Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Senator on
'In Oklahoma, You
Don't Do This'
Nov 15, 2023 7:21 AM CST
GOP Senator on Teamsters Boss: 'In Oklahoma, You Don't Do This'
Markwayne Mullin says he was showing 'Oklahoma values' in trying to fight Sean O'Brien at hearing
- A fight between the Teamsters union chief and a Republican senator almost got physical Tuesday and had to be refereed by Bernie Sanders at a Senate meeting on labor unions that "went off the rails," per the Daily Beast . After the verbal back-and-forth had ended, that GOP senator,...
Nasty Flesh-Eating Parasite
Now 'Endemic' in US
Oct 20, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Nasty Flesh-Eating Parasite Now 'Endemic' in US
Leishmaniasis, which can lead to life-long scarring, is appearing in southern states
- A flesh-eating parasite once thought to concern only those in tropical locales is now "endemic" in the US. Leishmania mexicana is believed to be spreading through sand flies in the southern US, particularly Texas, according to an analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The parasite triggers...
Judge Who Sent
500+ Texts During
Murder Trial Might
Lose Her Job
Oct 12, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Judge Who Sent 500+ Texts During Murder Trial Might Lose Her Job
Chief justice of Oklahoma's top court recommends Traci Soderstrom's removal
- A new Oklahoma judge could lose her job for sending more than 500 texts to her bailiff during a murder trial , including messages mocking the prosecutor, praising the defense attorney, and calling a key witness a liar. The chief justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court recommended the removal of Lincoln...
Woman on Lawn Mower
Killed by Small Plane
Oct 2, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Woman on Lawn Mower Killed by Small Plane
Pilot tried to pull up when he saw woman at Oklahoma airport, authorities say
- A woman on a lawn mower was pronounced dead at the scene Friday after she was hit by a small plane at an airport, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol says. Authorities say 27-year-old Samantha Hayes suffered a head injury when she was hit by the wing of a 1972 Bonanza A36...
Suspect in Murder
of Illinois Family Found
Dead in Vehicle
Sep 20, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Suspect in Murder of Illinois Family Found Dead in Vehicle
Investigators believe Nathaniel Huey Jr. shot himself after police chase, crash
- A suspect in the killings of a Chicago-area family and their three dogs died on a highway in Oklahoma on Wednesday, authorities say. Romeoville Deputy Chief Chris Burne said 31-year-old Illinois resident Nathaniel Huey Jr. and a woman also considered a person of interest were in a vehicle that police...
Country Star With No. 1 Song:
I Was Jailed for Being 'Lippy'
Sep 8, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
Country Star With No. 1 Song: I Was Jailed for Being 'Lippy'
Zach Bryan apologizes for incident with police officer in Oklahoma on Thursday
- Country music star Zach Bryan was arrested by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and jailed briefly Thursday in northeastern Oklahoma, according to a video posted on his account on the social media site X, formerly Twitter. Bryan said he was driving through Vinita, about 55 miles northeast of Tulsa, when his...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
5 Dead in Oklahoma City
Aug 17, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
5 Dead in Oklahoma City Family Shooting
Police say man shot estranged wife, their three children, and himself
- A 28-year-old man fatally shot his three young children and his estranged wife before taking his own life, Oklahoma City police said Thursday. Investigators have not determined a motive, Sgt. Gary Knight said. "They're still trying to figure out what led up to this," Knight said. "...
That Was No Bass a Boy
Caught in an Oklahoma Pond
in case you missed it
Jul 23, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
That Was No Bass a Boy Caught in an Oklahoma Pond
11-year-old tries to catch invasive pacu, a piranha cousin, again after releasing it
- "We're used to just catching a few bass or catfish" in the pond behind her family's house, Janna Clinton said. "I mean, nothing with human-like teeth." But her son Charlie's screaming when fishing over the weekend indicated that something was up, though she thought...
Her Phone During
Trial Over Toddler's
Jul 21, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge Scrolled Her Phone During Trial Over Toddler's Beating Death
DA calls behavior 'shocking'
- An Oklahoma judge is under scrutiny after courtroom cameras revealed her surreptitiously scrolling her smartphone during a trial regarding the 2018 beating death of a 2-year-old boy. The
obtained security videos from the courtroom, which show Lincoln County District Judge Traci Soderstrom texting, looking at Facebook, and sending GIFs...
Reparations Suit Over
Tulsa Race Massacre
Jul 9, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
Judge Dismisses Reparations Suit Over Tulsa Race Massacre
Order says city's arguments were persuasive
- A judge has rejected a lawsuit seeking reparations for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, a case brought on behalf of three survivors of the attack, all over 100 years old. Judge Caroline Wall on Friday dismissed with prejudice the suit trying to force the City of Tulsa and others to...
Texas to Overheated Locals:
Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Jun 21, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Texas to Overheated Locals: Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Other parts of South also suffering from sweltering temps, post-storm power outages
- Texas' power grid operator asked residents Tuesday to voluntarily cut back on electricity due to anticipated record demand on the system, as a heat wave kept large swaths of the state and southern US in triple-digit temperatures. On the last day of spring, the sweltering heat felt more like the...
Jun 5, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
Board OKs Religious School Funded by Taxpayers
Oklahoma's attorney general calls the plan for the school, which would be a US first, unconstitutional
- A state school board voted Monday to approve what would be the first publicly funded religious school in the nation, despite a warning from Oklahoma's attorney general that the decision was unconstitutional. The Statewide Virtual Charter School Board voted 3-2 to approve the application by the Catholic Archdiocese of...
GOP Senator at
'I Don't Want Reality'
Jun 1, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
GOP Senator at Committee Hearing: 'I Don't Want Reality'
Sen. Markwayne Mullin draws laughs while discussing the teaching of race in schools
- A Republican senator was trying to draw attention to a book about race taught in schools, but he instead made himself a laughingstock Wednesday during a committee hearing on child care. During a testy exchange, Oklahoma Sen. Markwayne Mullin told a witness that "I don't want reality,"...
Cops Rushing Toward Person in
Distress Get Quite the Surprise
in case you missed it
May 14, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Cops Rushing Toward Person in Distress Get Quite the Surprise
Goat was making humanlike sounds that sent Oklahoma police officers into a panic
- Two police officers in Oklahoma got quite the surprise earlier this week while coming to the aid of what they thought was a person in distress. CBS News reports that the Enid Police Department's David Sneed and Neal Storey responded Monday to a call reporting someone crying for help,...
Supreme Court Blocks
Richard Glossip’s Execution
May 5, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
Supreme Court Blocks Richard Glossip’s Execution
Justices suspend May 18 date so they can consider the Oklahoma case
- The Supreme Court on Friday blocked Oklahoma from executing death row inmate Richard Glossip after the state's attorney general agreed Glossip's life should be spared. Glossip had been scheduled to be put to death on May 18 despite statements by new Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond that he...
Police Give First Major Update
on 7 Found Dead in Oklahoma
May 4, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Police Give First Major Update on 7 Found Dead in Oklahoma
Their identities have been confirmed as missing teens, killer, and his step-family
- Police on Wednesday identified the seven people found dead at the home of an Oklahoma sex offender as missing teens Ivy Webster, 14, and Brittany Brewer, 15; their friend Tiffany Guess, 13; her siblings Michael Mayo, 15, and Rylee Allen, 17; and the siblings' mom, Holly Guess, 35. The final...
Text From Rapist
Among 7 Dead in
Is All on You'
May 3, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Text From Rapist Among 7 Dead in Oklahoma: 'This Is All on You'
Family members say Jesse McFadden lashed out on eve of child pornography trial
- Family members of some of the seven people found dead Monday on the rural Oklahoma property of Jesse McFadden believe the convicted rapist killed his wife, his three teenage stepchildren, and two friends of his stepdaughter before killing himself in the hours before he was to appear in a Muskogee...
Woman Says Oklahoma Victims
Include Daughter, 3 Grandkids
May 2, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Woman Says Oklahoma Victims Include Daughter, 3 Grandkids
She says Jesse McFadden was controlling, 'standoffish'
- Officials in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma haven't confirmed the names and causes of death of all seven people found dead on a rural property Monday, but a grim picture is emerging through statements from family members. Janette Mayo tells the AP that the sheriff's office informed her late Monday...
Cops in Search of
Missing Girls Find 7 Bodies
May 2, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
'Everybody's Dead': Cops in Search of Missing Girls Find 7 Bodies
Missing teens are believed to be among the dead
- The search for two missing teenage girls in Oklahoma came to a horrific end Monday with the discovery of seven bodies. Authorities say the girls, 14-year-old Ivy Webster and 16-year-old Brittany Brewer, are among the bodies found, but the medical examiner has not yet confirmed identities. "Everybody's dead,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.