said at a news conference that their relationship started when the princess...
of Japan to Wed
... and Become
May 16, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
Princess Mako of Japan to Wed ... and Become a Commoner
The 25-year-old will marry former classmate Kei Komuro
- Princess Mako, the granddaughter of Japan's emperor, is getting married to an ocean lover who can ski, play the violin, and cook. The news comes via public broadcaster NHK TV and has been confirmed by the Imperial Household Agency, reports the
. Kei Komuro, the man who won...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.